I love Eyefinity

Ludic

2[H]4U
Ummm... finally got my matching 3rd VP201s (S-IPS) 20" 4:3 panel, setup eyefinity with crossfireX... AMD, you rock. It's like falling in love with PC gaming all over again lol

Congrats! Been using Surround for a year now, wouldn't ever go back as it's just so useful to have three monitors. Wonder how this is going to work with Windows 8?

that-was-so-cool-story-bro-worthy.jpg

It'll wear off, and spoil you :( You won't be able to play any games on one monitor anymore. Whenever a new game comes out you have to wait a couple of days to see if it's compatible with eyefinity, and most likely download third party tools or edit config files. Then when the new patch comes out it's back to square one and you're waiting for that new tool...

It's awesome though, but can be frustrating.

Battlefield 3 will work with Eyefinity, and I've settled down where I don't need to buy every newest game out there. I've been playing the same games for months and enjoying them. I love how Dirt 3 works!

I used to have ZR24W's in eyefinity, but I eventually sold two of them to help pay for a ZR30W keeping one of them as a side monitor. I really like the triple monitor for gaming, when it works properly. However I had enough issues that it sometimes was a pain and when working with photoshop or Manga Studio, well I like working with the 30" much, much more.

Battlefield 3 will work with Eyefinity, and I've settled down where I don't need to buy every newest game out there. I've been playing the same games for months and enjoying them. I love how Dirt 3 works!

Yea, but BC2 did the same thing I warned about. It had eyefinity support, but an update broke that and caused the game to crash on super wide resolutions. The same thing could likely happen to BF3, and why should DICE care when 1% of the user base has 3 monitors.

I used to have ZR24W's in eyefinity, but I eventually sold two of them to help pay for a ZR30W keeping one of them as a side monitor. I really like the triple monitor for gaming, when it works properly. However I had enough issues that it sometimes was a pain and when working with photoshop or Manga Studio, well I like working with the 30" much, much more.

Yea, I figure my next monitor upgrade would be a much larger monitor. Just gotta wait a couple years for those prices to fall down lol.

hmmm...I frankly don't get the whole eyefinity thing. I will fully admit that I haven't had the chance do much gaming on an eyefinity setup. They had it on display at a local Frye's Electronics and I spent a few minutes on it. The first thing that came to mind was "damn I miss my 60" lcd". I don't think I can ever game on monitors again. I like to game laying on the couch with a massive screen and I can't see eyefinity changing that. And that doesn't even factor in all the technical issues, the need for uber-powered hardware, and decreased performance. What am I missing here (sincere question)?

I will say this...the day I can hook up 3 60" TVs side by side, I'll be all over it.

Um, you can hook 3x60" TV's side by side if you'd like. You just need to convert HDMI or DVI to displayport for at least one of the TVs. The major thing for me is immersion. In Dirt 3, I use the cockpit camera and it feels right, where as on one monitor, I have to use the front bumper camera and the cockpit camera sucks for me. For Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor, the peripheral view just makes it more enjoyable for me. I'm still trying to find a FOV setting for COD:BO that I like.

For Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor, the peripheral view just makes it more enjoyable for me.

Don't you need to be up close for the side monitors to provide true peripheral viewing, though? That's a deal breaker for me as I've become too accustomed to gaming while laying on the couch. Only thing I'm lacking is one of those hats with dual beer can holders & built in straws. :p

I liked eyefinity in the begining. I find more of a pita when it comes to games that don't support it. But when its working right its amazing. Hopefully windows 8 has better multi-monitor support.

I thoroughly enjoy my setup. But my presets for different monitor configurations constantly reset themselves, which makes me want to pull my hair out. But the actually eyefinity gaming is awesome.

welcome aboard. ...and as others have said, get ready to be spoiled for multi monitor gaming... :)

Yea, but BC2 did the same thing I warned about. It had eyefinity support, but an update broke that and caused the game to crash on super wide resolutions. The same thing could likely happen to BF3, and why should DICE care when 1% of the user base has 3 monitors.

