i5-12400 Burnt Marks on Back.

mothman

Supreme [H]ardness
This i5-12400 has run fine for months. Turned it on today, everything ran at full speed and wouldn't post. Did the usual components check and all seemed ok . Pulled the processor and noticed what appear to be burnt marks on a spot where only blank pads are shown in pics I could find. Any idea what happened here ? Also I should have added that I checked the socket and it's pristine, no bent pins or burn marks.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 0
  • img_0054.jpg
    img_0054.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Was it overclocked? Anyway, probably just had a defect from the beginning. Time for an RMA.

Another thought. I remember when mounting the LGA 1700 compatible Noctua cooler it required more pressure than I thought was normal. I wonder if this is the long term effect of the mounting pressure issue. I've never RMA'd a CPU. Anybody know if Intel is a long drawn out process ?

Another thought. I remember when mounting the LGA 1700 compatible Noctua cooler it required more pressure than I thought was normal. I wonder if this is the long term effect of the mounting pressure issue. I've never RMA'd a CPU. Anybody know if Intel is a long drawn out process ?
I've RMA'd with Intel before and it was pretty quick. Open a ticket a tech will ask you some questions and then approve it if you aren't overclocking anything. Just tell them you are running spec RAM at spec speeds. Same for proc.

Just did a RMA with intel, took a week due to all the stupid tests they had me run after telling them up front I tested it on 3 different mobos. With your CPU being dead it might be a lot quicker.

Mlc cap died, bad luck.
It doesn't look like there are any SMD components in that area, though. More likely, I think, is that the substrate got cracked somehow, and ran hot for a long time until it couldn't handle the bazillion amps being drawn through it and it finally became an open circuit.

Yes I too didn't see any damaged SMD components. The spot where is appears burnt is where there's just two small blue pads. Razor you mentioned 'Cracked Substrate'. Makes me wonder again if the excessive mounting pressure, bowing of the chip and heat lead to the chip cracking. Guys check your chips next time you change coolers. Anyway I talked to Intel Support yesterday. They did ask me a million questions including all my components, Bios ect. They approved the Warranty replacement and sent me a return label.

Yes I too didn't see any damaged SMD components. The spot where is appears burnt is where there's just two small blue pads. Razor you mentioned 'Cracked Substrate'. Makes me wonder again if the excessive mounting pressure, bowing of the chip and heat lead to the chip cracking. Guys check your chips next time you change coolers. Anyway I talked to Intel Support yesterday. They did ask me a million questions including all my components, Bios ect. They approved the Warranty replacement and sent me a return label.
Told ya. :)

Ouch... Heard of some socket issues so if so this will be interesting if it happens again.

Back