i1 Display Pro

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Just recieved my i1 Display Pro (official page), paid 257$ including tax+shipping from here.

Only played around with it a little bit and so far I get a 6-8cdm/2 difference in brightness and 550k in color temperature VS my i1D2.

The new i1 Profiler has some nifty features like the display uniformity. You can measure the brightness and color temperature uniformity with this option. The links go to my Samsung F2380MX results (I know it says Asus, ignore that).

Just like Eye One Match 3 (i1D2 program) the results data is extremely lacking except for the Delta E values. I am puzzled as to why they decided to allow full color temp+brightness measurements and not go all the why by allowing you to measure the black level and gamma, though I knew this before purchasing it.

I have not read the guide but it seems that the i1 Profiler does not take you through the contrast+RGB OSD adjustments like Eye One Match 3 which is a shame. It only asks you to manually adjust the brightness then let it do the rest. I will post some HCFR+BasICColor verification results which I will obtain with my i1D2 after using the i1 Display Pro to calibrate my monitors.

Apparently BasicColor 5 coming out by October will support this unit, as well as SpectraView II somewhere down the line. I believe I read this on Luminous Landscapes a couple of days ago.

I just ordered one for a bit more ($275) so we'll see what it's like. Mine should arrive by tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers for SpectraView II support!

I have the NEC I1D2 so I'll see how they compare once received.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for posting your impressions, I have been thinking to upgrade my i1D2 to this as well since I have some LED displays which might work better with the newer colorimeter.

One thing I'd really like to be able to do is to calibrate both my TV and my monitors with a single unit, since my TV has all the ISF calibration adjustments right in the menus so it's easy to calibrate myself. I can do it now using ColorHCFR and my i1D2 using some test patterns and want to preserve that functionality in future colorimeter/spectrophotometer units.

Ruahrc

This thing is TINY1!!!!!!!1

Here's a photo sitting next to my NEC I1D2 GammaComp colorimeter (taken with my Samsung i896 Camera phone:

xriteneccolorimeters.jpg

Cool.

You weren't worried about the reports that it would be locked to only work with X-Rite software?

Cool.

You weren't worried about the reports that it would be locked to only work with X-Rite software?

Initially I was, but I also read (here) and elsewhere that my two favorite pieces of software Spectraview, and BasicColor will support this unit, whether retail or OEM. It seems a license must be procured from X-Rite.

I found this forum post on luminous landscapes where a user received an e-mail from BasicColor asking about I1D3 support:

"basICColor display 5 will support the i1 Display Pros – yes, plural!
We have purchased a license for supporting OEM and original X-Rite instruments.
Some OEMs may choose to have their instruments locked down for use with their own software only, though. Not so basICColor – the OEM instrument we are going to sell will not be restricted other than being regarded as OEM products.
In other words, we´ll support the X-Rite instruments and all the OEM instruments which are not locked down by the respective OEM."

And here's a blurb from this review page:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/i1display_pro.shtml

"
X-Rite Product Manager Steve Rankin posted the following on the ColorSync list Aug 19, 2011.

As the product manager for our Display Solutions at X-Rite, let me try to clarify a few things regarding OEM and 3rd party developer support for our new i1D3 based colorimeters. There seems to be lot’s of confusion here. First and foremost, X-Rite absolutely does allow OEMs and 3rd party developers access to our i1Display Pro retail instruments. Karl Koch already mentioned it here on the ColorSync List that BasICColor will support our retail product and I now have permission from Eizo to announce that a soon to be released version of ColorNavigator software will also support our retail i1Display Pro device. In addition, while I cannot mention their names, I can tell you that there are more OEMs & developers currently working on integrating our channel device into their software solutions. So, for any other OEMs or third party developers that wish to also support our retail i1Display Pro device, please contact [email protected] and ask for our “i1Display Pro License Request Form”. Second, regarding support of OEM versions of i1D3, this is not an X-Rite issue at all. Any software developer who wishes to support an OEM version of the i1D3 device must contact and obtain this ability from that OEM. I hope this clarifies things for all."

So it seems as long as the software maker has a license they are good to go. Art Marshall has already "hinted" at support of this unit by NEC too.

I await!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased mine after reading about the upcoming BasICColor support a while back.

So I get around a 300-500k temperature difference. When I was calibrating to 6500k with the i1D2 I was actually getting 7000k.

The new software is useless w/o RGB adjustments. If I profile my display with the Eye One Profiler i get a 700:1 contrast ratio with my Asus VG236H instead of 930:1 @ both 120 and 140cdm/2 vs 900:1+ with Eye One Match 3 and the i1D2.

