I need to vent! BF3 related!

All I'll say is that when this game is fun, it's the most amazing game ever. But when you are sucking, it's absolutely infuriating. There is nothing that makes you want to punch the screen more than spawning on Karkand, getting killed by a sniper, spawning as a sniper, getting killed by a tank, spawning as an engineer, getting killed by some support guy that comes out of motherfucking nowhere, etc. (meanwhile, your team is running around while the other team controls all but one control point) Rinse and repeat, you just want to fucking kill everyone in the game.

But I still think this is the best shooter ever made and one of my top games of all time.

This is exactly how feel sometimes. Granted I just bought the game a few days ago and have only logged about 10 hours, so very few kits/guns still, but my god sometimes you're completely out gunned. I've also found that nearly every game I've been in has been one sided. There was one conquest game where both teams were neck and neck until the end, while every other game, SD, Conquest, Rush, whatever it may be, has one team that will crush the other. This gets old real quick.

This game feels very single player oriented now. Team's are effective, but no longer necessary. Hell, nearly 90% of the time more than half the team isn't in a squad. There should be a auto squad-up feature when joining the server (like BFBC2)...

It's still a blast to play for the most part, but there could be some changes for the better IMO.

How do you propose they fix it? In another FPS game they countered it by not letting you go prone or move when your legs are against an obstruction. Which also meant you can't lead people if you were hiding between crates or when you're up against a wall (You can't prone if there's a wall behind you, and you can't turn while prone if there's a wall on your left or right). If you were to do the same with the gun, you'll have the same issue as the tank in Crysis. When the tank barrel in crysis hits something (especially if you drag it against the wall at the start of the tank map and it hits a support pillar), the entire tank stops, lots of BF3 people camping the windows and corners would have an issue with that.

If they were to add an animation that make the model raise raise their guns when close to a wall, you'd have a lot of people running around killing people with their guns aimed skywards rather than forwards, like what's happening now with the reload and fire animation getting mixed up. Only the animation error would occur more often since people are always behind cover.

Fix it by not showing the part that would be sticking through the wall. I don't have a problem with being able to go prone next to a wall (although to be honest, if there isn't room to go prone in real life, why should I be able to go prone in a game?), but you still don't have to show the legs sticking through the wall. They can make it work with boxes and other models (you never see a box sticking halfway through a wall), so why not player models?

It is a little bit hard to not show their model because the easiest ways of doing it would have a nasty side effect of you not seeing parts of people you should in many cases.

Another option is to make players collision box larger but then you might get mad because you cannot get as close as you want to walls.

It is just one of those things people complain alot about because they expect so much realism out of these games, once you learn it just adapt. Do not jam yourself against walls like that.

It is a little bit hard to not show their model because the easiest ways of doing it would have a nasty side effect of you not seeing parts of people you should in many cases.

Another option is to make players collision box larger but then you might get mad because you cannot get as close as you want to walls.

It is just one of those things people complain alot about because they expect so much realism out of these games, once you learn it just adapt. Do not jam yourself against walls like that.

I've learned not to stand so close to walls, so it doesn't really bother me - just looks dumb to see feet sticking through a wall.

I've learned not to stand so close to walls, so it doesn't really bother me - just looks dumb to see feet sticking through a wall.

agree it looks dumb but its always fun shooting that noob through a wall because he thought he was cool trying to hide 3/4 of his body so no one would see him on the other side of the wall.

Fix it by not showing the part that would be sticking through the wall. I don't have a problem with being able to go prone next to a wall (although to be honest, if there isn't room to go prone in real life, why should I be able to go prone in a game?), but you still don't have to show the legs sticking through the wall. They can make it work with boxes and other models (you never see a box sticking halfway through a wall), so why not player models?

rudy pretty much summed it up, but the issue is that collision boxes actually only extent from your head to your waist. they could extend them all the way to your legs but then it causes an even bigger problem with jumping over stuff that you can jump over now. so you can't have it both ways. even if they were to fix it people would just start bitching about how they can't jump over a rock they use to be able to jump over before it was fixed. either way its a lose lose situation for everyone.

