i5-3550/H77 or i5-3570/Z77?

akbg

n00b
Any suggestion what to choose?

I now H77 I cant overclock but I don't really need that...And I wouldn't use more than 1 PCIe x16. (HD7850).

How much performance I will loose if I choose H77/i5-3550 platform?

Are mobos with H77 with same components as Z77 (I mean the quality).

What about mATX vs ATX.

Any good combos MB+CPU?

thanks for all replays

What will you be doing with the new CPU and what's your overall budget for the combo?

Mostly standard home use + MMORPG (Lineage, Aion and they like 8+gb RAM, SSD and good video+cpu)

Budget: I can afford both combos but is always good to save some $...it's 50-70$ difference

I don't think you'd lose much of anything by going with the H77 over the Z77 if you're not OCing. The only difference would be that most manufacturers gear their high end components to high end motherboards, but pretty much any motherboard with solid caps nowadays is probably good for 10 years or more. ATX vs. mATX is personal preference.

Again, if you're not OCing, you can save yourself some money going with the 3550. The draw of the 3570k is the unlocked multiplier. The difference in clock speed and performance probably isn't worth the extra cash at stock speeds.

Last edited:
The real difference between the H77 and the Z77 is the target market and the features. H77 chipset is generally viewed as a general purpose board (for most of the poeple in my family this is the board for them). The Z77 is goin to be more of a performance designed board for people who use the extra features; like RAID, the ability to overclock, etc. In the base configuration there really isnt a better performing chipset it is the extra features that can make a difference.

Mostly standard home use + MMORPG (Lineage, Aion and they like 8+gb RAM, SSD and good video+cpu)

Budget: I can afford both combos but is always good to save some $...it's 50-70$ difference

Spend the extra $50-70, as you'll eliminate any chance of buyers remorse and the feelings of "what if" and "should have". You'll gain a more solid platform for any potential future upgrades like a K processor or RAID.

Money too well spent, imo.

Can I have problems if I choose mATX MB and HD7850, I mean in term of space, PCIe is next to RAM slots...

I doubt it, since the GPU spills over to the opposite side of the DIMM slots.

Also look at the location of the SATA ports. Don't want to cover them up with your vid card (I had that problem on one of my builds and had to buy special cables).

I am going M-ATX for this build and I have the i5 3550 and a B75 chipset motherboard only a few days ago but I didn't know that the B75 was geared towards the business sector.

can you still game on a B75 or should i just go with the H77 since I don't really need to overclock.

I've gone with a Gigabyte Z77M-D3H mATX with a 3570K and I'm more than happy with the combination since I don't want to overclock a lot (there are no voltage control). I still managed to get 4 GHz with a finger in my nose ;)

I agree with others to spend a bit more to avoid buyer remorse and get a solid perfoming setup.

Back