• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i want a higher oc

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
493
i'm guessing i just didnt get the michael phelps of q6600 but it seems a majority of forum members have theirs running at 3.4-3.6 with little effort. mine will not go past 3.2 at any voltage and even then it seems leaving it at 3ghz gives me a better experience. i have active cooling on the nb and the temps are always the same as the cpu. my hsf is arctic freezer 7 pro and idle temps are 30c. any advice? i'm thinking its my motherboard but it did produce the same oc on my e6300 that my p5n-e did so i know it can pull its weight. :(
 
Your probably better off anyhow, the 3L does not have the heavy duty cpu voltage regulation circuity for a high OC on a quad (it is a budget board after all, a damn good one, but not really beefy enough for cutting edge OC without active cooling on the MOSFETs and even then I would be worried about board lifetime due to the caps and inductors. ) and while that is an excellent HS for the price around 3.2GHz is where it belongs as well. 8 x 400 with a 2.0 memory multiplier and memory enhance on Fast.
 
Bill's right, the DS3L/R's are budget boards. Good budget boards, but still. I use the DS3R myself. While some people out there can hit higher clocks with that board, some can't. Might be your CPU itself. Nothing is a guaranteed overclock, board or CPU.

FWIW my Q6600 only does 3.4 at max voltage. I popped a friends in there and it did 3.6 without breaking a sweat. My limit is strictly CPU based. I keep it at 3.0, plenty fast for me.

You might also want to consider a different cooler. Something with downward airflow, like the TR SI-128. Since there's no active cooling on the board it helps keep the mosfets and NB somewhat cooler with the added airflow over them. Same with the RAM. It won't get stellar temps like a TRU120E, but acceptable temps that are within spec to reach 3.4-3.5 at least.
 
sorry to threadjack, but where would you get a si128? i cant seem to find it on newegg.
 
Just so you know anything over 3 ghz and you wont see any increase in FPS. I went from 3.0 to 3.6 on a ds3l board and I can't see ANY difference.
 
3.2 is a decent OC for a Q6600. Its really not worth spending more money on it at this point, and I would be shocked if you got more than another 100MHz out of the chip. Getting some active northbridge cooling might help, however stock on a DS3L is usually good up to around 400 FSB if you have good case cooling. Its easy to get caught up in going for 3.6, however a lot of people that get to 3.6 do not even run them at that spec because they were running really hot or getting flake when the summer temps came around. I can get anything up to 3.4 on a DS3L, I switch to a couple different motherboard (for other issues) and they both resulted in a a max OC within 50MHz of what the DS3L could reach.
 
Xigmatek HDT-S1284 also has downward airflow, and might actually perform better than the SI-128. I don't know though since I can't find any apples-to-apples comparo's on the net.
 
Back
Top