Last edited:

If you make the collision box cover up the entire player like they do with the cardboard boxes, you wouldn't be able to stand close enough to the window to look outside because the player collision box would include the gun, which would then be hitting the window sides.

As for the occlusion you described. There is logically no difference between a wall, glass door, and fence. The occlusion conditions which would also includes modifying polygons would be too processor intensive with no generally usable set of conditions. What if the player is partly behind a wall (which happens all the time), if you make his arms or other extremities disappear you'd have polygon breakups everywhere. Not to mention selective occlusion is expensive.

I thought going to BF3 with some of the smaller maps (I'm used to BF2 and Arma2) would bother me, but I find I have the most fun on the smaller maps. Once I got used to Operation Metro on 32 man servers, I had a hard time going back to the bigger maps with vehicles. I do like the oil refinery map (is that operation firestorm), because there is like 1 helicopter, 1 jet, and 1 tank on each side or so, and feel its a good combined map. Other maps, the vehicles make all the difference, and aren't as fun to me. I think because mostly people just base rape, err, "camp" with the tank or vehicle.

I have a question and thought I would post it here vs. the other thread that is way too large...

I just got BF3 for Christmas. I can't really complain or cheer about it yet because the thing won't run for more than a couple minutes with out crashing.
I ran all the updates and lowered the graphics down to "high" and it still locks up.

Any suggestions?

complete lock-up.
I have to cntrl-alt-del and close it down and try again.

any known issues with BF3 and the 560ti 448 core video cards?

Love the game, been playing it everday this past week with my brother. One of my complaints, is the stupid knife animation. I want to stab, not watch a cinematic.

My biggest complaint is getting killed one to two seconds after taking cover. It makes it useless to even run and take cover. Thanks alot client side hit detection.

Love the game, been playing it everday this past week with my brother. One of my complaints, is the stupid knife animation. I want to stab, not watch a cinematic.

The knife thing is really getting old. Not just bf3, but i'm really getting tired of people continiously going for mellee when they have a perfectly good shot in a critical area. Even in BF3, people would sacrifice their teammates and/or mcom just so they can have a melee kill.

I just have to laugh when i get knifed and know that the only reason he got behind me was because i was too busy wiping out his squad. Not so funny when i'm in the flanking squad, got the jump on a skeleton crew guarding a distant mcom and our pointman blocks the entrance because he knifed the enemy when he could have killed all three from behind instead, and got us all killed in the process :mad:

The knife thing is really getting old. Not just bf3, but i'm really getting tired of people continiously going for mellee when they have a perfectly good shot in a critical area. Even in BF3, people would sacrifice their teammates and/or mcom just so they can have a melee kill.

I just have to laugh when i get knifed and know that the only reason he got behind me was because i was too busy wiping out his squad. Not so funny when i'm in the flanking squad, got the jump on a skeleton crew guarding a distant mcom and our pointman blocks the entrance because he knifed the enemy when he could have killed all three from behind instead, and got us all killed in the process :mad:

I like knifing but not when I have a solid shot. Snipers, if i can sneak up on them, get the knife. And yes, I agree. Why do people have to block the fucking entrances? 6 people can't get out because some douche wants to lay prone in the door. If possible, I just rocket through the wall and move on.

You know, I used to get frustrated at this game until I learned that things will probably never change and unless I change my kicking and screaming mentality, I'm only going to get killed over and over. Adapt and change your play style or just stop playing. It's not worth getting all worked up over a game. And guess what, when I changed my play style and learned how to use the game to my advantage, I started kicking some serious ass and the confidence level behind my gunplay shot up significantly. The ones who survive are the ones most adaptable to change (lol).

QFT. Was reading this thread only looking for the one post that spoke my mind. Right here.

