I plan to build a desk

I'm getting tired of my current desk. It was a cheap one from Ikea I bought several years ago and it's getting to the point I just hope it doesn't collapse on me and destroy my monitors.

I decided instead of spending a bunch of cash on a desk and triple monitor arm I am going to build one out of some lumber I have setting around.

I'm not going for pretty, but for function. I'll end up sanding it down, staining it and what not but I am perfectly find with the legs being nothing more than 2x4's.

I threw together some quick mockups with Google Sketchup (first time ever using that program, so they arn't great) but they show the general idea..

I just wanted to get you guys/gals thoughts or comments on things I can improve, possibly the best way to mount the monitors (they have standard 100mm VESA mounts on the back, I'm thinking of just throwing something together out of some angle iron or steel tubing I have laying around and possibly making mounts myself or finding some cheap)

Everything here is basically to scale, the measurements are ballpark ones for right now (especially on the hight of the monitors, etc..) I need to keep the entire thing under 67 inches length wise and width wise about 30 inches as I don't have much room to work with.

CLICK FOR LARGE IMAGES

What do you think?

That's pretty awesome! Very clean and simple design. Good luck on the build!

I want build pics. Can I have build pics?

I'm trying to psych myself up to build a desk, so I kinda want to see all I can before I take the plunge.

Once I refine my design a bit more I'll start construction.

I'll def be taking pics as a build it and posting them though

So the monitor post and arms are going to be metal correct? Also no drawers? Do you have a set of 2.1 or 5.1 speakers or headphones? I like the design, i'll be watching the build.

I think you should reconsider and add at least one drawer, even if a small one underneath the PC itself. I have a very beautiful tempered glass L-desk with aluminum frame that is great... except for all the stuff I have on top of it in-between cleanup sessions because there's nowhere to hide it. (Pencils, notes, papers, etc.)

Similarly, worked for an employer who built my desk in a drafting room and didn't include anywhere for storage of items. Big mistake, as the amount of paperwork involved with my position made the place look like a mess always! Eventually this was changed (when I let him realize what was missing on his own), but still, very bad planning.

It looks like he has it open on the bottom for air flow, but i agree on adding a drawer or maybe a "desk trap" close to the monitors?

So the monitor post and arms are going to be metal correct? Also no drawers? Do you have a set of 2.1 or 5.1 speakers or headphones? I like the design, i'll be watching the build.
Most likely going to make it out of metal, the mockup for the monitor arm is just that, a basic mockup to give me an idea of placement.

I do have headphones (Logitech G930's) but I also have a cheap (like $19 from Walmart cheap) set of 2.1 Stereo speakers setting around I'll put in as well.

I think you should reconsider and add at least one drawer, even if a small one underneath the PC itself. I have a very beautiful tempered glass L-desk with aluminum frame that is great... except for all the stuff I have on top of it in-between cleanup sessions because there's nowhere to hide it. (Pencils, notes, papers, etc.)

Similarly, worked for an employer who built my desk in a drafting room and didn't include anywhere for storage of items. Big mistake, as the amount of paperwork involved with my position made the place look like a mess always! Eventually this was changed (when I let him realize what was missing on his own), but still, very bad planning.

Hadn't really thought about drawers. I don't really have a lot of room to be putting drawers and things but I'll figure something out for stashing all this clutter

It looks like he has it open on the bottom for air flow, but i agree on adding a drawer or maybe a "desk trap" close to the monitors?

Everything in my comp is air cooled so I do want good air flow around it (that's why I have the hole in the shelf the tower sets on)

I've refined my design some, this is probably what I am going with. It'll be a lot sturdier than my first mockup.

Maybe mount some cable management of some sort on the back edge next to the computer. Is the beam that holds the monitors going to double for cable management? Also on the horizontal supports between the front and back you might want to put a thicker piece of wood there. Have you thought about making feet on the bottom? If your floor happens to be uneven it may not sit very/level without them.

Maybe mount some cable management of some sort on the back edge next to the computer. Is the beam that holds the monitors going to double for cable management? Also on the horizontal supports between the front and back you might want to put a thicker piece of wood there. Have you thought about making feet on the bottom? If your floor happens to be uneven it may not sit very/level without them.

The beam for the monitors in the mockup is just placeholder, I hope use use some steel squarestock I have so I plan to run the cables inside of that until they get below desk level. The back panel is inset 3 inches so I have plenty of room to stash cables, you did give me an idea though so I added these. It keeps the cables from running around the back of the rear legs.

As for feet, the floor I am putting it on is very flat concrete so it's level.

Back