I have 500 Need Opinoins for Build

brahim

Limp Gawd
K guys im buidling a computer for a friend and and he'll have 500 flat !

I need sugstions for

CpU
Mootherboard
Ram
Graphic Card
Psu
Case

Basically just a whole computer. I know i can get a better build with intel but i think amd will get me the best parts for 500 flat ! Suggstions will be much appericated !

500 flat? What's that? Did you mean dollars?

Also it would help if you told us what your friend is planning to do with this new PC. Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc.

What happened to those cheap AMD builds you were posting a month or so ago?

I was going to post a list but I didn't know whether this was gonna be a gaming rig or a general work rig.

Oh I should ask, does the $500 include tax and shipping? If so, where will these parts be shipped to?

hehe, sorry... brahim was posting some cheap AMD builds before, too. :p

hehe, sorry... brahim was posting some cheap AMD builds before, too. :p

He wants a gaming Rig. Yes i was buying and selling computers on craigs list for a while untill i saved up enough to buy my build. But i would just like to see what you guys would have in mind for 500 not including shipping and no hard drive. He wants to keep his 80 G 2mg cache hard drive lol. Anyways opinions would be nice thanks guys

Is that hard drive SATA or PATA? And please answer my question about the budget

Well at least you're trying. But two things you should know: Make sure that PSU is of good quality as in who's the actual manufacturer of the PSU and if there are any proper reviews of it. And by proper review, I mean the review uses a proper load tester, proper test methodology, ripple charts, and efficiency figures. Here are some websites that does that:

www.jonnyguru.com
www.hardocp.com
www.anandtech.com
www.hardwarecanucks.com

And second, the 8600GTS is simply not a good choice now. The cheaper x1950 Pro outperforms the 8600GTS. For $30 more, you can get an HD 3850 that can far outperforms that 8600GTS and x1950Pro.

I'll wait until Brahim answers my questions before posting a build list.

Damn. Thats what I thought.

That's a problem. Most mobos these days come with only one IDE port. It's generally not recommended to have the hard drive and CD drive on the same cable due to performance decreases. So to offset that problem, I'm going to include an SATA DVD burner.

Base Build:
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $50
Sapphire 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $135
LITE-ON LH-20A1S 20X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $29
Corsair 450VX 450W PSU - $70
Cooler Master Centurion 534 ATX Case - $40
----
Total $324

Intel:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 CPU - $79
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 Motherboard - $86
--
Total: $165 Plus tax and shipping

AMD:
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ CPU - $85
Biostar TF560+ Nvidia nForce 560 Motherboard - $80
-----
Total: $165 Plus tax and shipping

Total for either build alltogether: $489 Plus tax and shipping.

The AMD build will win at stock speeds. However, with just the stock HSF and a minor OC, the Intel build will beat that AMD build hands down. Up to you now.

OH and I went with the Corsair PSU for more headroom for future upgrades.

Back