I understand everyone's nitpicks, but shit, this game is brilliant for what it does RIGHT.

no, audio is going through my Creative Labs Fatal1ty card.

Any ideas what could cause it to keep locking up?

Anyone?

Loved BF1942.

Didn't really care for BF:Vietnam.

LOVED BF2. PERFECT Game.

BF:2142 was fun, just didn't play it much because of titan lag on our server.

BC2: Played it a lot because of friends but never really got into it, a lot of little things pissed me off.

BF3. It's really just BC2 reskinned. Everything from the players to the guns to the graphics constantly piss me off about this game. What the hell are with the jet flying mechanics? They don't even expect you to land in this game (runway/carrier too short/ no auto repair). I'm taking a vaca from this game and am seriously doubting coming back to it any time soon.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the auto spawn in vehicles. Do people REALLY have that much of a problem with running to vehicles to hop in that they had to make you spawn in it?

I may just end up going to Project reality.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the auto spawn in vehicles. Do people REALLY have that much of a problem with running to vehicles to hop in that they had to make you spawn in it?

I think it's to discourage half the team from standing around waiting for vehicles instead of playing.

Yeah, but it's not an option that's given on a lot of the vanilla maps.

What I get tired of is, why can't people show a little patience in the vehicles to wait for others to hop in the other seats? I finally started trying to play around with helicopters last night and quite a few times, I was running towards one to hop in the gunner's seat, and the pilot would just take off without me. I'd type in team chat to wait, I'd hit "Q" to indicate I wanted a ride, nada.

I've seen how powerful those assault choppers can be with a gunner tagging along...I did get one pilot who waited for me, and we were pretty effective. So I don't get it. :rolleyes:

What I get tired of is, why can't people show a little patience in the vehicles to wait for others to hop in the other seats? I finally started trying to play around with helicopters last night and quite a few times, I was running towards one to hop in the gunner's seat, and the pilot would just take off without me. I'd type in team chat to wait, I'd hit "Q" to indicate I wanted a ride, nada.

I've seen how powerful those assault choppers can be with a gunner tagging along...I did get one pilot who waited for me, and we were pretty effective. So I don't get it. :rolleyes:

Because people are idiots? Bothers the hell out of me. Especially on conquest when one person will take a jeep/buggy and take off like a bat out of hell and leave his teammates behind.

I finally started trying to play around with helicopters last night and quite a few times, I was running towards one to hop in the gunner's seat, and the pilot would just take off without me. I'd type in team chat to wait, I'd hit "Q" to indicate I wanted a ride, nada.

I'll be honest, I do this often because I don't want some random person in my gunner's seat - I have a friend in battlelog and squad who will spawn on me once in the air.

I'll be honest, I do this often because I don't want some random person in my gunner's seat - I have a friend in battlelog and squad who will spawn on me once in the air.

That's fine, but I see plenty of people that are just out to grab a vehicle and use it by themselves.

My biggest complaint is getting killed one to two seconds after taking cover. It makes it useless to even run and take cover. Thanks alot client side hit detection.

Lower your network smoothing option in the menu. If it is at 100% you will suffer that. I run around 30%. There are some graphical glitches but that pretty much solves the cover issue.

no, audio is going through my Creative Labs Fatal1ty card.

Any ideas what could cause it to keep locking up?

Anyone?

Is your onboard sound enabled in your motherboard bios? If it even is enabled, it can cause crashes.

sure, but this one is specific to my whining. And you know what, it helped me cool down and I feel better now.

After a while, you realize it's a multiplatform game with BC2 mixed in.
You can't look at this game as an exclusive and pure BF shooter on PC.

This. Helos are usually hoarded by teammates that fly well together. Also many people insta spawn into them and it may seem like they are leaving others behind, but there's someone already in the gunners seat.
I jump out of tanks when I'm in the gunner position, I refuse to be driven around by someone that can't drive the tank like a boss. Either I drive or I'm on foot.

Last edited:
Back