My Desk + Custom Triple Monitor Stand - WIP

A while back I posted some Google Sketchup mockups of a custom desk and monitor stand I was planning to build.

I started a few weeks ago, just cutting the lumber and getting things situated. I took my plans to my father, as he is a carpenter with 30+ years of experience and has forgotten more about building things with wood than I will ever know. He made some suggestions and changes to my original mockup that actually make it stronger and use less wood. So we decided to make this a father/son project of sorts, as I haven't helped him really build anything in 15 years or so.

Due to my camera being "borrowed" (aka stolen) by my sister for a couple weeks I have no early build pics, save for one which is just cutting and assembling of the legs.

legs_constructin.jpg

Next we jump ahead a few weeks or so to a nearly complete desk, just adding final touches like trim. Still needs stained and then coated in finish for protection.

A good overview pick of the front of the desk, with the case shelf on the side.

desk_front.jpg

The back

desk_rear.jpg

desk_rear_2.jpg

Shelf for my modem/router and anything else I plan to stick there...

desk_shelf_side.jpg

From the side

desk_side.jpg

Finished rear cable area (added the support across the bottom, the monitor support pole will be bolted to this)

rear_cables_area_full.jpg

rear_cables_area_side.jpg

(Note to self, pre-drill holes to prevent wood splitting)

Case Shelf with trim (The blocks allow the case to still have it's roller wheels on it, the case support pads rest securely on the blocks If I want to remove the wheels, I just detach the shelf, unscrew the blocks and I have a flat shelf)

case_shelf_attached.jpg

case_shelf_deattached.jpg

case_shelf_joint.jpg

Everything here was done with hand tools and these two saws. No fancy table saws here

tools.jpg

I plan to stain/seal the desk this week and start work on the monitor mounting system, that'll be made out of metal and bolt onto the back of the desk itself. Kinda making it up as I go along.

Last edited:
Applied the first coat of stain to the desk today. Going with a natural stain, so it should retain the natural look of the wood.

Will take more pics when I am putting the polyurethane coating on the outside to protect it.

Anyone have any suggestions on what the best coating for the desktop would be? I'm thinking either Polyurethane or something like a resin or something.

i like it! no desks have thought-out places for wiring and modems/routers. i hate the backside of my desk. how are you going to get it into your room? it looks pretty big. does it disassemble at all?

Looks great! Nice layout, nice construction, very well thought out! I'm impressed you haven't used a table saw either.

I'm very interested to see the monitor stand come together!

subscribed!

i like it! no desks have thought-out places for wiring and modems/routers. i hate the backside of my desk. how are you going to get it into your room? it looks pretty big. does it disassemble at all?
It'll fit through the doors and the hallway. At least it should. If all else fails, it comes in through the window.
Looks great! Nice layout, nice construction, very well thought out! I'm impressed you haven't used a table saw either.

I'm very interested to see the monitor stand come together!

subscribed!
Thanks. The monitor stand work starts soon.

I also think I've decided to use Semigloss Clear Brushing Lacquer for the desktop instead of straight polyurethane.

Nice work man. I really like this. It makes me want to build a new work bench! I like your design for this desk. Can't wait to see the finished product with workstation up and running!

Got two coats of the Lacquer on the desktop so far. Damn, that is powerful stuff. Originally did it in the basement (with open windows, doors and fans running and it still stunk up the house. Had to move it to the shed.

Started some basic work on the monitor stand. I had gotten a bunch of free metal steel poles that hold up the reflectors and street signs (like stop signs), since they are free I've been trying to figure a way to use them instead of buying stuff.

Finally got it all stained and the desktop coated with a few coats of Lacquer. I used "Natural" stain (so clear), so it didn't change the color at all.

The rest of the desk has some polyurethane on it though it needs a few more coats.

back_stained.jpg

case_shelf_attached_stained.jpg

shelf_stained.jpg

side_stained.jpg

top_stained_lacquered.jpg

Hey, that's turning out to be quite a desk! Have you ever considered a laminate top? Like a smooth black granite-like finish? That'd be slick.

Hey, that's turning out to be quite a desk! Have you ever considered a laminate top? Like a smooth black granite-like finish? That'd be slick.

I thought about it, but I am trying to do this for as little $$$ as possible. Hell, the wood and metal (for the monitor stand) I got for free.

I've only had to buy the sheet board, stain, lacquer, polyurethane, and some bolts.

Since I can't afford (right now) a fancy new desk and the WSGF Edition Multi-Monitor Stand I'm trying to build one cheap.

I got the final coat of poly on the desk, once that dries I'll be ready to attach the desktop to the desk frame, then concentrate on the monitor stand itself

Got the desktop secured and attached to the frame. The desk is done! (I hope!)

Now it's onto the monitor stand. Since I only have a limited amount of metal (got it all free, don't want to spend more money) I am having some issues with how I plan to do it but I've got some ideas and my father's also chipped in a few of his ideas.

