I have a Netgear router, how can I make it into a switch?

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
Ok, so I have this old Netgear RP114 Router. The last time it was used was to get a computer and two XBOX consoles on the internet, so it works.

Right now my appartment network looks like this:

D-Link wireless router
1 - xbox 360
2 - xbox
3 - roomates computer
4 - my computer
+ wireless

is there any way I can hook up the RP 114 to the cable that goes to my room. And then connect two computers in my room to it. So that way I can get internet on both my laptop and my desktop.

any thoughts ... suggestion ... ideas?

You need to disable DHCP on the router and it will work as a switch. You will continue to get your addresses through the wireless router.

You need to disable DHCP on the router and it will work as a switch. You will continue to get your addresses through the wireless router.

See thats the thing. I cannot get to the Netgear router.

I mean I go to http://192.168.0.1/ and it just times out.

Funny thing is that I can transfer files from my two computers over the very router.

I guess I'll try it again. Yell at it some more. And then try again.

i would hook up directly to the netgear...isolate it..ie the computer and the router...change the routers ip address. If im correct d-links use the 192.168.0.1 ip address...at least mine does....if the d-link does use the same ip, then you will have an issue connecting to the netgear

i would hook up directly to the netgear...isolate it..ie the computer and the router...change the routers ip address. If im correct d-links use the 192.168.0.1 ip address...at least mine does....if the d-link does use the same ip, then you will have an issue connecting to the netgear

I cna dissable the DHCP

however if i try to change the ip of the router, the page just loads forever ... and i have to reset the modem :|

i tried 192.169.0.1 .... ummm what should i try?

i tried it
and it just hangs at the IP setup screen ... argh!

should i try to change the dlink router's ip instead ?

Have you reset the router via the little button on the back of the unit?

reset it then plug the computer into the LAN port and nothing into the WAN (modem) port.
"however if i try to change the ip of the router, the page just loads forever ... and i have to reset the modem :|"
- nothing should be in the modem/wan port when your configuring it

open command line
type ipconfig
check for "default gateway"
This will be the ip of your router. If you are just typing in the wrong ip that should help. Otherwise try the hard reset as the guy above me mentioned.

Have you reset the router via the little button on the back of the unit?

reset it then plug the computer into the LAN port and nothing into the WAN (modem) port.
"however if i try to change the ip of the router, the page just loads forever ... and i have to reset the modem :|"
- nothing should be in the modem/wan port when your configuring it

every time i tried to change the IP address and could not log into the router I had to reset it the hard way

I did as you said above ... it still hangs

open command line
type ipconfig
check for "default gateway"
This will be the ip of your router. If you are just typing in the wrong ip that should help. Otherwise try the hard reset as the guy above me mentioned.

i did just that after i changed the ip of the netgear router ... and the page nloaded and timed out after 5 min

Here is how my netgear router settings look right now.

To clerify:
I can see files on the two computers connected to it
I cannot surf the web from the two computers

netgear.jpg

every time i tried to change the IP address and could not log into the router I had to reset it the hard way

I did as you said above ... it still hangs

Once you change the router's IP address, you are trying to connect to the new one right. ex if you connect to it at 192.168.0.1 and change it to be 192.168.0.2, you will need to go to 192.168.0.2 to connect to it again.

Otherwise... :shrug:

If dhcp is off make sure the router is hooked up to your wireless router (or whatever you are using for dhcp). That might be the issue if you can't get net access.

Nothing else should be connected to the router, besides your PC, no modem, no other PC's

reset it to defaults using the button on the back, then make sure your PC is set for DHCP, you should get an IP from the router and also a default gateway and dns server

you should be able to connect to the gateway IP, which should be the same as the dns server and dhcp server IP your PC gets.

Just sign in and then turn off DHCP

plug the cable from the other router (DLink one) into one of the 4 LAN ports on the Netgear, then plug your 2 PC's into one of the other 3 LAN ports.
Nothing should go into the WAN port.

You should also set the router's IP to be something on the same subnet as your main router, but either reserved or outside the normal (main router) DHCP assignment range so that it doesn't conflict. This way you should still be able to get to its config page once it's "just a switch".

Taking "forever" when you change the IP of the router is normal behaviour btw -- what's happening is that your browser session is on the old IP while the router has switched to a new one -- you should change your URL accordingly and re-connect once it's set. (Not sure if this is stating the obvious and you're having a different problem..)

Failing to to reconnect after disabling DHCP is also "normal" -- then you need to either manually set your IP or chain it back to the full network and get DHCP that way.

Yeah this is impossible

I should just get a switch since I added another computer to my room, and I'm having to steal internet from two open wireless connections with the laptop and have my desktop connected to my own internet. File sharring is timely!

Anyway, I guess I'll go figure how to get a switch ... :|

Back