With my Samsung F2380MX I still get 3,000:1 CR with the i1DP. I still have to measure the gamma values with HCFR and my i1D2 to see if the i1DP can achieve 2.2. I didn't ususally get 2.2 using Eye One Match 3, interested to see if the new software can achieve this.

US only for ordering the software+disc, fail.

Spectraview II is only for NEC screens with flexible monitor LUTs, if that's what you're talking about.

So far, compared to the I1D2 it is very fast. It cuts the calibration time to half the time, and it solved the color temp difference between my LCD2690 and LCD2490WUXi2.

Is basicaly BasICColor Color 5 (when available) the best choice for the new i1 Display Pro ? (100€ this is not cheap)

I was using an i1 D2 with Lacie software but i suppose it will not be updated for the new i1 DP

Eizo Colornavigator only works with hardware LUT monitors ?

Is basicaly BasICColor Color 5 (when available) the best choice for the new i1 Display Pro ? (100€ this is not cheap)

I was using an i1 D2 with Lacie software but i suppose it will not be updated for the new i1 DP

Eizo Colornavigator only works with hardware LUT monitors ?

It's one of the better choices, especially if gray shades are important, IMHO. ColorEyes is also popular and pretty good from what I've seen.

I would wait until BasicColor 5 is released. I have a feeling there will be a nominal upgrade fee of 50 Euros to go from 4 to 5.

Lacie is a bit funny with upgrades. I bought Blue Eye Pro 4.2.2, but since I missed the posted upgrade to 4.5.5, I could not upgrade to 4.5.6, as it would not detect 4.2.2, presumably because it was too old. I was able to get 4.5.5 by tooling around on Lacie's web site, but it was painful.

But you never know. The upgrade to using the I1D3/Pro shouldn't be a big deal, really. If you have Lacie, you could wait a while or contact their support dep't.

I have tried to calibrate 2 screens (one IPS WLED and one TN CCFL) with the i1 profiler but the colors doesn't match (maybe just the white point...)

I think the TN look greenish (it was better with the i1 D2). I hope it's onlybecause of the software

EDIT : running the full set of patch (profiling take 8min) give more consistent results, however it raise my black point (without asking me) not in a good way because the black become a little browish

Last edited:
I have tried to calibrate 2 screens (one IPS WLED and one TN CCFL) with the i1 profiler but the colors doesn't match (maybe just the white point...)

I think the TN look greenish (it was better with the i1 D2). I hope it's onlybecause of the software

EDIT : running the full set of patch (profiling take 8min) give more consistent results, however it raise my black point (without asking me) not in a good way because the black become a little browish

I had the same problem with brownish blacks, but I think it only happened if I calibrated to a specific contrast ratio vs native.

I am very much looking forward to alternative software.

Good news that it seems other software will support the retail i1DPro unit. I want to be able to calibrate both my TV and windows and mac computers and I won't be able to use the same software for each.

I will have to look into selling my i1D2 and upgrading to this one.

BTW I finally tried the i1D2 "lion edition" of i1 profile maker and I too was saddened to see no support for adjusting the RGB controls on your monitor. I figured it was just a BS limitation of the i1D2-specific version of the software but it seems that even on the "real deal", there is no option for this either? Fail.

Ruahrc

The i1Pro software doesn't allow RGB settings either:(.

If I calibrate my i1d2 with HCFR and then profile my monitors with BasICColor to get a 300k color temperature and 10cdm/2 brightness difference compared to the i1Pro. So I just calibrate to 6200k and 130cdm/2=6500k and 120cdm/2 when verified.

Heh, so if we are stuck on the older i1D2 hardware, then should we be accounting for this seemingly averaged ~ 300K / 10cd deviation?

Is this a good estimate?
Is it confirmed that the the i1Dpro is actually more accurate?

Is it confirmed that the the i1Dpro is actually more accurate?
Yes.The filter solution approaches the two degree CIE standard observer better and is more resistant to age. In addition, the spectral correction handling is far more sophisticated.

Best regards

Denis

dispcalGUI look excellent. Impressive range of options (sRVB gamma curve relative to ambiant lux)

finaly, i got basiccolor 5 beta, and i get pleasing results.

however, i can not find a "triangular" representation of the monitor gamut (vs common colorspace) like in some other software. It was quite usefull.

I have no idea if PM works because my "sent box" always they 0 messages

Is there a list of calibration software that works with the retail i1 Display Pro?

Any recommendations?

Hello,

Excuse me for bumping this thread, but I've not found clear information about if this colorimeter can or cannot calibrate a plasma display (Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX508D). Does this colorimeter work with a plasma TV? If not, is there any colorimeter with similar quality able to calibrate this type of TVs (besides LCDs, naturally)?

Thanks

Back