i ordered x1800xt

Maybe not with insane AA turned on, but other than that, yeah. Not sure about if you kept shadows on.

Mr. Stryker said:
Maybe not with insane AA turned on, but other than that, yeah. Not sure about if you kept shadows on.

Meh I ran Oblivion at 1024x768 resolution and didnt notice many jaggies with AA off. At that res, he probably wont need AA and can use that extra power for other graphic options.

well if i cant, do you think it will be possible to have the game run at full settings if i get a x-fi sound card? I hear it increases the fps by a lot

insane said:
well if i cant, do you think it will be possible to have the game run at full settings if i get a x-fi sound card? I hear it increases the fps by a lot

Don't believe everything you hear... while it DOES take most of the audio encoding chores away from the CPU it doesn't make that big of an impact on performance. Maybe 2 or 3 frames per second difference at best.

That's not saying the X-Fi isn't a worthwhile purchase. The enhanced audio effects that the X-Fi provides make for a much more enjoyable gaming experience.

Blue Falcon said:
Don't believe everything you hear... while it DOES take most of the audio encoding chores away from the CPU it doesn't make that big of an impact on performance. Maybe 2 or 3 frames per second difference at best.

That's not saying the X-Fi isn't a worthwhile purchase. The enhanced audio effects that the X-Fi provides make for a much more enjoyable gaming experience.
indeed
the sound card isnt what you want if you prefer more fps

i'd say return the card and get the $279 x1900 xt oem on newegg the extra dollars will pay off big in performance in the future months and most of the neweggs oem's do come with cables and drivers.

BlueFridays said:
i'd say return the card and get the $279 x1900 xt oem on newegg the extra dollars will pay off big in performance in the future months and most of the neweggs oem's do come with cables and drivers.

Dont rain on his parade,maybe he doesn't feel the need to spend 300 (close to) on a videocard, 200 is a shitload of money to spend on a single component to some.

ITSTHINKING said:
Dont rain on his parade,maybe he doesn't feel the need to spend 300 (close to) on a videocard, 200 is a shitload of money to spend on a single component to some.

the x1900 xt is worth every penny.. 48 shader lines is eye candyness

how much was the x1800 and why did you choose that particular card.

its pretty crippled in my opinion x1900 of just about any flavor would give you much better performance and help future proof your build.

not to piss in your wheaties but I would rma that vid card and go with a x1900

Guys, the OP's question is if he can get Oblivion to run at 1280x1024 will full settings and an X1800XT. Let's stick to the question.

You SHOULD be able to play the game at close to, if not at, full settings. I say this because my X850XT PE can play at close to full settings (I obviously don't have HDR, grass on shadows is turned off and I have actor and object fade slid down about halfway). With an X1800XT, you should be fine. 2GB of RAM is more than enough for Oblivion (even when maxed out, Oblivion won't use more than about 900 MB of RAM - although having more than 1GB of RAM is good because Windows has to use RAM up too). 2GB is plenty. Also, while getting an X-Fi will increase your FPS, it will only do so by about 1-4 FPS because your sound actually puts little stress on the CPU. The question about whether or not X-Fis in reality give you better sound or not is also debatable, so as a rule of thumb only get an X-Fi unless you really want one for audio purposes.

stealthy123 said:
how much was the x1800 and why did you choose that particular card.

its pretty crippled in my opinion x1900 of just about any flavor would give you much better performance and help future proof your build.

not to piss in your wheaties but I would rma that vid card and go with a x1900
i choose to get the x1800xt because it was $200 dollars and i knew that i wanted 2 gigs of desktop memory. If i would of gotten x1900xt (which is what i orignally was about to get) i would have to get 1 gig of ram. Reading reviews, i seen that having 2 gigs of ram and a decent video card can make any game run liquid smooth.

PWMK2 said:
Guys, the OP's question is if he can get Oblivion to run at 1280x1024 will full settings and an X1800XT. Let's stick to the question.

You SHOULD be able to play the game at close to, if not at, full settings. I say this because my X850XT PE can play at close to full settings (I obviously don't have HDR, grass on shadows is turned off and I have actor and object fade slid down about halfway). With an X1800XT, you should be fine. 2GB of RAM is more than enough for Oblivion (even when maxed out, Oblivion won't use more than about 900 MB of RAM - although having more than 1GB of RAM is good because Windows has to use RAM up too). 2GB is plenty. Also, while getting an X-Fi will increase your FPS, it will only do so by about 1-4 FPS because your sound actually puts little stress on the CPU. The question about whether or not X-Fis in reality give you better sound or not is also debatable, so as a rule of thumb only get an X-Fi unless you really want one for audio purposes.
thanks for the honest reply, I beleive x1800xt will run great given the other components i bought. close to full would be GREAT for me. I just want the game to run 40+ fps, but i prefer 60+ fps

i have a 7600gt and got game to run mid-high at 1280-1024 you should okay

insane said:
i choose to get the x1800xt because it was $200 dollars and i knew that i wanted 2 gigs of desktop memory. If i would of gotten x1900xt (which is what i orignally was about to get) i would have to get 1 gig of ram. Reading reviews, i seen that having 2 gigs of ram and a decent video card can make any game run liquid smooth.

a card with 512 memory pretty much ends up doign the same thing and your rig will be obsolete way sooner now and you will end up spending more on another vidcard in a year when you woudln't have to do unless you got the x1800xt. but to each his own and good luck.

insane said:

lol I love ppl who would spend a load of money on proccessors and ram and not spend a lil more for a card until they regret it when crysis or unreal 3 engine games comes out..

