I think I've reached an odd point in my gaming hobby.

Yep. So I cut back. Last year I bought:
Alien Isolation (sale, knew I was gonna play it)
SC2 expansion
Beyond: Two Souls (christmas gift)
Last of us

That's it.

And till I play them, and at least one old one from my collection, I won't buy another.
So far, I beat SC2, I'm workign on Last of us and alien, the wife stole Beyond, and I dashed through Homeworld:remastered and Clive Barker's Jericho.

I have hundreds of games in my steam account, and a few hundred console/etc sitting there. I won't pick up another RPG till I finish FF12, which I haven't played in 6 months but loved.

Welcome to getting older and finding other things to do. I have a life outside games now, and that's ok. It's like that old gradeschool friend you can always call when you need to, but don't see on a regular basis.

It seems to be the case with everyone. As a kid you have all the time you want for Games and other hobbies but not enough money for those pursuits. As an adult, you have the money you need for the hobbies but not enough time to spend on them.

Pretty much the ONLY game I play regularly these days is ArmA 3 and that's because I play with a group on Sundays.

I hear you completely. It's been the same with me for the past 2-3 years, but I just keep coming back. The key is to take a few days or even a few weeks worth of breaks, and come back fresh, then play in small bursts. That way, it's something to look forward to, rather than something you have to justify to yourself that you NEED to do, to get your moneys worth.

Sounds like most of you are only talking about singleplayer games. I can definitely see getting burned out on that stuff pretty fast.

I've always been a multiplayer person, but I've still been experiencing the burnout, and that is simply due to the state of stagnation in the industry for the past 6 years or so. Due to the increased costs to make and profit expectations, there aren't a whole lot of risk taking devs/publishers anymore, so we see a lot of the same, and usually that stuff is tailored to the lowest common denominator to maximize profit potential across all available platforms.

That being said there are plenty of good multiplayer games out there. If you haven't played a moba, MMO, FPS, or something like that online then you should probably give it a try.

Sounds like most of you are only talking about singleplayer games. I can definitely see getting burned out on that stuff pretty fast.

I've always been a multiplayer person, but I've still been experiencing the burnout, and that is simply due to the state of stagnation in the industry for the past 6 years or so. Due to the increased costs to make and profit expectations, there aren't a whole lot of risk taking devs/publishers anymore, so we see a lot of the same, and usually that stuff is tailored to the lowest common denominator to maximize profit potential across all available platforms.

That being said there are plenty of good multiplayer games out there. If you haven't played a moba, MMO, FPS, or something like that online then you should probably give it a try.

Played tons of them. Still have other hobbies, and an MMO pretty much requires that it be your ~only~ or ~main~ hobby. Thanks, but no thanks - I don't feel like dedicating that kind of time anymore.

Played tons of them. Still have other hobbies, and an MMO pretty much requires that it be your ~only~ or ~main~ hobby. Thanks, but no thanks - I don't feel like dedicating that kind of time anymore.

Agreed. I played WoW for 7 years to the almost complete exclusion of all other games. I know...my choice, but I doubt that's uncommon. A game like that requires a certain level of time and attention if you wish to consume end game content at even a modest level of aptitude.

That's been my main objection to most MMOs too. Already got a job, thanks. I will grind to my time specifications, not the game's or the game's audience.

I'm lucky to get maybe an hour of gaming a day, maybe 2 hrs on the weekends. And I've got a backlog of Steam/GoG games like everyone else- but don't really care if I never finish or even play them. (IMO, obsessing about game completion turns leisure time into work)

That's been my main objection to most MMOs too. Already got a job, thanks. I will grind to my time specifications, not the game's or the game's audience.

I'm lucky to get maybe an hour of gaming a day, maybe 2 hrs on the weekends. And I've got a backlog of Steam/GoG games like everyone else- but don't really care if I never finish or even play them. (IMO, obsessing about game completion turns leisure time into work)

Agree completely. I keep buying games when they hit acceptable price points. If it's something that I've waited for, and want to play right away I'm willing to pay more. If not, I wait, and then it goes into my backlog. I've got a huge backlog, but I do eventually get around to playing most of them. Granted it's more slowly than I acquire them, but if it's something I deem to be a good game, then it will find it's way into my played list. I used to focus on completing games, sometimes even completing them completely. Now I just save that for Zelda games. :D The rest, I play hopefully to finish, but if I don't, I'm not too worried. It just means the game was only good enough to hold my attention to a certain point. If that means 15 hours instead of the 30 stated, then that's still not too bad. If I get 200+ hours like I did with Borderlands, not to mention playing with my kids or friends, then that value more than makes up for the games I didn't play as much as I expected. It all balances out in the end, and like you say, it's leisure, not a job. To feel obligated to do something you're supposed to enjoy seems silly in most cases. (maybe not all, but most)

Back