I/O lag fix for Samsung Galaxy S-performance through the ROOF

m3ta1head

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=749530

APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK. KNOW THE POTENTIAL PERILS AND MAKE A BACKUP/HAVE A BACKUP ROM READY TO FLASH IN CLOCKWORK

Just applied this fix on my Vibrant. Essentially it creates a 1GB EXT2 partition on the internal memory and moves all apps, data, and dbdata onto the partition. This causes I/O performance to explode!

Before:

fa3dfc3c1508cb3a441061b.png

After:

24b240437952bde2a63ca28.png

:eek::eek:

Performance is through the ROOF. There is no longer a delay when dragging and dropping icons on the home screen, the marketplace loads much more quickly, and the entire phone is much, much snappier than stock. This is not a placebo fix that only increases benchmark scores, my phone FLIES now. This makes the Galaxy S the fastest phone ever!

edit: after a reboot I am now benchmarking 2214 in Quadrant. Holy fucking sheeeeet!

Thats even on the low end of the spectrum, ~2200 seems to be more common on XDA.

I dont think it moves the Apps, just App Data, Dalvik-cache over to the virtual ext.

I'm using the old SDCard EXT and run ~ 1900. I'm waiting on the for the OC kernel to mature a bit more then will switch over to it with the vitrual EXT hack.

edit: didn't see your edit, lol..

I'm wanting to try this, but here's a noob question. What are you using to backup the phone? And does it backup only the OS or apps and everything on the phone as well? Also needs to be rooted as well?

Last edited:
I have this hack on my phone and my Quadrant scores now hit 2150 consistently. The phone is WAY faster than stock. This is how the phone should have shipped.

Holy SHIT.

Got a friends galaxy S on bell....

Rooted, stock rom...

2248 in quadrant. Holy TITS.

Back