I need help finding the best Macbook for the money

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by Xelation, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Xelation

Xelation [H]Lite

My brother wants a Macbook, He can't make up his mind what he wants.....

First off, do you guys know any sites / companies that are selling Macbooks at a sale price?

He wants a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air...

2. illuminate

illuminate [H]ard|Gawd

First you would want to decide whether you want a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. That's a really broad category. Workhorse vs. Thin & light/not too powerful.

3. fattybear

fattybear Limp Gawd

When I bought my MBP, the cheapest place I found was Amazon and that was only because they didn't charge a sales tax in my state. I could get an educational discount buying direct from Apple, but they charged taxes so it actually turned out to be more expensive.

4. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

Apple has rules regarding what retailers are able to sell their stuff at. That's why pricing doesn't tend to vary much between resellers. The only money you really save vs. just buying from Apple is sales tax and potentially shipping, depending on where you buy from.

You can also risk eBay. I had two Mac purchases on eBay that both went smoothly. I still didn't save much but I got what I wanted.

5. Liver

Liver [H]ardness Supreme

buy it here on the forums

6. bufodr_T

bufodr_T [H]ardness Supreme

check out the apple.com refurb mac section. i picked up a current gen macbook pro with
    4GB, 320Gb. and 2.4ghz core 2 13.3 for 999 with free shipping.

7. Jeenyus5452

Jeenyus5452 Limp Gawd

8. point1

point1 n00b

buy it from the forums or buy one from craigslist. Make sure that what you purchase either has applecare or is eligible for apple care

9. TechFre@k

TechFre@k Limp Gawd

+1 Wish I would have known about that website last week...Just proves you learn somethng everyday.

10. 100inch

100inch Limp Gawd

13.3" MBA isnt that far away from 13.3" MBP proc wise and equal graphics with much faster hd. MBP is not too powerful proc wise and slower hd leads to more overall chokes. So saying one is a workhorse and one is not too powerful seems to be misleading to me.

11. silentcoercion

silentcoercion Limp Gawd

Plus the 13.3" MBA actually has a better screen - 1440x900, compared to 1280x800 on the same-sized MBP (though this probably means the next MBP refresh will bring screen upgrades)