I need the best Gaming Motherboard

TeeJay

Gawd
Hi,

Well..Yeah, I want to get a new motherboard that would fit for gaming, a powerful one, as the best, what does everyone think?

"the best gaming motherboard"

cost isnt an issue? Go with the X58 board from evga. Asus hasnt made an earth shattering motherboard in a while and EVGA's comes with a lifetime warrenty.

It supports SLI and crossfire so two HD4870X2's is an option if you want.

Well yeah...I need to know which motherboard is the best in performance and quality to get it :p So I thought I'd ask :|

And no Wizard, it's not a problem at all. I'm just working out my plans for every single part of the next PC I want, I already have a Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series, and an nVidia 7600 GS I think or whatever, it's fine but not the best I know...But it's good for me...And as you said, The HD4870...Add that too :D I'm also thinking of a Skulltrail motherboard...

Anyway, I'm still listening to you people, I'm still taking your suggestions, I just want to experience the best :D

Thanks

Get the Asus Z7S, has 6 slots for ram, PCI express 2.0, only downside is you need a LGA771 bracket so you can use LGA775 heatsinks. Also from what I have read the Z7S can overclock higher.

I have read the specs and it's amazing...http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=82&l3=644&l4=0&model=2090&modelmenu=1

I'm impressed actually...I've never had a gaming PC in my life ever...Thanks alot for the help :D I appreciate it

EDIT: I was wondering, what is LGA771 bracket?

EDIT2: The ASUS Z7S is a WorkStation Motherboard :| Can you explain why you chose that?

that really isn't going to help you in gaming over any of the other boards listed. You'd just be wasting money.

This is really confusing as everyone is telling me something different.. :S

Can anyone explain everything?

This is really confusing as everyone is telling me something different.. :S

Can anyone explain everything?

That Asus board has 2 sockets and is meant for servers and workstations (such as rendering farms). It's not for gaming as it'll be a huge waste of money and power. What you want to get if you have no/high budget limits at all is the new Intel I7 quad and Evga's X58 motherboard. Like the guy up a few posts you'll want to get 3 of Nvidia's GTX280's with that or 2 of Ati's 4870x2 cards. This is all if you have no/very high budget remember. Just for the motherboard and CPU your looking at $650 :eek:

Well yeah...I need to know which motherboard is the best in performance and quality to get it :p So I thought I'd ask :|

And no Wizard, it's not a problem at all. I'm just working out my plans for every single part of the next PC I want, I already have a Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series, and an nVidia 7600 GS I think or whatever, it's fine but not the best I know...But it's good for me...And as you said, The HD4870...Add that too :D I'm also thinking of a Skulltrail motherboard...

Anyway, I'm still listening to you people, I'm still taking your suggestions, I just want to experience the best :D

Thanks

For gaming, ditch the sound budget (seriously ALC888 integrated sound? good stuff.) ditch the motherboard budget and get yourself a decent graphics card. P45 + integrated sound (again which is impressive) + a GTX 280 or HD4870 X2 will give you a better gaming experiance than the best motherboard and an awesome sound card mixed with a 7600GS :S

If you go with a server board you will be memory limited. The server boards use DDR2 which will be slower than DDR3. Personally I am going with the Asus RE2 with I7 Extreme and 6 or 12 GB of Corsair triple channel memory.
I really like dual cpu systems but for gaming it just doesn't cut it.

I am looking for the same board too
a223c6b3710f85df22e9377d6c4f7553.jpg
6c1da886822c67822bcf3679d04369fa.jpg
0e3a37aa85a14e359df74fa77eded3f6.jpg

SKULLTRAIL!

Not anymore.

"the best gaming motherboard"

cost isnt an issue? Go with the X58 board from evga. Asus hasnt made an earth shattering motherboard in a while and EVGA's comes with a lifetime warrenty.

It supports SLI and crossfire so two HD4870X2's is an option if you want.

You can do all that on the Rampage II Extreme. ASUS has a proven track record of motherboard manufacturing and EVGA is still new at the game. Granted their FTW boards have been excellent. But really warranty aside, I see nothing the EVGA X58 3x SLI can do that the Rampage II Extreme can't.

that really isn't going to help you in gaming over any of the other boards listed. You'd just be wasting money.

I agree completely.

If you go with a server board you will be memory limited. The server boards use DDR2 which will be slower than DDR3. Personally I am going with the Asus RE2 with I7 Extreme and 6 or 12 GB of Corsair triple channel memory.
I really like dual cpu systems but for gaming it just doesn't cut it.

I wouldn't say they don't cut it for gaming, but they are certainly not the best choice. Your points about memory limitations are all indeed valid.

Well aside from that. :D

dan, after your Asus 680i board died, which process was easier, the EVGA RMA or the Asus RMA?

That said, during my last post I seem to have fooled myself into believing X58 was another crazy Nvidia chipset (the SLI got me), but its not, its an intel chipset, which are almost always rock solid. So yeah, perhalps the Asus is a better choice.

You planning on getting an Intel or AMD?

For Intel, if your going for still going for LGA 775, either get a x48 board, I suggest the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6. Or if you plan on going for Core i7, then get the GA-X58-EXTREME.

For AMD, I suggest the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6, looks like a decent board.

...You're building a pc for gaming, want the best gaming motherboard... but you're using a 7600GS?

If you've got a small(er) budget, I'd go with an x48 board (I have the Rampage Formula), and an overclocked E8400. This will get you the best performance without dropping $1000 on graphics cards alone.

...must stay with nVidia for video cards...:cool:

the 7600 GS sucks, I know, I have one. I have problems with Oblivion even on a Core 2 3.11 Ghz and 4 gigs of ram.

If you are going to spend $$$ to get the 'best' motherboard, you need to get a decent video card too.

edit: in fact, I would say a video card is going to be more of a factor in gaming then a motherboard will be. As long as your motherboard had the slot and can run a decent CPU/RAM, that's all you need.

the difference between a junk motherboard and the 'best' will be less of a difference between a 7600 gs and going with a 260/280

I think I understand what you are getting at, because I am thinking somewhat likewise.

I am probably waiting a while to see the next batch of x58 motherboards. I am very excited about a supposed eVGA x58 FTW edition due out this month (not sure if that is fact or rumor).

The video card you have is dated, and you do need to upgrade it. But instead of going to 2x or 3x SLI, I am going to get a great mobo, high quality ram and just one card for now (budget reasons). Just make sure you do set a plan financially to upgrade that card as soon as may be. You will have caged a monster if you do not.

I would not chastise anyone for buying an x58 already, there are some great looking boards out there.

I myself am curious if this FTW materializes prior to Christmas, if it does, I am probably going to jump in feet first, hang waiting for thourough reviews. eVGA has earned some of my confidence. I had some OC'ing questions and their support was top-shelf. My friend had some driver issues w/ his particular mobo, and they upgraded the card for free...

The product is all that matters, but service does count for something. As I can see, no perimium board maker's product is vastly superior or inferior, but their service is somewhat unique in a positive way.

My suggestion for gaming, go with the current eVGA x58 for 299.99 or wait for the FTW version, likely to punish your wallet by 100 bucks more (once again, all internet heresay on the FTW)

Back