i screwed up, am i totally screwed or not?

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
nutshell

I was installing Vista Ult 64bit on my system (not on the partition in question btw)

i told it to format a partition on a secondary HDD that was originally a NTFS primary partition when it was running XP Pro but was simply used as file storage/backup

this partition had years worth of family photos and such

can i "unformat" it without sending it off to come recovery company and paying $1000?

i did backup the majority of them on a disc before i started, but after i got Vista installed and running i had to replace the motherboard and then reinstalled Vista 64bit clean (on a completely different drive)

i had a brain fart and formatted the wrong partition.....now i have a wife at home calling me asking where her recent pictures are (the ones i put on it after the disc backup and before i formatted it), and i cant be there until the end of the week, so i am running out of excuses and acting like i dont know for sure where they are, she's already saying "i bet you deleted them"

help:(

yes, there are several recovery software out there, i´d suggest to invest in a good one.
I personally use EasyRecovery Pro, there is an option to recover formatted drives.

there are other programs like GetDataBack and R-Studio, that u could download for trial use.

Another vote for GetDataBack. I recovered a boned RAID 0 array that windows would no longer recognize.

cool, thanks a lot for the suggestions based on past experience, thats what i was looking for guys:p

still looking for a free program that works.....all of those demos you guys suggested limit file size to 64k.....or something like that

i need 50Mb's of data recovered and i dont want to pay $80 to do it once, call me cheap or whatever

Did you actually install anything onto that partition or was it just formatted?

If the only thing you did to it was format it, grab the Ultimate Boot CD and use one of the programs on there to "restore" the partition back to the way it was before you formatted it.

I've been successful at doing this on a couple of systems. I did it on one of my systems once and a friend has done it a few times to his. I've been able to recover the data every time as long as the only thing done was a repartition/format.

still looking for a free program that works.....all of those demos you guys suggested limit file size to 64k.....or something like that

i need 50Mb's of data recovered and i dont want to pay $80 to do it once, call me cheap or whatever

buy the software, use it, return it?

also, it can't be that big a problem if you're not willing to pay $80 to fix it.

Did you actually install anything onto that partition or was it just formatted?

If the only thing you did to it was format it, grab the Ultimate Boot CD and use one of the programs on there to "restore" the partition back to the way it was before you formatted it.

I've been successful at doing this on a couple of systems. I did it on one of my systems once and a friend has done it a few times to his. I've been able to recover the data every time as long as the only thing done was a repartition/format.

yes! i mean no...i mean, yes all i did weas tell Vista to format that partition from within Disc Management, nothing else, did not write to it, install anything, etc... ok...all i need is my Vista Ultimate disc right? :D

there are other programs like GetDataBack and R-Studio, that u could download for trial use.

I have used GetDataBack with flawless results. You do however have to buy the program to retrieve your lost files. The trial version will find them, but won't let you access them untill after you buy the program. It is a bit pricey, but well worth the investment IMHO.

I have used GetDataBack with flawless results. You do however have to buy the program to retrieve your lost files. The trial version will find them, but won't let you access them untill after you buy the program. It is a bit pricey, but well worth the investment IMHO.

guess what, i was poking around today and just found where i had backed up the files on the other HDD......i knew i wasn't so absent minded as to not backup first.....LOL:D

Thats cool...glad you were able to recovery everything without spending any $$$$. I had to buy GDB after an accidental reformat. Not only did it recover all the files on the drive, but it recovered them in the folders I had them stored in. I didn't have to go back and sort everything out.

Thats cool...glad you were able to recovery everything without spending any $$$$. I had to buy GDB after an accidental reformat. Not only did it recover all the files on the drive, but it recovered them in the folders I had them stored in. I didn't have to go back and sort everything out.

At least one of the free utilities on the Ultimate Boot CD will do the exact same thing without having to pay a dime except for the net connection to download the ISO and the CD to burn it to.

As I said, I've used it to restore re-partitioned and formatted partitions before with 100% success. There is no reason to buy any software if this is all you need to do. To recover data has has been written over with other data, that may be a different story. I've never had to mess with that before.

Back