I need a STRONG G class Wireless Router.

Overspeed

Limp Gawd
I just got my hands on a DSM-300 Divx Connected player which connects to your TV and streams content wirelessly from your PC. Problem is my Dlink di624 is just not powerful enough to maintain a high strength signal to the box. I need to update it with a better model ... one with a much stronger signal and I'm looking for a recommendation. PC is upstairs and tv is downstairs directly below. The DSM doesn't support N class so it must be G. Basically I'm looking for the best of the best in the G class ... regardless of price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a separate note, I find the following "odd". When I connect my DSM to a tv in the same room as the router I have, it reports the signal strength is only 72% ... only 5 feet away from it. I wonder why this might be... neighbourhood wireless router interference? ... simply poor output from my current router? ... some other factor? Thoughts again appreciated.

doesn't support N class so it must be G.

This line is not true.
N devices work with G and B.
N devices still have superior range over old G devices even when working with G and B clients.

Prepares qeues for the bunch of "Get a wrt54g and slap it with DD-WRT firmware" answers.

You could also check out wlanparts.com, they have some 400mw routers for about ~$150. Never owned one so can't comment on performance etc.

You are not going to be able to get SOTS (standard off the shelf) that do any different as those have regulated power outputs...essentially they are all the same power ouput wise. What you could do is get a cisco 1231 series AP with external antenna leads and a yagi antenna (the pringles can). But that would probably be ugly as hell indoors and all kinds of overkill =)

3 Com 8760 Very solid, i have used them in a few deployments, might be over kill for what you want, but its been a solid AP for me.

You are not going to be able to get SOTS (standard off the shelf) that do any different as those have regulated power outputs...essentially they are all the same power ouput wise. What you could do is get a cisco 1231 series AP with external antenna leads and a yagi antenna (the pringles can). But that would probably be ugly as hell indoors and all kinds of overkill =)

Or you could buy a WRT54GL and also connect external antennas. And when it doesn't work you still have money left over to pay someone to run Cat5... and still have money left over.

Thank you for your suggestions. I found a WRT54G down at a local store but I'm not sure what revision it is. I will give the DD-WRT a try but it only works on certain revisions, Is there any way to tell without actually opening the box? Or ... I could go with a N class. I hear N class penetrates walls better and offers better range. My question is does it just send N singal farther and stronger or if set to mixed N/G will it send a G singal farther/stronger as well? I asked about N class at a local store and they said not to buy because i use 5.8Ghz cordless phones in my house, and that N class routers operate on a similar range and there could be interference problems. Any merrit to that?

This last point will be very helpful for me to know. I am setting up a wireless media centre. PC will stream multimedia over G class wireless signal. My question in regards to this is ... how fast does data travel at the G specification? I ask because I will mainly stream movies and I'm concered about file size. For example: lets say I have a 2hr movie and file size of it is 3GB. Will a G signal send 3GB within 2 hours. This would ne necessary to prevent stoppages in playback due to rebuffering. Better yet, how much data could travel across a G signal in 2 hours in ideal environment (100% strength, no network congestion)? Many thanx.

Thank you for your suggestions. I found a WRT54G down at a local store but I'm not sure what revision it is. I will give the DD-WRT a try but it only works on certain revisions, Is there any way to tell without actually opening the box? Or ... I could go with a N class. I hear N class penetrates walls better and offers better range. My question is does it just send N singal farther and stronger or if set to mixed N/G will it send a G singal farther/stronger as well? I asked about N class at a local store and they said not to buy because i use 5.8Ghz cordless phones in my house, and that N class routers operate on a similar range and there could be interference problems. Any merrit to that?

This last point will be very helpful for me to know. I am setting up a wireless media centre. PC will stream multimedia over G class wireless signal. My question in regards to this is ... how fast does data travel at the G specification? I ask because I will mainly stream movies and I'm concered about file size. For example: lets say I have a 2hr movie and file size of it is 3GB. Will a G signal send 3GB within 2 hours. This would ne necessary to prevent stoppages in playback due to rebuffering. Better yet, how much data could travel across a G signal in 2 hours in ideal environment (100% strength, no network congestion)? Many thanx.

Any WRT54G/GS in the store now is going to be one of the later revisions that support DDWRT micro only. My personal experience with N has been that it dosent really seem to penetrate walls any better, but if I leave the doors open, its better speed than my old WHR-G54-HP. You can always purchase external amplifiers/higher gain antennas for most any router if you find the signal is too weak. Just be careful because its easy to go over the legal limit.

5.8ghz phones wont interfere with N routers. Most sub $200 N routers dont work on the 5ghz band to begin with.

Wireless G will stream DVD quality stuff just fine. Its the 1080p HD stuff it cant really keep up with.

Hey all, wanted to restart this thread with an update. I have bought a WRT160N by Linksys. I can verify that the range and signal strength is better but I still seem to be loosing connection to my wireless media player. I am hoping that someone might be able to confirm or otherwise that this wireless router supports a version of DD-WRT. I thought I read somewhere that this router is supported with v24 rc-7? IF this router does indeed support DD-WRT I would be curious to know if the full version or only the micro will fit. Apparently this router has 4MB for flashing. I would also value any ideas on where I might find resources/guides to help me learn/get started using DD-WRT. Much appreciated.

Robert

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143655-page,1-c,homemediacenter/article.html

According to the review, the unit had issues playing streaming video. I don't think a new router is your solution.

Perhaps from the internet, but I don't use that aspect feature. I simply use the PC to TV server app, and I Keep getting lost connection, audio and/or video stoppages and I wonder if my wireless signal is just not adequate. Oddy it seems to work well late at night, but fails during daytime often... network congestion?!? I've tried switching to different channels.

Which bring me back to the original request, can the WRT160N run DD-WRT?

Thx

Perhaps from the internet, but I don't use that aspect feature. I simply use the PC to TV server app, and I Keep getting lost connection, audio and/or video stoppages and I wonder if my wireless signal is just not adequate. Oddy it seems to work well late at night, but fails during daytime often... network congestion?!? I've tried switching to different channels.

Thx

Wireless is never to be look upon as a replacement for LAN(cabled net)
Any thing form microwave ovens to sunspots to the next door WLAN to a door can impear preformance.
Did you check with eg. www.netsumbler.com to see if there is any interference?

1. Have you changed channels? 1, 6, or 11...don't bother in between (use NetStumbler as previously mentioned to see which channels are already in use).
  2. Consider moving your wireless router to a higher/more central location.
  3. Pick up a used mid/large business caliber wireless access point. The 3COM mentioned unit and the Cisco 1231 are fine candidates...but probably more than you want to spend. They do have great radios though.
  4. Pick up a dedicated inexpensive WAP that can run DD-WRT to ramp up your mw output and supports external antennas (many suggestions already here).
  5. Consider buying a wireless access point that can be used to bridge the connection if the internal wireless on the media appliances is teh suck.

No, not yet. It's listed here as being a work-in-progress. You might try posting on the forums over there to see if anyone's had any luck with beta releases or what-not.

I think you'd have better luck taking that model back and getting one that has external antennae and purchasing boosters. You could pick up a DIR-655 near the same price range and give it a try.

In the end though - if you want to reliably stream media, especially high bit-rate video, there's simply no real solution other than to run a wire to the spot. Obviously not something you want to hear but a hard reality you may just have to face. Wireless is great for browsing the internet from your couch or allowing-for instant cube farms but there are situations where it just won't cut it and this is one of them.

Back