I need help with a new computer...

With kids and a wife, I don't know anymore what is the best hardware for my particular needs anymore and I no longer have an abundance of time to myself... amazing how being a dad and hubby can take away all your time (and decision-making ability)!

I'm a graphics and webdesigner, but I play games occasionally. I play GuildWars a lot more than anything else and it'll run on an integrated graphics card, so it doesn't need anything powerful (but looks prettier!) but I have HL2:ep1&2 as well as BioShock that I'd LIKE to play, but don't need to.

I'd like to spend less than $700 overall, preferably $500. I still need to get this approved by the financial committee (wife). I think this is very doable because I have a few things already. I used to be a system builder, so the assembly is not a problem, picking the components is for me.

Being a graphics designer, I have 2x 19" widescreen displays right now that i use, I have a third that I never unboxed that I'd like to use, but don't have to...

Overall, the most important thing, aside from the cost, is that it must be quiet. Sometimes when I'm doing a render that I need to leave overnight or something, I can't keep it on because she doesn't like the noise...

Here's my list of stuff:

OS
I've got plenty of 32-bit XP Pro's laying around, but I did manage a 64-bit copy. I'd REALLY like everything to be 64-bit capable along with the drivers, etc. I MAY want to put Vista on it in a year or so if it gets a bit less.... Vista.
It looks like I'm going to use XP Pro 32-bit

Case
I'd like it to be black and any lighting be blue. I'd really like it to be less than $100, but I know sometimes you need a good case to pull everything together... roominess is a good thing, cable management would be spiffy as well.

Power
I'm concerned whether or not this PSU will handle the video card, 2 HDD's, optical drive, misc USB devices, MBD, etc... Should I reconsider my video card?
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply
Other PSU's I'm considering

Motherboard
Socket AM2, integrated audio and 10/100 (I don't need gigabit or wifi). I'd like at least 6 usb ports I can use a hub if necessary, but would prefer not to... too many cables), a firewire would be great, but not necessary.

Processor
AMD dual core, 1 meg of cache, preferably not a 125 watt power monster... I'm currently favoring:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADA5600CZBOX - Retail

Processor Cooling
I'm assuming I need Arctic Cooler 5 and I won't use whatever comes with the fan/hs assuming a retail kit). I've seen some large heat sinks with fans, as stated above, it must be quiet.

RAM
XP Pro 32-bit only sees like 3.26 gigs of RAM, I don't know about 64-bit, but I think 4 gigs of RAM would be a good idea.

System Cooling
I don't mind buying a few fans, but as stated above, they must be quiet. Blue LED's FTW! I know the RC690 can use like 7 of them.

Video
This is possibly going to be one of the money areas.... I'd like to just have 1 twin head card (in the interest of power) if I'm only going to use the two displays, likely 512 megs or 256 is OK. If I can put my hands on a second card, it really doesn't need to powerful... I'm sure 8 megs will be more than enough, I'd use it for playing flash videos (lynda.com, etc.). I have no intention of playing Crysis, but it would be nice if it could play BioShock and HL2:1&2. I think I like this one:
SAPPHIRE 100212SR Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
This may consume too much power... I want to take advantage of the good price and futureproofing my system against having to change the video card in 1-2 years. Should I go with something lesser?

Audio
I'm not a big audio guy. I have pretty decent speakers and the integrated audio on a motherboard is just fine.

Storage
I already have a bunch of hard drives, I'm likely going to use 2x Seagate 320gig drives, the rest will be external.

Optical
I don't have any SATA DVD R/W+ - drives, so I suppose I'll need one of them.
Considering a 1/2way decent SATA DVD burner is 50+, I'll just stick with one of the brand new PATA DVD burners I still haven't opened yet.

HID
I already have plenty of mouses and keyboards.

I really appreciate all the help and I'll edit the components above once something sounds perfect. Thanks to all!

Here's a preliminary list, should be able to handle whatever you need it to. I know you asked for an AMD system, but Intel's current batch of CPUs are better and run cooler than the A64s, and price-wise they're pretty comparable. Also, the heatsink I listed comes with pre-applied high-quality thermal compound, so you won't have to worry about getting a tube of aftermarket paste in addition to the rest of the order.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz - $125
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - $100
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - $22
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2-800 A-DATA Vitesta - $43 ($28 after $15 MIR)
Video: Diamond ATI Radeon HD3850 256MB - $170
Optical: Sony 20X SATA DVD Burner - $28
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 with window - $45 ($30 after $15 MIR)
PSU: Corsair 550VX 550W - $100 ($85 after $15 MIR)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $633 ($588 after MIRs) plus shipping and tax if applicable.

Alternatively, you could opt for the Scythe Infinity heatsink and/or the Coolermaster RC-690 case. If you take both the final cost will be $686 ($656 after MIRs).

I saw a couple other system builds here and thought it appropriate. I'll claim newbish on this one and put the next one in the other forum then.

I know you asked for an AMD system, but Intel's current batch of CPUs are better and run cooler than the A64s, and price-wise they're pretty comparable.

I appreciate the reply.
Question: Wouldn't it be worth it to stick to the A64's as it's 64-bit and not 32-bit like the Intel chips? Is there truly an advantage to the 64 or not really? This is the main reason I was thinking AMD.

Intel has 64 bit support also, so there is very little reason to justify going AMD(unless you're a fanboy).

All current Intel chips are 64-bit capable. I suggest you stick with 32-bit XP though, there are numerous driver and application issues and no benefit except in programs specifically designed to take advantage of the 64-bit capability(of which there aren't many consumer ones). Vista has much better support, but there are still a few incompatibilities, and as above, you won't see a benefit outside of programs that are made to take advantage of it, so if you decide to upgrade in the future I still suggest you stick with the 32-bit version(note that a 32-bit serial number will work with the 64-bit version as well, so as long as you can 'get your hands on' a 64-bit install disc you can switch at any time). As for the AMD aspect, right now there really isn't any reason to go for an AMD-based system instead of an Intel one.

All current Intel chips are 64-bit capable. I suggest you stick with 32-bit XP though, there are numerous driver and application issues and no benefit except in programs specifically designed to take advantage of the 64-bit capability(of which there aren't many consumer ones). Vista has much better support, but there are still a few incompatibilities, and as above, you won't see a benefit outside of programs that are made to take advantage of it, so if you decide to upgrade in the future I still suggest you stick with the 32-bit version
Well I just bought Adobe CS3 Master Collection... I didn't look at the site or docs, but I'd hope it's 64-bit capable!.... I hope.... :confused:
(note that a 32-bit serial number will work with the 64-bit version as well, so as long as you can 'get your hands on' a 64-bit install disc you can switch at any time).
I have a generous MSDNa account from my college, so I have tons of MS software, but I appreciate the tip on the keys!
As for the AMD aspect, right now there really isn't any reason to go for an AMD-based system instead of an Intel one.
Interesting... I may go Intel then, I really appreciate the explanation!

I recommend going with Zero82z's build. It's pretty solid.

Back