I have a big problem and not sure what is up with my network connection

sparks

2[H]4U
I have win 7 64 bit on an asus p7p55D motherboard.
Connected to a belkin router with tomato firmware update then to a speedstream 5100 dsl modem and at&t dsl service.
For years this has worked fine, I updated to the new motherboard and win 7 in January and it worked.
But for the last 3 months this has started and getting worse.
I type in www.google.com and its looking up google most of the time it times out.
Try again....maybe 2-3 times and its connecting to google and half the time it times out connecting to google.

Either looking up or connecting its like nothing is happening for a while then it finally works.
I thought of putting the modem into bridge mode would this help?

I don't know what to try, anyone got any ideas?

Computer, I need to try another one at the same time and see if they both see the same slowness.
Router, I can change out to a linksys and see if that helps.
I don't have another modem to try, wish I did since I really feel its that or the dsl service.

You could try using OpenDNS's DNS servers to make sure it's not a DNS issue. www.opendns.com

Try the Line Quality Test over at www.DSLReports.com to pin down where the packet loss is. Make sure your modem or router is set to respond to ping. http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

And yes, if you can run bridged mode, it's the best way so you are not doing double NAT and all that.

Will do this when I get home.

I thought about dns on the looking up google
but I also fail to connect to google as well,,,could this also be something to do with dns?
I get the feeling that everything is running in slo motion.
Looking up and connecting...DL on the 6mb service is 560KB and solid on a big dl. so its not bad (miss my 18mb 2.2MB second dl's lol)

does OpenDNS require any software to be installed?

question on the bridged mode.
Do I put dns servers in the router on on the pc's ?

Will do this when I get home.

does OpenDNS require any software to be installed?

question on the bridged mode.
Do I put dns servers in the router on on the pc's ?

Nope, OpenDNS doesn't need any software.

You can put it in the PC if you like, or you put it in the router and set all the PC's to obtain the DNS from the gateway (default setting) and then all the PC's will be on OpenDNS.

thanks big time just changing to the opendns made a vast improvement.
Next is to set this up as a bridge.

thanks big time just changing to the opendns made a vast improvement.
Next is to set this up as a bridge.

If you are going to stick with OpenDNS, take a look at all they offer.

You can set up your network to have filtered DNS services ranging from simply keeping someone from accidently surfing to malware infected domains, to filtering pron and other things if you have young family members.

The free account offers quite a bit.

I had some people tell me that this started when AT&T went with u-verse.
They said that the dns was something to do with mail filtering at first then other things they were trying etc...basically you use their dns and it then is bounced back to their dns servers and its a mess...they said it would be fixed in Dec 09 and still nothing has been fixed. They are blaming it on 2-wire.

I got a reply from this question from AT&T.
Do you have a router, if so remove it.
Have I used their install CD?
bla bla bla
after about 10 lines if all else fails format and reinstall ROFL

yep it can't be their fault and they don't have the money to fix it.
they average 1 billion a month in profits so they sure can't affort it.

Back