I need help OCing i7 920 for streaming.

mEclipse

n00b
Need help overclocking. Going to be streaming on www.twitch.tv using Xsplit. Xsplit is extremely taxing on CPU resources, so I was hoping to eek out the last bit of performance that I can. Was wondering which CPU cooler I should get for my i7 920, and how to go about overclocking it since I'm new to OCing.

Noctua NH-D14 , if your case can fit it. Good luck on overclocking I have 930, 950 and a 960. Only the 930 will overclock over 3.8ghz with out too much voltage. What memory do you have and what is your motherboard. I just got an evga classified 3 e770 board, I am running the qpi at 200 and cpu multiplier x21.0 for 4.2ghz with the 930 watercooled.

Don't know much about it all that stuff, but I used CPU-Z and ill type out the details.

Motherboard:
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: TBGM01
Chipset: Intel X58
Southbridge: Intel 82801JR (ICH10R)
LPCIO: ITE IT8720

Memory:
Type: DDR3
Size: 12288 Mbytes
Channels: Triple
NB Frequency 2132.8 MHz

I'm sure some of these are irrelevant but like I said I'm not very good with this stuff, reply if there's something I'm missing here.

So I'd probably need a new board? If that's the case can anyone help me out with one? That's one thing I actually don't know anything about.

I have a couple EVGA Classified motherboards that I think I listed for sale :p Very good at overclocking :D

About your chip, depending on which stepping it is, the 920 was one of the best fixed core clock CPUs around for OCing, especially the "D: stepping ones. You manipulate the BCLK in the BIOS, or in software, depending on your board. Gateway's are NOT known to be good overclockers ... umm, exactly the opposite actually :(

Noctua's are good but ugly :eek:Thermaltake Frio OCK and Frio Extreme are as good or h better HSFs IMO. Or buy a used corsair or Thermaltake enclosed loop water coolers (even better and take up less space)

2 EVGA classifieds and I think a CPU cooler or two buried somewhere in this list. Core i7 980x too :D

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708702

Last edited:
Noctua NH D14 is the way to go. I've got mine OCed to 4.3ghz for 2 years now. don't be afraid to apply voltage. It won't even cough until 1.37-140. it's a sturdy rugged processor.

With the locked down motherboard, you still might be able to use a Windows based OC utility... might get you to 3ghz.

I would not buy a brand new X58 board at this point in time, if anything i would go used. Check the FS/FT Forums

Also, i'd recommend the CM Hyper 212 +/Evo , if you are looking for a cost effective heatsink.

Last edited:
Back