I have in my possession....history :)

Man, I remember I wanted the Voodoo 3 2000 i think (purple box), but for some reason, it didn't work with my motherboard.

So I settled for a voodoo 2 12 mb PCI :). My 2d accelerator was the SiS 6536 onboard crap

man that thing probably runs diablo 2 in glide better than any card could run it in direct 3d :).

Hmmm, get a mobo with 20 PCI slots and somehow get some connectors, 10x SLI! too bad it probably wouldn't work :)

id like to see a mobo with 20 PCI slots hadle 20 cards ( better yet id like to see a mobo with 20 PCI slots ;) ) ...cause remember the more you got on your PCI bus the slow it is...so..i really dont know how fast your gaming would be...fast..or slow.. :rolleyes: :confused:

My brother has a old commodore 64 in a briefcase sized setup...has a built in screen thats like 3 inches wide and tall. All i know is its early 80's and i've never seen another like it....
Will go check its info plate when i get home form work to see when it was made....

Umm, this wouldn't happen to be a valid CC # any more would it?
It was in the scanned reciept.

cc.jpg

If it is, I would change it :D

LordBritish said:
Umm, this wouldn't happen to be a valid CC # any more would it?
It was in the scanned reciept.

cc.jpg

If it is, I would change it :D
i loled.. cool cards guys :)

ah thanks....it's like a dinosaur tho. wish i had kept all the computers i had over the years.

Mushroom Prince said:
What was so great about voodoo ?
Nothing really. Poor support of new features, blurry "post-filter" to make up for lack of 32-bit color (pre-VSA-100 chips) and hadn't been the leader since V2 SLI. They never even had a decent OpenGL driver. The Voodoo3 2000 was the last 3dfx card I owned.

Part of it was brand loyalty (childishness) and in older games the support of GLide gave it a performance edge over standard APIs like OpenGL and D3D.

I'm glad that their bogus multi-texturing patent lawsuit helped drive them out of business. That and the fact that even a lowly GF2MX was stomping the Voodoo4 was kind of amusing. :D

well we all know that..but its great to think about the old days and how fun it was..and how the history repeats itself...no need to crap this thread

pxc said:
Nothing really. Poor support of new features, blurry "post-filter" to make up for lack of 32-bit color (pre-VSA-100 chips) and hadn't been the leader since V2 SLI. They never even had a decent OpenGL driver. The Voodoo3 2000 was the last 3dfx card I owned.

Part of it was brand loyalty (childishness) and in older games the support of GLide gave it a performance edge over standard APIs like OpenGL and D3D.

I'm glad that their bogus multi-texturing patent lawsuit helped drive them out of business. That and the fact that even a lowly GF2MX was stomping the Voodoo4 was kind of amusing. :D

:rolleyes: . You must perpetually rotate one direction, being so one-sided. Looks like you spent more time reading forum flames then gaming back then. :p 3dfx provided the most support for games and to their gamers (3dfx gamer website), the 22-bit filter was great and a good example of technology smarts since their 32-bit wasn't ready (and IMHO didn't need to be e.g. DX9 cards when no DX9 games werent out), and the V3 not only held its own but dominated the competition in dare I say the majority of the benchmarks. In fact, I remember being able to look at a machine and could tell if it was a V3 or a TNT2. The TNT2s just didnt look as good. To me the 22bit filter was better then the 32bit look. You get speed and it looks just fine, and I'm no zealot.

If you're glad they got driven out of business then you're a fool. They not only started 3D innovation, they kept it alive until bad business decisions put them down. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, any company can go under because of bad decisions at the board level. And the GF2MX/V4 commend is dumb because there is a generation gap and the company was disintegrating at the time. Come on, give props where props are due.

A few months ago, I sold all my 3dfx card over on the FS forum. I had nearly every high end card from the Rush up to the 5500's.

