• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5-750, AMD or wait for Sandy?

Hellbilly

n00b
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
51
So, i've been running a e6750 65nm Conroe for the past 3 years or even more, on a Gigabyte p35-ds3r and it's been a rock solid setup, but it's starting to show it's age in what i do.

I'm a amateur photographer and do alot of editing in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, usually open together and i've noticed it's starting to slow down alot when i have multiple images open at a time. I also do gaming, which is mostly BF BC2.

So the question is, if i get either a i5-750, x4 965 BE or a X6 1055T, will it be enough for the coming 3 years like my last system did, or am i better off waiting for Sandy Bridge?

i7 x58 is the least option as it's really expensive in my little country of Iceland.

Any help appreciated.
 
well I would say get an AMD combo from Microcenter, some board end up being free, but either way you get at least $40 off any AMD compatible board in stock

I personally have purchased 9 AMD Phenom II 555 x2 that unlocked to full Quad cores and every last one of them hits a solid 3.6GHz or better, in fact most of them I got hit a solid 4.0GHz

the Phenom II 555 unlocked and OC'ed easily runs neck and neck in most cases with the i5 750/760

also if you do not have a Microcenter in your area I have helped quite a few by purchasing items from MC and mailing them, I could even cherry pick you a CPU, and test it to make sure you get an unlockable and OC'able unit
 
You can buy my i5 750 and Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R combo once SB comes out. :D I will likely be switching to it. This is kinda weird , but I'm on my bros machine that has an E6750 that he has had about the same amount of time. I had a recent hard drive crash so I am using this for now.

If you are doing occasional intensive tasks and some gaming then the i5 is an amazing upgrade. If the E6750 lasted you that long then the i5 definitely will as well. The cost and performance difference of an i7 X58 system is not worth it at all. It is only for the very high end SLI systems.

^^^ He is Iceland not by a Microcenter. :)
 
Well I may have to use you in the future as well. :D I see you live in Texas as well, so not to far away from me either being in South Dakota. I'll add you to my friends list. haha
 
I would wait a month and a half for sandy bridge. I expect AMD to have to seriously reduce prices if the SB prices are true. Remember Intel will have a 30 to 50% IPC advantage so a 3.4GHz / 3.8 TB 2600K SB chip at stock will be equivalent to AMD Phenom 2 at around 5 GHz+. This will put some downward pressure on prices until AMD can get their Bulldozer platform out next Summer.
 
the i5 750 is going to be plenty powerful for future games I think, and if not you can OC it but maybe the SB prices will be awesome and everyone will upgrade to it. I'm waiting for ivy bridge because i've already got an i5 750
 
Thanks for the advice.

I really do want an i5-750 and i bet it's more then enough for me, but something is telling me to wait for SB, if not for only hoping for price cuts on other stuff.

And thanks for the shipping offer, i might take you up on that some day :)
 
Get an i5, overkill for most people! After a while you can get a decent cooler and clock it up to 4ghz for a little extra boost =)
 
if x58 price scares you off then dont bother with sandy.

either get i5 now or buy i5 after sandy launch (for less).
 
Since SB is so close to release, I'd wait. The i5-750 certainly is a great performer and I love mine, but since you plan on holding onto this hardware for a while, you might as well at least see how much benefit you can gain from the new platform and decide then.
 
Unless you can get a great deal on an 1156 setup (like the recent 875K microcenter deal), i'd wait for 1155 sandy bridge
 
In the same boat here with the same processor (e6750) and I am going to wait until January to see what SB has to offer. If anything, it'll drive down the pricing of current Intel offerings and save me some money!
 
In the same boat here with the same processor (e6750) and I am going to wait until January to see what SB has to offer. If anything, it'll drive down the pricing of current Intel offerings and save me some money!

Drive it down how? Intel phases their CPUs, they don't reduce price. I'll eat crow if Intel finally decides to changes this policy, but I doubt the 750/60's will drop below the MC price of $149/169. Sure mobo prices will probably drop, but I don't expect much else to budge. My reference is how they handled the Yorkfields. Try to remember if you ever saw the Q9550 dip below the MC sale prices.

Just make sure your expectations are reasonable, that's all I'm saying :cool:
 
Hell,

When do you need the machine by? If you need to do something now, I'd do the i5 - i7. Check to see if you're software can make use of hyperthreading. If so, look at the i7 860, if not the i5 750 or 760. If you can wai two months (if you get availability the same time we do in the US), go for the SB.
 
i would go the i5 route or wait for a sandy i3 or i5. another option for now is to use a cuda capable video card for acceleration and use the appropriate plugin. (not sure if ati cards do it now or not). this graph is from toms where they tested a 2,4,6 core processor and used gpu acceleration for both, the numbers are jaw dropping to say the least.

CHART%2010.png
 
Choose the one you are loyal to.

That works on the low to mid end but not always on the high end. In a few weeks when the 2600K arrives AMD will have absolutely nothing any near as fast as that being that they have no stock chips anywhere near 4.5 to 5.0 GHz. I was loyal with AMD for years but my last 2 purchases had to go to Intel for the same reason.
 
While i was aware that Sandy Bridge was going to be a huge improvement in over all computing, i was under the impression that its advantage in gaming over I7 was going to be, marginal at best???
 
I am in the SAME boat... but with a Pentium D 805. By the way, I just found out last night there is a newer AMD 970BE chip, incase you were going to wind up with the (100mhz less) 965BE.

.....and yeah man, I'll just add if you really want something from the states thats more in Iceland.... just use a trusted person here on [H] (with tons of heatware and ebay reps maybe?... there's some very trusting people here if you research and ask)

They could just mail you the parts from over here... unless thats somehow illegal (check the import laws lol, I'm not responsible just in case)
 
Just wait! Only a few more weeks. Trust me you'll be happy you did. The i5, i7 will be fun for a good while and then after a couple months you'll be used to it and desire more. Then you'll be contemplating Sandy again.
 
While i was aware that Sandy Bridge was going to be a huge improvement in over all computing, i was under the impression that its advantage in gaming over I7 was going to be, marginal at best???

Even if there's no benefit for game performance necessarily you can notice in game the thermal factors alone really attract me.

The processor is significantly more efficient and runs significantly cooler which means reliability and a long life, and therefore in my eyes a good longer term investment.
 
Arn't they going to be luanching sandy's low end to to high end?

You could be waiting for a while.
 
Arn't they going to be luanching sandy's low end to to high end?

Actually the reverse is more accurate. i5 and i7 quad cores including the 2500K and 2600K are supposed to be launched in less than 1 month. The dual core i3s will come later.
 
Actually the reverse is more accurate. i5 and i7 quad cores including the 2500K and 2600K are supposed to be launched in less than 1 month. The dual core i3s will come later.

Oh, alright. Just like Nehalamen. I thought I heard a rumor it was going to be Htpc- Enthusiast- server, but i guess not.
 
Wait - It's too close to SB.

There will likely be a glut of people selling off their old mobo/cpu/ram after going to SB. So even if you wait and decide that an i5 is still good enough, you'll be rewarded by some great used deals.
 
Back
Top