• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5-2500K Build Advice Please

Novakain

n00b
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
43
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
**Gaming**

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
**$350 for remaining parts, not including monitor or taxes/shipping!**

3) Where do you live?
**Grand Rapids, MI**

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
**Still need GPU, PSU, Hard Drive**

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
**None**

6) Will you be overclocking?
**No, or very minimal (I don't have a lot of experience with it)**

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
**23"**

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
**Within the next week or 2**

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
**Bought MoBo already, USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 (Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
**64 bit Windows 7**


It's time for me to put together the rest of my new computer build. I have half the pieces together by now, but am getting ready to buy the last few parts here in the next couple weeks.

CPU: i5-2500k 3.3Ghz

Mother Board: GA-P67A-UD3P

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER

RAM/Memory: Patriot G Series 8GB 1600

I have those 3 parts bought already and waiting at my house. The rest I am getting ready to buy in within the next week or 2. The parts I am looking at are:

GPU: XFX 6950 2GB 256bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150518

PSU: Antec TruePower 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021&cm_re=650W-_-17-371-021-_-Product

or an XFX 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1T SATA 6.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136767

Monitor: ASUS 23" 2ms LED Backlight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236095

Those are what I am looking at to buy within the next week or 2. Anyone have some good suggestions or feedback on those parts?
 
Last edited:
What's your budget? And I'll say it before most other people probably will, but maybe fill out the Q&A sticky so folks know what you need this for.
 
What's your budget? And I'll say it before most other people probably will, but maybe fill out the Q&A sticky so folks know what you need this for.

On the remaining parts, I'd like to spend around $350 WITHOUT the monitor included. It's a Gaming PC build, I'll go through and re-edit the post here in a couple minutes for clarification. For now, $350 on the remaining parts w/o monitor included. Can be a little more if need be, less is always better too :)! Aaaand it's a gaming PC.
 
Last edited:
On the remaining parts, I'd like to spend around $350 WITHOUT the monitor included. For now, $500 on the remaining parts w/o monitor included.

Mismatch there dude.

Anyway, the parts you chose are fine.
 
Mismatch there dude.

Anyway, the parts you chose are fine.

Yeah sorry about that, I had gone through and re-edited because I bought my RAM yesterday due it being a pretty good deal especially after the rebate. I tried to change the remaining prices but forgot about that part. I went with the SATA 6.0 just because of the original issue on the Sata 3.0 ports (I'll get the new boards once they are available in April but figured I'd play it safe. Otherwise I woulda went with the Samsung drive you'd recommended before). Right now my remaining debate is on which PSU I should get, and I am hoping the XFX GPU will drop back down in price in the next week or so, I really like the double lifetime warranty it comes with... almost makes it worth the extra money anyways though. Any suggestion on a PSU?
 
I went with the SATA 6.0 just because of the original issue on the Sata 3.0 ports (I'll get the new boards once they are available in April but figured I'd play it safe. Otherwise I woulda went with the Samsung drive you'd recommended before).
Yeah you're worring about nothing: SATA 6.0Gb/s is backwards compatible with SATA 3.0Gb/s drives. In addition, the issue was with the SATA 3.0Gb/s ports on the motherboard itself, not the SATA 3.0Gb/s on the hard drives. So the interface of the hard drives had nothing to do with that Sandy Bridge issue.
Right now my remaining debate is on which PSU I should get, and I am hoping the XFX GPU will drop back down in price in the next week or so, I really like the double lifetime warranty it comes with... almost makes it worth the extra money anyways though. Any suggestion on a PSU?

Depends: if you want modular, stick to that XFX PSU. If modular isn't a major requirement, I recommend this:
$90 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
 
Back
Top