I still however have my Diamond Edge 3D 2120 PCI. It had the first nVidia chipset, the NV1. We are talking pre-TNT. What makes it strange is that it also handled network, sound, video, and had a daughter card to do modem stuff.

I'll take a pic when I get off work.

As for older stuff, I don't really want to go into my collection of ISA and EISA cards. Those things were as big as present day motherboards.

OldPueblo said:
Speaking of one-sided. :rolleyes: The point is that 3dfx is remembered far better than the horribly run company that it was.

"22-bit" was ugly with the post filter. 32-bit wasn't exclusive to DX9, plenty of OpenGL and even way back to DX7 games were 32-bit. The V3 was competitive with the TNT2 Ultra and too bad 3dfx was stuck there while the rest of the 3D world was into real AGP (not PCI-66 mode like the V3), hardware T&L (a place 3dfx never got to), full OpenGL support, etc.

3dfx was not the first maker of consumer 3D chips or cards. What they were was the first high performance at a "reasonable" price ($300 for a Voodoo1 4MB). That they clung to GLide and had poor OpenGL support actually held back the industry, not helped it. Plus with their stupid moves like buying STB (which was the number one supplier of nvidia cards to OEMs at the time, and nvidia's biggest customer), suing nvidia for the multi-texturing patent (the lawsuit of 3dfx's doom... sounds like Rambus), clinging to a dead API and never/delayed embracing of modern features was a recipe for disaster.

And like I mentioned, I did have several 3dfx cards: Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo2 SLI and a couple of Voodoo3 cards. They had some advantages and many disadvantages compared to the competition. The Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 were a joke.

Speaking of one-sided. :rolleyes: The point is that 3dfx is remembered far better than the horribly run company that it was.

From what I understand there were two sides to 3dfx, the technology/engineers/game loving side and the dumb business decision side that mostly showed its face near the end (I count the purchase of STB as the beginning of that).

"22-bit" was ugly with the post filter.

The ugly part is an opinion and one that happens to not be felt by everyone. It was close enough to 32bit for me, though at the time I really didn't care about 32bit, and I could keep some performance. I remember all the TNTx fools "Look at me I can run in 32-bit in one game at 10fps!" while the rest of us just kept gaming and having fun. Keep in mind I'm talking about a mentality here, not numbers, and the importance of 32bit obviously changed right about when 3dfx started going downhill and games began coming out that supported 32bit.

32-bit wasn't exclusive to DX9, plenty of OpenGL and even way back to DX7 games were 32-bit.

I was comparing the whole 32bit thing when it arrived to the DX9 cards when they arrived. Yippee, we have DX9 support but no games taking advantage of it. 32bit really hit at the end of the V3 lifecycle in my mind, when the V5 should have come out.

The V3 was competitive with the TNT2 Ultra and too bad 3dfx was stuck there while the rest of the 3D world was into real AGP (not PCI-66 mode like the V3), hardware T&L (a place 3dfx never got to), full OpenGL support, etc.

The rest of the world being who? ATI, the guy down there somewhere (at the time)? Nobody cared except the TNTx guys with their bullet-point marketing arguments. If anything, it was a tribute to their technology to be able to fully compete and even dominate in many benchmarks using "inferior technology." I stick to my assessment that they were "efficient" and it showed with the great pricing they set the cards at. No reason to go 32-bit if no games support it yet, no reason to change texture management since no games utilized it, etc. They always intended their next product to take care of that, and thats when they were starting to fall down.

3dfx was not the first maker of consumer 3D chips or cards. What they were was the first high performance at a "reasonable" price ($300 for a Voodoo1 4MB). That they clung to GLide and had poor OpenGL support actually held back the industry, not helped it. Plus with their stupid moves like buying STB (which was the number one supplier of nvidia cards to OEMs at the time, and nvidia's biggest customer), suing nvidia for the multi-texturing patent (the lawsuit of 3dfx's doom... sounds like Rambus), clinging to a dead API and never/delayed embracing of modern features was a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the obvious info. :p However the whole glide vs opengl thing, it was a strength of theirs so why not continue to use it. Its not like they didn't want to a good opengl wrapper and its not like their minigl wasn't cutting it. Maybe when Q3 first hit, but I remember playing Q3 just fine. STB buy as stated was probably a big mistake, but more on the business side and who knows maybe things could have turned out differently and the STB thing couldve been a great move if other things had worked out.