We'll get something figured out.

And some pics of the finished desk. The black tape are markers for where parts of the monitor stand will be, so ignore those. The stand will be attached to the desk, but built in a way it can easily be removed and the desk used without it.

finished_desk_isometric.jpg

finished_desk_front.jpg

finished_desk_front_angle.jpg

finished_desk_front_low.jpg

finished_desk_front_low2.jpg

finished_desk_side.jpg

finished_desk_side_case_shelf.jpg

finished_desk_back.jpg

finished_desk_back_angle2.jpg

finished_desk_back_cable_area.jpg

finished_desk_back_case_angle.jpg

Very cool. Even though I would have gone with a darker stain (because my taste and decor), but this looks bad ass! Wood is not something easy to work. Not as easy as some may think. Metal is so much more forgiving, but wood can be very temperamental, requiring a lot of skill. And you've got it man. Nicely done.

Looking forward to the monitor stand! If your woodcrafting skills are any indicator, the monitor stand will be equally awesome.

I'm all for doing things on the cheap. In general, I'd much rather do it myself than pay someone else or buy it off the shelf. More rewarding and a unique and genuine finished product. And when it's all said and done you've got something noone else has, that works just as well, if not better, and some cash left over in your pocket. ;)

Very cool. Even though I would have gone with a darker stain (because my taste and decor), but this looks bad ass! Wood is not something easy to work. Not as easy as some may think. Metal is so much more forgiving, but wood can be very temperamental, requiring a lot of skill. And you've got it man. Nicely done.

Looking forward to the monitor stand! If your woodcrafting skills are any indicator, the monitor stand will be equally awesome.

I'm all for doing things on the cheap. In general, I'd much rather do it myself than pay someone else or buy it off the shelf. More rewarding and a unique and genuine finished product. And when it's all said and done you've got something noone else has, that works just as well, if not better, and some cash left over in your pocket. ;)

I liked the natural look of the wood, even though it has some iffy area's it suits my purpose and style.

As for woodcrafting skills, mine are ok, my father (who's been helping me) has 30+ years of woodcrafting experience. Most of the fancy stuff is all him, but I've learned quiet a bit from watching him.

The monitor stand is taking inspiration from a dual pole Chief stand I saw a while back. It'll have two poles (that mount to the desk) and two cross arms that the monitors mount too, so one cross arm for the top bolts and one for the bottom.

I'll have to get some pictures of it once I have more of it done.

Quick update on the Monitor Stand

The free steel I got was from old street sign poles (the kind that stop signs, and road side reflectors are mounted on)

It's all galvanized steel, so that makes it a bitch to weld, even if you grind it and then try to weld it. After some discussion with my father, he suggested since straight up welding it won't be strong enough we are going to use some 2 inch steel stock (having to buy this) and weld + bolt this thing all together.

Going to pick that up today at some point and hopefully get some work done on it tonight.

Update!!

Finally got somewhere on the monitor stand/arms. Since I am basically working with what I got it's taken some extra thought (all my dad on this one, he thought of how to solve the problem of not being able to weld the galvanized steel).

The WIP stand in the vice, clamped together to get the general idea.

monitor_stand_in_bench.jpg

Testing the mounting system to the desk itself (Chocolate Lab in the back, eating wood. The dumb dog loves to eat wood shavings)

monitor_stand_testing.jpg

Attached to the desk with the arms

monitor_stand_front.jpg

monitor_stand_back.jpg

The stand has been painted. Now working on the mounts for the monitors themselves.

Despite the large gap you'll see in one of these pictures this thing is f'ing strong as hell. It's all steel, though since I am working with freebie steel I have to work around things like the gaps.

monitor_stand_painted_off_front.jpg

monitor_stand_painted_off_back.jpg

monitor_stand_painted_off_bolts.jpg

monitor_stand_painted_off_bolts_back.jpg

Got it all put together. All the cable management is temporary as I need to get some extension cables for some of them, mount the surge protector, etc...

I also have some work to do on the monitor mounts as the monitors don't line up perfectly, have to cut some of the bolts off so they don't stick out but I am happy with it so far.

setup_desk_front.jpg

setup_desk_front_2.jpg

setup_desk_side.jpg

setup_desk_side_back.jpg

setup_desk_case_cables.jpg

wow looking amazing!! the side holder for the case and wire management came out pretty nice

also I notice that I have the same case

A few days in an loving the desk. Still have some basic monitor mount issues to work out but that shouldn't take long.

I need to get some longer DVI cables as the ones that come with the monitor are a bit on the short side.

Overall I am very happy with the build. I am also throwing the idea around of mounting my small 17 inch 720p HDTV above the center monitor so I can watch TV when on the comp.

So I was bored and got sick of where my TV was located so I put it on there as well. I also bought a new office chair as I didn't like the old one

tv_mount_front.jpg

tv_mount_side.jpg

tv_mount_back.jpg

Last edited:
Back