AMD make sure it works.
its their technology.
and buying stuff and then to assume it wont work is kinda stupid.
eyefinity is technology that is highly useful and easy to implement, which for example physx and 3D isnt as easy nor useful.

I just love it also. :D

I am doing the same thing, I purchased a 30" monitor and will keep one of my 22" as a side monitor. I was using 3x Dell P2210H monitors in Eyefinity but so many games simply didn't work right. Even games that were stated as being Eyefinity compatible had menus and huds that were stretched, or way on the outside edges of the side monitors. When a game had the correct hud and menu positioning Eyefinity was a great experience. It was just too annoying for me to see that even the latest games had Eyefinity issues.

In my experience only 2 out of 10 games had true Eyefinity support with centred huds and menus. The rest of the games I used I ended up playing on the centre monitor only due to the afformentioned issues.

Don't you need to be up close for the side monitors to provide true peripheral viewing, though? That's a deal breaker for me as I've become too accustomed to gaming while laying on the couch. Only thing I'm lacking is one of those hats with dual beer can holders & built in straws. :p
I don't know for sure. I would imagine you'd need to be upright instead of laying down though lol.

AMD make sure it works.
its their technology.
and buying stuff and then to assume it wont work is kinda stupid.
eyefinity is technology that is highly useful and easy to implement, which for example physx and 3D isnt as easy nor useful.

I just love it also. :D

AMD doesn't do anything to make sure games work. Even advertised games on their list don't work well. For example Batman AA had items disappearing because with 3 monitors there were too much stuff on the screen.

Yea, I figure my next monitor upgrade would be a much larger monitor. Just gotta wait a couple years for those prices to fall down lol.

given that BF3 is designed from the ground up to be a PC game first unlike BC2 i think the multiscreen support will be a lot better.

BC2 runs just fine on my unlocked 6950 crossfire eyefinity system.

Yea well tons of people say that the latest BC2 patch (I think a couple months ago?) give eyefinity and surround users a CTD. They also broke 3D too I believe. I don't really play that game much anymore so I can't really comment on how it is for me.

Yea well tons of people say that the latest BC2 patch (I think a couple months ago?) give eyefinity and surround users a CTD. They also broke 3D too I believe. I don't really play that game much anymore so I can't really comment on how it is for me.

That is what I hear, but I just don't experience the issue.

hmmm...I frankly don't get the whole eyefinity thing. I will fully admit that I haven't had the chance do much gaming on an eyefinity setup. They had it on display at a local Frye's Electronics and I spent a few minutes on it. The first thing that came to mind was "damn I miss my 60" lcd". I don't think I can ever game on monitors again. I like to game laying on the couch with a massive screen and I can't see eyefinity changing that. And that doesn't even factor in all the technical issues, the need for uber-powered hardware, and decreased performance. What am I missing here (sincere question)?

I will say this...the day I can hook up 3 60" TVs side by side, I'll be all over it.

Uber-powered hardware? Please.

The horsepower for Eyefinity setups is at the GPU end - and you don't really need much even there. The minimum GPU for Eyefinity is in the HD5xxx series, and not very far up in that series (HD5750 officially; however, as little as HD5670 has been shown to work). You don't need CrossFire (let alone TriFire) - you just need one. (Granted - CrossFire/TriFire *will* let you dial up the resolution and LOD; however, that is true even without Eyefinity.)

The real issue with Eyefinity is that it prefers three matched displays, and even if you go with the minimum preferred display size (23"), that is *still* a lot of space that goes by the wayside (on/above the desk).

The other issue with Eyefinity is (correctly) game support. Support in driving games and flight sims is relatively common (DiRT 2 and 3 both support it, as does moldy-oldie Burnout Paradise); however, you have a valid point about there being little support outside of that. (However, wasn't the same true with OpenGL originally?)