And like I mentioned, I did have several 3dfx cards: Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo2 SLI and a couple of Voodoo3 cards. They had some advantages and many disadvantages compared to the competition. The Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 were a joke.

If I remember correctly, the majority of the disadvantages were on paper. "Oh no, the V3 can't do this so next year when it hits you'll be in trouble!" like any gamer isn't looking to rotate their card out after a year. I can tell you people aren't wanting to keep their TNTx cards for that long either, regardless of the bullet-point marketing specs. And I might agree with you that they V4/5 were a joke, but I think it was more like a last ditch effort. The product they really wanted to ship still just wasn't done yet.

I stick to my opinion that the V3 had a great lifecycle and that 3dfx only began to suck when they missed their post-V3 product cycle launch. To me all game cards should be modeled after the V3 concept. They had different performance levels for different prices, didn't launch with wasted technology, though they were just fine out of the box they efficiently had every ounce of performance squeezed via driver updates over time, they had the best compatiblity due to Glide support and a great driver team, and you could overclock the snot out of them. The V3 lifecycle to me is great 3D accelerator history blemished only by those that want to remember dates/gaming priorites wrong. Am I one-sided? I don't think so, I had a whole computer lab full of TNT2s we had regular LAN parties at. Did I love 3dfx and see them as a company by the gamer for the gamer (at least at the lower levels) ? Yes. :D

My boss is still using the P200MMX system with an Intergraph Voodoo Rush I sold him a few years ago. :D

jmroberts70 said:
Here's my baby. Number9 Imagine 128 I think I still have about 3 of these bad boys left. They actually have a jumper on them to tell the computer which one to boot from first when running dual cards! I had to use these as I was running in WindowsNT so I didn't have the multiple monitor ability that Win98 even had (plus, the apps I was working in didn't run outside of NT). These sucked for gaming but they sure were workhorses!

I have to admit, I was pretty excited when I got my hands on Win2K for the first time. I could finally run NT apps on muliple monitors, with different video cards, at different resolutions and refresh rates. That changed everything for me. I no longer neede matching monitors and cards.

I have one of those running in my dual PII 266 server.

I am still running my voodoo3 and and old ati card in sli mode in my ICS box. p233 power. Been running pretty much 24/7 for 6+ years?

Just for clarification, are you claiming to run a voodoo3 and an old ATI card together, in SLI mode? Am I the only one who caught this?

andocser said:
Just for clarification, are you claiming to run a voodoo3 and an old ATI card together, in SLI mode? Am I the only one who caught this?
i know i was wondering that as well...please clarify...

andocser said:

Surely he means Voodoo2...

Some of my "old" stuff, among itf 3 5500's a geforce 2 gts 32mb and a voodoo 3 3000agp

PICTAR

Shapeshifter said:
I have one of these.
shapeshifter-canopus_pure3d_lx.jpg

Still with orginal box, manual, pass through cable, driver cd, demo cd.

And canopus case badge.

and of couarse in perfect condition and working order. :D

I had that, I was the envy of everyone on my block when I installed that and started up quake (that would be quake 1, btw). I could just stare at the graphics drooling it was so fine.

DthInd said:
I had that, I was the envy of everyone on my block when I installed that and started up quake (that would be quake 1, btw). I could just stare at the graphics drooling it was so fine.
totally..how much was it then?

My 6MB Intergraph Voodoo Rush card...

Voodoo%20Intense%203d.jpg

...cost me about $230 if I remember right (Best Buy). I don't care what anyone says, I beat Quake, HL and Unreal on that card without a problem!

Back