BlueFridays said:
lol I love ppl who would spend a load of money on proccessors and ram and not spend a lil more for a card until they regret it when crysis or unreal 3 engine games comes out..

That would be entire up to him... We haven't seen Unreal and Crysis run on current cards... Buying for the future is the stupidest thing you can do with computer peripherals..

1800xt is great card either way for the money...

BlueFridays said:

Its a fantastic card for the money and a fantastic card anyway, always a good reason to buy :)
Its so cheap, theres little loss to be made selling it on later and buying possibly much faster hardware when the price has dropped.
Its a no risk cheap solution just in the right price bracket to allow budget conscious gamers to spend more getting the other parts they really want like the new Core Duo or AM2.

This card lets you have your cake and eat it :)

No doubt, its not a low price because its a bad card trust me. The card is great. I run at that res and while some of the sliders for draw distance on actors and grass are not all the way up but it runs with HDR, at the Ultra High Settings within the games launcher. Its pretty much beautiful and it runs at 40fps dipping to 30 at some points in time. In Towns and caves you get 50 to 60 fps. Thats with my setup in Sig.
If you want a screenie to see how it looks I can post one.

Well, I'm loving my X1800XT. I'm playing Quake 4 on Ultra at 1280x1024, FEAR Combat at 1280x920 ( :mad: ) with everything on and i couldn't be happier.

I love how people are jumping on this guy for not following advice he didn't ask for!! :p

The X1800XTX 512MB is the best bang for the buck card, period.
For the extra $1000 the X1900XT is nice but it all depends on how valuable that $100 is to you.

You made a good call. It should run your games just fine!
My X1800XT 512mb is the best video card I have ever owned! I see no reason to upgrade for some time.

Just dropped the money for the x1800xt 256 model. And a free shirt, whee :D Are there any games out there that I wont be able to run at 1280x1024(960) with AA and top AF?

Whats the Sapphire warranty like also btw?

-wil

pigwalk said:
Just dropped the money for the x1800xt 256 model. And a free shirt, whee :D Are there any games out there that I wont be able to run at 1280x1024(960) with AA and top AF?

Whats the Sapphire warranty like also btw?

-wil

Yes there is!!, try Call of Juarez ;).

CoJ = Gun done right? Or that's what they're hoping to accomplish?

I don't think i'll try that demo for a while. Don't feel like turning down settings for quite a while :).

I think what everyone is dying to know is....

How's the shirt :D .

-wil

dude.. i've been able to run oblivion on max settings and aliasing and was able to get 30 solid fps while in dungeons, that saying @ 1680x1050 resolution. Though outside i have to turn off all of the aa. but yea wicked resolution!

Card in, downloading drivers. Judging by the Cat 6.8 drivers thread I decided to go 6.3. Will have results soon.

The X1800XTX 512MB is the best bang for the buck card, period.
For the extra $1000 the X1900XT is nice but it all depends on how valuable that $100 is to you.

WOAH!

Only played Prey and BF2 right now. Pissed that I still can't play BF2 with Textures on high! 1280x1024, everything else on highest, 4xaa, high AF and STILL playing on medium textures! Guess next upgrade is 2gb of ram eh? Prey did awesome at 12x10 all high, 4AA.

Using the Cat 6.3, should I be getting the 6.8's or no? Also, AF and AA in drivers, or in game? Will AF in game utilize thr HQ AF?

and the damn thing Is FRIGGIN LOUD. It's not as "whiney" as everyone says all the time, but the sound of millions of CFM's moving, like a giant factory exhaust fan. Definately getting an Accelero soon. Will pick up titan quest today, see how that goes.

66 at Idle right now. Truthfully, at load, it's just as hot as my 6600gt was (90) so oh well.

-wil

I can run Oblivion at 1152x864 with near-max settings with 4x AA and a high-res LOD texture mod, and I average 20-30 FPS in crowded forests, and 50+ in cities and indoors. The x1800xt is a wonderful card. I could've gotten the x1900xt, but my 1800xt will easily last me 2-3 years, and by then I can spend another $200-$300 bucks for a vastly superior (not to mention DX10 compatible) card.

You think it's better bang for buck than this? Isn't it between a x1800xt and x1900xt in speed?

Back