I wonder how many PC gamers have moved on due to lack of mid-priced cards

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
Just went to Newegg, spoke with a rep via chatroom. They said 10 series cards will be restocked but they have no ETA. Was wondering, with 20 series just around the corner why would they restock 10 series? Doesn't seem profitable to restock 10's anymore but I could be wrong here. I wonder how many have moved on to console gaming instead of waiting out the mining craze

Just went to Newegg, spoke with a rep via chatroom. They said 10 series cards will be restocked but they have no ETA. Was wondering, with 20 series just around the corner why would they restock 10 series?

Uhh, because they'll sell them...and at a high margin, due to the mining demand. Volta's probably not going to launch until early 2018, so you expect retailers to just sit on no GPU stock for like 6 months?

Etherium prices are way down and difficulty is way up. Just wait for everyone to bail and cut their losses then pickup cheap 1070s. I paid $90 for my last R9 290 when X11 / X13 mining died and everyone was dumping their cards. They were still relatively high end at the time.

IIRC new 1070s would pop up for sale ~329 before the mining craze. Used cards should be available for well under $300 when thing settle down.

Honestly I don't think most new pc gamers are buying $300 gpus anyways. When I see first time pc gamers come in for builds they are normally buying sub ~$200 cards. And veteran gamers aren't jumping ship for consoles just because of a few months of inflated prices.

I got caught up in the waiting game, and now thinking of just waiting on
volta . Was wanting a 1070, then 1080, then decided to wait on vega, then
the miner craze hit.

I can't believe all the graphics card manufactures can't keep up
with demand though...

Paying $450 for new 1070 this late in the game is a poor decision to me ..
Paying $600 for new 1080 is also poor decision.

Still waiting ......

It's almost always better to get a card at the beginning of the product cycle than the end. If you don't have an absolute need to get a new GPU it's better to wait for the next product cycle to start.

Watch for open box as well. I picked up an RX480 4G for $145 at microcenter, open box. Works great, which is what I wanted for my workstation.

This is what happens when only two players are in the big boys GPU game and yet we have constant trolling/begging for the demise of the RTG... imagine how much worse it would be then.

Almost none?

Right, it's not like console lovers have to wait for new releases, and pay a premium for them for the first year. How's that wait for that $500 Xbox XXXXXXXXXX in November treating you?

Hows waiting in line to pay $300 for a $200 Switch treating you?

There are shortages in EVERY INDUSTRY that has desirable products. Just that sometimes manufacturers get blindsided by sudden demand, like the Switch and Ethereum.

YES IT SUCKS HAVING TO WAIT. GO PLAY OUTSIDE, OR GO FIND A NEW GAME.

Last edited:
Just hold tight, mining values are taking a dump right now. The market will catch up.

Just hold tight, mining values are taking a dump right now. The market will catch up.

The lightweights will all dump their cards, I just upgraded most of mine before the craze, the 1070's I added 20 of have been a pleasant surprise, I didn't like the 1060's, dumped those.

Just went to Newegg, spoke with a rep via chatroom. They said 10 series cards will be restocked but they have no ETA. Was wondering, with 20 series just around the corner why would they restock 10 series? Doesn't seem profitable to restock 10's anymore but I could be wrong here. I wonder how many have moved on to console gaming instead of waiting out the mining craze

I moved on for the first time in 20 years due to lack of decent games more than cards.

Etherium prices are way down and difficulty is way up. Just wait for everyone to bail and cut their losses then pickup cheap 1070s.

1070 won't sell for cheap just because Ethereum price is going down and difficulty going up. Every smart miner will keep those 1070 because most of us with Nvidia cards don't even mine Ethereum because there are other, more profitable coins for Nvidia cards.
You might see a lot of AMD cards, but probably not 1060/1070/1080Ti.

You might see a lot of AMD cards, but probably not 1060/1070/1080Ti.

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (I consider this make/model the best on the market to date for 1070's) can now be had on ebay for $410 or a bit more if you work the auctions. The BIN prices are still stupid high at $450+ for a used one. Newegg has an EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 card on ebay for $515 (shipped) but with new EVGA GTX 1080 FTW's priced at $570 why buy a 1070 FTW2?

Tonight I bought an EVGA GTX 970 SSC on ebay. Figured that will be more than enough for the older games I play as well as more recent ones like Rise of the Tomb Raider (with eye candy turned down). Mass Effect Andromeda was a major disappointment so I won't be needing a GTX 1060 or 1070/1080 anytime soon. Only release I'm waiting for is the sequel to Metro 2033: Last Light Redux due to hit the market maybe in 2018. If I need a more powerful card to run that game I'll see how the market looks by then.

Last edited:
Someone getting their feet wet in the gaming world will be served just fine by a GTX 1060, and you can buy (in stock as I type this) for $239 that will smoke pretty much anything in 1080p, and even some stuff in 1440p with medium detail.

That's a perfectly reasonable price for a card capable of such feats. If that's still too rich, a 1050 Ti will still kick ass at 1080p.

If someone got discouraged because they didn't take more than 5 minutes to search around for workable alternatives, imagine how pissed they would be when they run into some obscure windows problem or software glitch.

Etherium prices are way down and difficulty is way up. Just wait for everyone to bail and cut their losses then pickup cheap 1070s. I paid $90 for my last R9 290 when X11 / X13 mining died and everyone was dumping their cards. They were still relatively high end at the time.

IIRC new 1070s would pop up for sale ~329 before the mining craze. Used cards should be available for well under $300 when thing settle down.

