I Love Seagate /S

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I_Love_Seagate.PNG

Geeezus man, that is a lot errors on the disk. What model seagate is it, and how old is the drive.

I wouldn't blame the hard disk first. Run CrystalDiskInfo and the Windows Memory Diagnostic. If CrystalDiskInfo shows UDMA CRC errors, change your SATA cable. Whatever the cause is, you need to backup whatever you can, because file system corruption like that is bad enough that you need to reformat and start over.

I'll have to check the model number.. but it is a 1TB 2.5" HDD that was made in 2013. It is from a laptop that I am working on for somebody.

The laptop would never finish booting into Windows so I hooked up the drive to an external SATA dock.

No matter how many times I run chkdsk, it always comes back with more errors. Total used space on that 850GB partition is about 75GB.

I especially love how it always says that there isn't enough space to replace the bad clusters.

The drive also has issues with even coming up all the time. Sometimes it just stops functioning all together.

The needed files have already been backed up.

The drive also already had 84k worth of sectors marked bad.

I had an Hitachi 2TB drive throw up errors like that and it wasn't even a year old. Sent it back for RMA and got refunded in a Visa Gift Card. Gave said card to my 11 year old, lol. No more Hitachi drives for me.

Seagate drives are normally built like tanks. I have a few 7200.10's and 11's still working.

as someone who sells HDDs, the newer Seagate drives are fine, but anything made between 2010 and 2016 is pretty much guaranteed to fail. I sold the ST500 500gb Barracuda drive that pretty much had a 100% failure rate over 2 years.

The backblaze numbers and class action lawsuits support this.

I have had bad drives from all manufacturers.
And now there are only 3 left.
I think they are equally good / bad.

Attachments

• 460px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufacturer_Consolidation.svg.png
    460px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufacturer_Consolidation.svg.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
I have had bad drives from all manufacturers.
And now there are only 3 left.
I think they are equally good / bad.

I've had far more Seagate drives die than any other drives. Most of my pile of dead drives at home are Seagate drives.

The IBM Deathstar drives are the only ones that were even worse than Seagate.

I'll have to check the model number.. but it is a 1TB 2.5" HDD that was made in 2013. It is from a laptop that I am working on for somebody.

A 5 year old Seagate? Talk about living on borrowed time :eek:

Most the desktop/laptop drives I've had fail over the past several years have been Seagate. Wish Dell didn't use so many of them.

I have an old IDE 8.4 GB IBM Deskstar drive. Still worked last time I connected it to a computer. Oldest drive I own that that still works. :p

I've got a couple IBM Travelstar drives still kicking around that work. One's in an IBM 600E that has a screen going red, but still works ( first laptop I ever had apart, built from scrap parts. Kept for nostalgia )

Ironically, I've had several 3.5" drives from Seagate, WD, various White labels and every one of those, is still going at least to a point they are still functional. The only drive I've had outright fail was a Maxtor that I got on recommendation from The Screen Savers. It was one of those super fast drives, so I spent a bit extra for less storage, and it lasted 1yr. I even have a 400gb IDE white label. I think MDT drive in my now shut down mining rig, and it grinds, it's painfully slow but it is still functioning and it's probably 10 years old

Seagate320.jpg

This is from about a year ago and I'm too lazy to do any updates but add eleven months to the total time. This is literally the only Seagate drive from around that time I had work for more than a couple years.

I had a seafuck 8tb do that recently. Most of the data was fine but some is missing.
After a 3tb was used for target practice, Seagate, never again.
In fact the only HDDs I've persnally had fail are Seagate because most of them are.. lottery really but some brands are better than others.
Didn't someone recently dump datacentre data showing Hitachi is best? Or did hitachi get bought out recently?

as someone who sells HDDs, the newer Seagate drives are fine, but anything made between 2010 and 2016 is pretty much guaranteed to fail. I sold the ST500 500gb Barracuda drive that pretty much had a 100% failure rate over 2 years.

The backblaze numbers and class action lawsuits support this.

I recently bought two 2TB seagates, within 2 weeks both of them were erroring out. I have switched to WD

I moved over to HGST drives because I was so tired of having Seagate drives fail. 30% of them failed during my time with them. They were various models as well. WD drives have been decent, with a few of them kicking around with only one failure so far.

Never again Seagate, I'd rather not play the lottery with my data.

Had a ridiculous number of barracuda ES drives fail and haven't touched seagate in years. I switched to HGST for a while, but after WD bought them I've moved to Toshiba.

I've had far more Seagate drives die than any other drives. Most of my pile of dead drives at home are Seagate drives.

I still have a 40GB Deathstar, it failed numerous times but I cant part with it lol.

I only buy HGST now because they are so reliable.
But it needs to be said that the 6TB NAS drives selling for around £150 are effing noisy!
They vibrate a lot and the seeks are loud.

My PC is practically silent and I've had to mount the drive on springy stuff to stop the droning noise.
I can tell instantly the drive is in use by the tick noises.
A bit sad because I have had to stop recommending lower priced HGST NAS drives for desktop use due to this.
The older 4TB NAS is really quiet in comparison.

Last edited:
Back