I went nuts... Bye bye project. Or is it?

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I was working on drilling holes today in my cheap POS case, when I kept screwing up. That right there should have told me to drop it and do something else, but I was a dumbtard and kept going. Finally, after screwing up enough, I went nuts and took a hammer to the lower right corner on the back of the case. The entire chassis is gone beyond repair.

Should I try to repair this, or should I just take the remaining parts out of the case, give it a few good stomps to get this shout out of my blood, and try to make my own case? Or should I try to repair it? One corner is gone, completely... The back of the case (behind the mainboard tray) is bent, the top is no longer level with the ground... This case has been a MAJOR pain in the ass so far.

I'll see about getting a camera a little later and taking pics of what is going to go into this case, and see if anyone has any suggestions...

pics

and you would probably be better off taking out all your anger on it and then buying/making a new one ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
pics

and you would probably be better off taking out all your anger on it and then buying/making a new one ;)

I'll take pics later... I don't have the heart to tell dad that I screwed our project up... So, I'll do it after he's asleep... :(

save what you can (mobo tray, bezle, psc and drive bay blanks, grills if it has them, screws, drive cadge, and then beat the hell out of it, (and get pics or vid of it) the case walls may be good if you can use the scrap metal, (practice your drilling on, so its not a total loss...

Ive trashed some mods when i cant get them working

Originally posted by BLsibub666
save what you can (mobo tray, bezle, psc and drive bay blanks, grills if it has them, screws, drive cadge, and then beat the hell out of it, (and get pics or vid of it) the case walls may be good if you can use the scrap metal, (practice your drilling on, so its not a total loss...

Ive trashed some mods when i cant get them working

There's nothing really worth saving. The 'mobo trey' is just a few crappy pieces of bent sheet metal welded to the inside of the case. :p I think I'll just custom build a case out of plexi for this thing. It won't be pretty, but it will probably be cooler and quieter.

turn the anger into art!

beat up the entire case as violently as possible while still retaining functionality. make it a violent, bent, broken theme. lay down some paint, then distress it and make it look beaten up...

take the beating further than you think is necessary and do an appropriate paint job and it'll look like you planned it that way, and that'll be both cool AND unique. Few cases here are unique or original, but a properly done beat-up might qualify...

(yes, i was a fruity art major who turned "accident" into "art" and got away with it...i was also a CS major who turned "accident" into... well lets not talk about CS any more shall we?)

Originally posted by yawhcihw
turn the anger into art!

beat up the entire case as violently as possible while still retaining functionality. make it a violent, bent, broken theme. lay down some paint, then distress it and make it look beaten up...

take the beating further than you think is necessary and do an appropriate paint job and it'll look like you planned it that way, and that'll be both cool AND unique. Few cases here are unique or original, but a properly done beat-up might qualify...

(yes, i was a fruity art major who turned "accident" into "art" and got away with it...i was also a CS major who turned "accident" into... well lets not talk about CS any more shall we?)

Uhh, at this point, it won't hold the drives I needed the case to hold. I think at this point, unless I cut the support off the back of the case, part of the bottom of the case, and most of the back, and spot welded replacement parts in, it is a lost cause. Plexi will be coming up... However, I might try something like that witht he plexi... How about a smashed blowhole?

smashing one part of the case is going to look like you fscked up... either go whole hog or go home...

be creative, mount the drives at odd angles to get them to fit (they don't care), mount stuff where it isn't logical, etc etc...

or whatever...

if you smashed up the plexi more than just the blow hole, it might be cool... does plexi do that spider-webbing when smashed? maybe you could smash a side (if it does that) and sandwich it between thin intact layers of plexi to give it strength...

your case, just throwing ooot ideas

smashing one part of the case is going to look like you fscked up... either go whole hog or go home...

be creative, mount the drives at odd angles to get them to fit (they don't care), mount stuff where it isn't logical, etc etc...

or whatever...

if you smashed up the plexi more than just the blow hole, it might be cool... does plexi do that spider-webbing when smashed? maybe you could smash a side (if it does that) and sandwich it between thin intact layers of plexi to give it strength...

your case, just throwing ooot ideas

Actually, that's a very good idea.. I'm going to have to look into that. ;)

Yeah, I'm going to see what I can do with this case... I need material first, though. :p

maybe you could smash a side (if it does that) and sandwich it between thin intact layers of plexi to give it strength...

i dont believe it does, but you could get some glass and put it between two pieces of plexi and then smash it

What kind of case was it? Hope it wasn't over $100. Maybe you should scrap the case and take some anger courses because it seems like you're pretty unstable.

Originally posted by MasiveMunkey
What kind of case was it? Hope it wasn't over $100. Maybe you should scrap the case and take some anger courses because it seems like you're pretty unstable.

The case cost approximatly $30 from Frys Electronics. ;) It was just a plain vanilla case, and is mostly sheet metal.

Originally posted by NickTheNut
you answered your own question before you asked it ;)

WEll, it might not be gone beyond all repair, but it would take more trouble than it's worth. I'm going to go with plexi because I'll be able to seperate the hot components from the not-so-hot components.

Originally posted by MasiveMunkey
looks like your the unstable one. Maybe the next time you post on these forums you should take a deep breathe and calm yourself. This is not a place of hate. This is a family and id appreciate it if youd clalm yourself.

Originally posted by Mr.BrIaN
looks like your the unstable one. Maybe the next time you post on these forums you should take a deep breathe and calm yourself. This is not a place of hate. This is a family and id appreciate it if youd clalm yourself.

Naw, he's right. I went nuts, man. I did a number on this case, 'unstable' was a bit of an understatement. Hell, I really screwed up the workbench too. I'm just glad I didn't destroy the entire shop. Besides, I think you read his post a little wrong... And, I'm going to take his advice and just go nuts on the rest of the case after I take pics. I really need to do it... I'll just get some Plexi or something else that I can cut fairly easily and start from there. It'll probably work out better this way in the long run, seeing as this case was such a POS. I've slowly beaten the living crap out of it since I've gotten it... It should just die and be scrap already.

Somethings really screwed up with me, I've got all of this useless anger. It's gonna go somewhere, and into the case. Maybe I'll keep it, my personal ball of hate...

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
stuff an old PC in it and use it for a linux box. Waste not and learn linux :D

I've already removed the drive bays... I don't think I would have anywhere to put a hard drive in it. Unless Linux will fit on a 1.2 gig drive, I wouldn't have a drive large enough for Linux.

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
1.2 nah, but it fits on my 10 gig...

My 10 gig drive is being used for Windows in this (my main) machine... My 1.8 gig drives are being used in my F@H machine... My 80 gig drive is being used in my secondary machine... My 2.1 gig drive is going into my PIII 550 F@H machine. So, I'll either have to wait for new SCSI drives, or just do without. :p

Back