Honestly I don't think most new pc gamers are buying $300 gpus anyways. When I see first time pc gamers come in for builds they are normally buying sub ~$200 cards. And veteran gamers aren't jumping ship for consoles just because of a few months of inflated prices.

I got twin AMD Fury's while everyone was dumping. They run really great lol.

How close is this corner? I just sold my 1080 ($500) that I bought at launch in June 16 ($700) to recoup some costs on the wave of mining craze and also get a smaller model. I have an htpc with g4560 + 1050ti which actually plays games pretty darn well at high settings (and house that smaller 1080 eventually) at 1080p gsync monitor. Because we're kinda into more than a half-lifecycle of Pascal at this point, I'm not sure now if I wanna buy another 1080 (I don't want ti as they're hotter) or wait for Volta now, while gaming on my htpc. However I'm not sure how long this waiting period will have to be and that's what bothers me.

If early hashes show anything, only a die hard fan would purchase Vega for mining, don't think you will see any miners buying them up unless they sell for RX580 prices or lower, and are readily available.

You should be able to pick one up at launch or on back order.... 10 days till Vega launch right?

Yeah probably not much. If you're in the market for a graphics card, for a desktop of all things, you've already shown a certain level of commitment. I suppose someone looking to get their first gaming rig might put it on hold, the same thing any PC gamer is doing if they want to upgrade and don't like the current prices, though they're still using what they got. Maybe four people will get distracted by something new and shiny and not return! :)

There are also people like me who saw an opportunity to upgrade! I got a great deal on a 1080Ti (like $535) and sold my 1070 for $400. Don't want to gloat as I hope the buyer here is whipping out coins or whatever and we both benefitted. Without me totally taking advantage and ebay scalping.

Last edited:
Haven't moved on, but I haven't bought either. I found that building older PC's & playing older games gives me just as much enjoyment than getting a new piece of hardware or playing a newer game.

I wonder how many PC gamers have moved on due to lack of mid-priced cards
What I'm actually wondering is, how many high end PC gamers has the mining craze added to the market? I was running a single GTX 1070 before but now I have a pair of them in SLI. The mining boom is effectively giving me a free high end PC. I actually want more GPU power. I'm thinking about purchasing GTX 1080 Ti SLI. I overpaid a bit for my second card but I'm glad I did.

Well, I'm definitely scratching my head what should I do when get back from vacation in two weeks. Get a 2-slot 1080 as I planned for around same $500 I got for the 3-slot I sold? Stretch to 1080ti? Wait for normal prices on 1070 and use it while hoping for a Volta release in Q1 2018? I have no idea what's the best and somehow I feel whatever choice I'll make will make me regret a bit :D

The mining boom has helped me afford a very high end PC for gaming! So thank you mining! I dont think ill stop anytime soon.

Reactions: Dan
like this
The mining boom has helped me afford a very high end PC for gaming! So thank you mining! I dont think ill stop anytime soon.
Same. Except for me it was "why spend 500 for a 1070, instead of a 1080..." so now i have a 1080 lol

Got an evga 1070 SC for 360. Mined with it intermittently and made an easy 80 bucks. Quitting though, difficulty spike plus the eponentiAL growth of the block chain makes it not worth it for the amount I make at a real job

Bought the Asus Strix 4GB GTX 1050 ti... happy as a pig on shiet for the Solo/Campaign gaming I do. Was not able to play Ghost Sniper Warrior 3 with my 660 at all, now like knife to butter. No, I am not playing it at Ultra 4k... medium 1080p is more than enough for me.

Truth is I was looking for a 1060 but did not want to spend the 250+ for the 6GB, let alone the 380+ after miners got their hands on it.

I did feel that I was taking a change with the 1050i but it passed the initial test . I know have to check why my GTX660 is not working on the 2nd or 3rd PCIe slot... I wanted to use it as a dedicated PhysX card.

I'm waiting patiently for the miners to dump their cards and tank the used market. My GTX 970 is struggling with VR, and I'd love to be able to bump up SS with a ~$300 used 1080 for the next year or so until Volta is released and the market has matured/well stocked.

I wanted to use it as a dedicated PhysX card.

For what? AFAIK the last games that used hardware PhysX are FarCry4 and Metro: Last Light.

So what you're saying is that I would be just wasting time, energy for no gains? None of the newer games use PhysX anymore? sniper elite 4, sniper ghost warrior 3, ghost recon wildlands... any newer shooters?

Last I heard it works, but often performance will take more of a hit than if you used only the single card. But you should be able to try it by setting the secondary card as your physx processor in the nvidia CP.

I did and I even use a new power connector mollet. Truth is I was more interested in seeing if the 1050ti would work. If my wife is not on my computer when i get home I may unplug, check, plug back in and see if it want to start. It was working fine so I doubt it took a shit just cause I moved it to the PCIe3 slot

Want to keep prices down?
Don't buy cards used for mining.
Let them eat it.

They buy them in bulk right off the line and expect to recoup some of it when they sell the cards after they have mined with them and buy newer.
Let them eat the cards and not have enough to buy newer cards, that keeps the stocks full of cards.
The miners if they think that it doesn't effect long term usability. Wrong.
Screw them.
Don't buy a used card. Ever.

When they are stuck with them and not enough to buy newer cards to keep up with mining, gamers win.

Want to keep prices down?
Don't buy cards used for mining.
Let them eat it.

Last time around I picked up an R9 290X for a great price, but I also got scammed on another card. The guy sent it loose in a box, screws missing and the card smothered in thermal compound to 'glue the heatsink firmly in place.' The blower/heatsink fell off inside the box and smashed the card up during shipping.

Don't bother with used/refurbished hardware. It's always a headache in the end.

Back