I need a windows xp media disk...Laptop has a coa but we dont have a disk

tmaxxking1

Gawd
Can anyone make a copy of windows media for me

My sister in laws hdd took a dump

Me and my brother both have an xp disk but neither one of us has a media edition

She has a legit COA on the laptop

My brother picked up vista 32bit home premium for her but she doesn't like it

She never gave it a chance good thing my brother didn't bother to register it yet

I just got it for free :D

So it old them i would try to find someone on here to make me a copy of xp media for her

I'll pay for the disk and the shipping if anyone can help me out

Thanks in advance

The short answer is no.

But you can check other places...

Since its pre installed, your sis should have a backup copy when you she bought her laptop...

does'nt the laptop have a seperate partion that she can backup from?

EDIT price:

Thread might get deleted, but before it does you might be able to get it on eBay or what not.

Or if you happen to live near a Micro Center, they do it over there for $30 bucks since she has a legit COA.

does'nt the laptop have a seperate partion that she can backup from?

HDD is dead, and whit it probably the partition.

Try contacting the manufacturer of the laptop to get a repair/install disk. The COA is most likely for a OEM copy so you'd need to get an OEM disk as well.

Although technically not ILLEGAL it's still frowned upon on the forums to do as you ask... not sure why.

There are other methods of course to getting an OEM copy just PM me for details.

Yes its an OEM installed os

The laptop is a dell it was a gift from her mother for college

No one has a receipt or knows the purchase date

Her mother passed 6 months ago

The hard drive is toast no humming or clicks at all acts like its unplugged

Already tried it in an external 2.5 hdd case thinking maybe the board was done for

My brother picked up a hard drive and loaded vista premium on it since it has the media center

she cant deal with vista wouldn't even give it a chance

her loss my gain on that deal :D

Ive already checked ebay for a disk nothing listed other then a retail dick at $125.00 shipped

I guess I'll try to get a disk from dell since it still under warranty

I'm just not sure if they will consider her a second owner on the machine and give her a hard time about getting a disk

It wont activate.

These type of OEM COA Keys of XP will not activate, that is why the OS comes preinstalled and preactivated from the OEM and you just get a partition recovery type of restore.

More info here:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194

In the least, you will have to place a call to Microsoft and explain your situation and they may give you a new key that will activate.

I'm aware of the possibility he might have to call MS Not a problem

I Had to call MS for my sony before....my newegg membership went to use with this build

Monday my brother is calling dell to see what the deal is with getting a disk from them

This will be the first time xp media was activated since it was bought

The COA has never been used unless dell activated it ..

Thanks to everyone that has posted

The help is appreciated

It wont activate.

These type of OEM COA Keys of XP will not activate, that is why the OS comes preinstalled and preactivated from the OEM and you just get a partition recovery type of restore.

Generaly speaking yes the big oem keys are blocked for xp home and prob although I've seen a lot that still autoactivate.

As far as media center goes I've activated over 50 machines where I've had to load media center using my oem disks as the customer didn't have restore disks or I didn't want to deal with all of the preinstalled crap. Everytime media center has auto activated.

Dell should ship the op the cds, chances are they will ship them for free.

Also why did you pick up a hard drive if the system is under warranty? Make dell send you a drive with those disks.

My brother picked up a hard drive so his old lady can still do school work

He might have cookies from educational sites :D That he doesn't want her to see while sharing his machine

The drive is still covered by WD he already shipped it out

The hdd he picked up is larger so the replacement he will be getting back will go in the 2.5 external

My brother picked up a hard drive so his old lady can still do school work

He might have cookies from educational sites :D That he doesn't want her to see while sharing his machine

The drive is still covered by WD he already shipped it out

The hdd he picked up is larger so the replacement he will be getting back will go in the 2.5 external

Next time call the vendor(dell in this case). You would have prob had the drive the next day with a shipping label to return the dead one.

when i need a windows distro, i just download it... i know this isn't exactly kosher with everyone here, but when it comes down to it, i have the COAs and if i don't have the discs, I'm going to obtain them anyway i can. i currently have 3 xp home, 1 pro, 2 vista ult, and 1 vista home basic. not having a cd will not stop me from using my paid-for product, imho

as long as you get one that isnt hacked to hell, you should be fine. unless you know how to make a retail cd activate an oem key, i'd suggest that you download an oem version.

Downloading from a site isn't an option here

Thanks to all that have replied

My brother is calling dell tomorrow

Can a mod lock this thread

Thanks

when i need a windows distro, i just download it... i know this isn't exactly kosher with everyone here, but when it comes down to it, i have the COAs and if i don't have the discs, I'm going to obtain them anyway i can. i currently have 3 xp home, 1 pro, 2 vista ult, and 1 vista home basic. not having a cd will not stop me from using my paid-for product, imho

as long as you get one that isnt hacked to hell, you should be fine. unless you know how to make a retail cd activate an oem key, i'd suggest that you download an oem version.

And downloading a "distro" is where it crosses over into illegal territory. Doesn't matter what you believe, or think, or care, the fact remains that this type of admission crosses a line here at this forum and isn't allowed. I'm surprised this thread made it this far, actually. Guess the Mods are busy for the holidays or whatever... This forum is based on servers located in the US, hence the need to keep the discussions within the legal boundaries of the US legal system.

Downloading a "distro" that you are not legally entitled to own is illegal activity, period, and such discussions or admissions are pretty serious offenses here. But whatever...

Back