I think I have a problem.

micah

Limp Gawd
Howdy All
2 days ago I started noticing my fans changing in pitch every now and then. I did not really think much about it till last night when it really started happening a LOT. So I started checking things and I have a feeling my power supply is going out on me.
Checking MBM5 I see that my 12 V line is jumping all over the place. My 5 V line is also but not near as much as the 12 V line. I changed the settings of MBM5 to run a log every 10 sec just to see how much it was jumping around. The +12 and -12 lines are jumping about more than 1 V each. That is a bad thing right ?

My PS came with my case, It is a 420 W one that comes with their aluminum turbo gamer cases. It came from cyberpower computers about a year and a half ago or so. It should still be covered under warranty as far as I see. I have only added a faster video card and it should not be pulling that much more power than the old one. I have changed some fans but they was to replace the stock ones not add more so they should not be using that much more power. And besides I have not changed anything in a few months and every thing was running fine until 3 days ago or so.

So you all think my PS is going ?

-Your PSU may be going
-Something may be shorting out for a split second
-Your incoming power could suck

I'd order a Fortron PSU right now and not use that comp. 'til you get it. Small voltage fluctuations are not bad, but when you get them bad enough to hear it in your fans, you could seriously damage something.

Regarding Generics
A Different Perspective on Power Supplies
Power supplies become increasingly expensive

and this contains some useful information
as long as you take the qualifiers into account
be careful there are some strong opinions expressed
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=767023&page=1&pp=20

Id highly recommend you get another PSU considering the symptoms
exactly what kind and how much to spend greatly depends on how much you have :p
what your running, and what your future plans might be
(if your going to treat it as an infrastructure investment, or as a transient patch for your current problem)

read up on those and explore the links (especially in that thread link)
then post back with questions
and parameters for your situation ;)

Well mainly I was asking with the information I gave above it sounds like my PS is going bad right ?
Right now I do not have the money to go buying much of a PS. I do plan on upgrading most of the main system hardware in the next year or so. However right now I am just wanting to keep what I have running ok. It is still under warranty and if it is like I think it is they should replace it.

So the main question was from the information in my first post it sounds like my power supply is going bad right ?
If so they should replace it as it is under warranty right ? That is really all I am needing right now. I know that it is not a top of the line PS. I plan on upgrading it when I can as I know that a good PS is one of the main things that helps a system run good.

Back