Uber-powered hardware? Please.

The horsepower for Eyefinity setups is at the GPU end - and you don't really need much even there. The minimum GPU for Eyefinity is in the HD5xxx series, and not very far up in that series (HD5750 officially; however, as little as HD5670 has been shown to work). You don't need CrossFire (let alone TriFire) - you just need one. (Granted - CrossFire/TriFire *will* let you dial up the resolution and LOD; however, that is true even without Eyefinity.)

The real issue with Eyefinity is that it prefers three matched displays, and even if you go with the minimum preferred display size (23"), that is *still* a lot of space that goes by the wayside (on/above the desk).

The other issue with Eyefinity is (correctly) game support. Support in driving games and flight sims is relatively common (DiRT 2 and 3 both support it, as does moldy-oldie Burnout Paradise); however, you have a valid point about there being little support outside of that. (However, wasn't the same true with OpenGL originally?)
Unless you enjoy low detail slideshows, a 5750 will not cut it at 5760x1200 on recentish titles.

Ps nice necro, son.
Many titles, including most good ones, have support or can be modded to work.

Last edited:
I love my Eyefinity. I've had it about 17 months now and will never go back to one monitor ever again!

img1924s.jpg

By elmnator at 2011-07-23

Na, have you ever noticed that when your playing your peripheral vision narrows a bit cause your focusing pretty intensely on the game? Even though the distances and wrap around arent exactly the same, the narrowing peripheral vision brings everything together as the side monitors turn into peripheral. Been many a time that ive caught some movement out the corner of my eye to save my ass from a knifing.

i had trouble playing BC2 @ 1920x1200x3 with a 5870e6 on high wiht HBAO off.

The fps was unacceptable for multiplayer.

I like my eyefinity setup, but i'd like it a whole lot more if v-sync worked in crossfire.

Eyefinity is great but it is a shame that it still does not support heterogeneous resolutions setup such as 1200*1600 + 2560*1600 + 1200*1600.

Last edited:
eyefinity isnt really that cool. I got a killer deal on mine and im happy with it... but if i paid full price for the whole setup i would have been pretty upset/disappointed. The lack of game support kills it, and the games that it does "support" i have to lookup which files to edit to make things look right.... kinda annoying

Just about every game I've played including mass effect 1 support eyefinity, other then a couple of issues with cs 1.6 and the original day of defeat it all works fine out of the box so to speak. I'm enjoying my triple u2311h's a lot, I too got them for a really good deal ($180 all in each BNIB) and think it's worth every penny, I recommend anyone who find that the bezels are too thick to take the case of the monitor's I will be doing that on mine next week and will post a pic comparing the two.

Unless you enjoy low detail slideshows, a 5750 will not cut it at 5760x1200 on recentish titles.

Ps nice necro, son.
Many titles, including most good ones, have support or can be modded to work.

In other words you are talking about top-end resolution *and* top-end LOD on all three displays. That's not a GPU issue per se, but more a CPU *and* GPU issue; in fact, with recent titles, you'll have that issue with but one display and pretty much any non-midrange-at-least GPU. However, by lowering both resolution and LOD, you can Eyefinity with just one GPU.

Some titles (I mentioned BP for a reason!) don't require that much in the way of GPU for Eyefinity (HD5670, or any HD57xx/67xx, is enough, even at 5760x1080).

Still, the desktop real-estate needs (and my budget) preclude Eyefinity for me personally..

Not sure how you're managing to get it working since the bug effects both eyefinity and surround setups, both camps have been bitching about it and dice has yet to shift their lazy fucking asses to get it fixed.

Ive seen plenty of threads on the issue and it occured when an update for bc:nam was issued, apparently it broke bc2 eyefinity but supposodly nam isnt affected. Its been an issue now for nearly 8 months and dice hasnt done shit to rectify it. The same bug occurs on the multiplayer of that turd 2010 moh.

Back