I still bet we a 9800GTX type card before end of year

With a die shrink they would be able to cut heat, and bump up the clock speeds. How much it would help at 65nm would be interesting. It is just possible that ATI has given up on the whole R6xx chip and decided to go to the R700.

You dont think there would be a copywrite issue if Nvidia tried to used "9800" in a name, do you?

You dont think there would be a copywrite issue if Nvidia tried to used "9800" in a name, do you?

Possible trademark issue, not copyright, sure. I don't think it is going to be a problem though. The essential question is deals with the likelihood that consumers will become confused and think that the GeForce 9800 comes from ATi. It seems unlikely that there would be consumer confusion because of the "GeForce" part. They couldn't call it the "Radeon 9800 GTX" of course.

Well they didn't have a problem with the 8500 name

well as far as i know no one can ever OWN a number, 8500. 9700 etc. its not just 8500, its "8500 GT". so yeah there shouldnt be a problem at all with nvidia going with "9800 GTX" or "9800 GTS"

There's a legal basis for ATi/AMD to dispute it, but my guess is that they aren't interested.

No, nobody can own a number, but that doesn't mean NVIDIA using "9800" in a product title couldn't result in some legal friction. Then again, I'm not a scholar of trademark law.

well as far as i know no one can ever OWN a number, 8500. 9700 etc. its not just 8500, its "8500 GT". so yeah there shouldnt be a problem at all with nvidia going with "9800 GTX" or "9800 GTS"

Correct, you cant copyright a number :) so they could use 9800 all they want.

Intel tried the copyright/trademark/whatever thing with CPU numbers against AMD/Cyrix. The next intel x86 chip was the Pentium not the 80586. :)

Agreed. Almost nobody has a 30inch display. 1680 x 1050 is might be the most common widescreen resolution. Most gamers are probably at 1280 x 1024.

The install base for the displays just isn't there yet, but I do think higher resolutions are where the hobby is headed. Part of the problem is that the response times aren't as good on the really really big high-def displays.

I'd love to go up to 2560 x 1600 though. My personal opinion is that 1680 x 1050 looks really good but there is room for improvement.

By the way, I read the marketing of higher resolutions by developers as code for "we are codeveloping games for PC and console now, so if you want to get a better experience on PC, you are going to have to just up the resolution, because we aren't going to push the hardware that hard anymore." That is more or less what Epic Games and Valve have led me to believe.

Noob.

I have a 30inch.
I know at least 2 others off the top of my head.
And if we peruse on down to the monitor forum we can find a SLEW of 30" owners.

Noob.

I have a 30inch.
I know at least 2 others off the top of my head.
And if we peruse on down to the monitor forum we can find a SLEW of 30" owners.

Noob.

You're in an ENTHUSIAST forum. What do you expect here? We comprise between 1 and 5 percent of the total market. Thus, your "slew" comprises even less. I'm sure your "slew" is a small percentage of the total number of users on this forum as well.

Noob.

You're in an ENTHUSIAST forum. What do you expect here? We comprise between 1 and 5 percent of the total market. Thus, your "slew" comprises even less. I'm sure your "slew" is a small percentage of the total number of users on this forum as well.

Entirely incorrect, you should be ashamed of yourself for makin up statistics on the spot.

Its really more like .1 and .5%. ;)

But yeah really...hes a troll.

I'd really like to see a new Nvidia card. Maybe not a 9 series core, but something like 8850 or 8900. Something that push's up the stakes. Maybe even a refresh on the 8600 series, like 8650, or 8700 and pump of the parts that people are saying make the 8600 crap (I don't agree that it is, but it could be better, HECK everything could be better). :cool:

So word on the street is, NVidia will indeed be releasing probably two new mid level cards in Nov. more or less, refresh of current stock.

Along with that there will indeed be a new high end model being released... however, it's not what you think.

It is to be two 65nm GTX cores on a single card, 1gb of DDR3 RAM.

This card will deliver their promised 1 teraflop as it will be roughly double the performance of the current GTX.

Along with this, the cores will use less power and produce less heat, thus, perhaps providing increased overclocks.

At the same time, do not expect performance to actually double as the drivers are to handle this card only in SLI mode, so on paper, twice the performance, in real world, perhaps 40% or so.

Also, expect these cards to be priced around $799.99 or so.

Have fun kids.

k i belief you.

:D:D:D

I would never claim to know for sure, as if I really did know, I would never tell.

However, I know people who claim they know, and well, they're a little more loose lipped then I am.

From what I've had whispered to me, this is what to expect.

Of course, this is nothing more then rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Beyond3D's forum has many thinking a dual chip for the 1 teraflop is very possible.

Beyond3D's forum has many thinking a dual chip for the 1 teraflop is very possible.

Really???

I don't believe I've ever even been there, I'll read a little on their forum later tonight.

I've just had this told to me through a few people that have always been right in the past.

I wonder if they just got it from the those forums and are playing on my trust. :D:D:D

So if there is a dual GTX card, do you need an SLI board to run it? Or are we stuck waiting for bios updates, etc. like with the 7950GX2?

So if there is a dual GTX card, do you need an SLI board to run it? Or are we stuck waiting for bios updates, etc. like with the 7950GX2?

From what I understand, no, you would not need an SLI capable motherboard, any single slot would work fine.

It's more or less the drivers now, they're still an issue, especially in Vista.

I know what you mean. They have as much fun discussing the tech of the cards as we do gaming on them. :D

Back