I hate you, Newegg.

Amazon accepted a return of a $500 electric lawn mower from me after their 30-day policy (due to the manufacturer giving me a hard time) and didn't cost me anything to have it shipped back to them. They also accepted my return of a Corsair 800D (due to a dent among other things) and covered shipping as well. Big box items that would cost me an arm and a leg to ship back and I received a full refund. At this point Amazon is one of my preferred places to shop, just from that. Then they have deals like those Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vs for $99.99 ;)

1. People in this thread use that criteria too, except they have to consider taxes because they aren't as lucky as you to be born somewhere else.

2. The OP just gave an example of a major place that wouldn't return his product. Plus, Newegg always charges the 15% restock fee.

So what the heck are you arguing? Or are you just ranting?

The OP didnt call. Ill say it again, if you have a problem, call or use live chat. The automated responce doesnt know how to tell when to charge the 15% and when not to.
They arent going to restock a defective item. There for, if its defective, they will not charge the fee. They will also give you a UPS shipping lable to ship the item back to them at no charge. Thats pretty much the standard for everywhere.

Only time you have to pay to return is when you order the wrong item, dont want it anymore, or just want a refund.

As for Amazon, calling for order status or returns is fine, but for account support, you just cant get it. Unless something changed in the last 6 months. And everytime Ive called, it went to whatever country they outsource to for support, as none of them spoke english well at all.

so im the only guy in the whole US who got problems with amazon. Ok. Then i guess im the only guy in the whole US who got no problems with the rotten egg :rolleyes:
come on guys the only thing your complaining about the whole time is that you have to pay taxes in CA. Well bad luck for you . Funny is that nobody ever post a thread "i hate microcenter and frys because they charge sales tax".:rolleyes:
oh well whatever , im done with this thread.
Threads in [H] are not what they used to be either. :rolleyes:

It's not sales tax for me. Newegg just isn't what it used to be.

Raising prices, price gouging, crappier shipping with higher shipping fees, etc... They used to have great policies now it's like any other retailer. I don't mind buying stuff from the egg but I'm not shopping there exclusively anymore.

The OP didnt call. Ill say it again, if you have a problem, call or use live chat. The automated responce doesnt know how to tell when to charge the 15% and when not to.
They arent going to restock a defective item. There for, if its defective, they will not charge the fee. They will also give you a UPS shipping lable to ship the item back to them at no charge. Thats pretty much the standard for everywhere.

Only time you have to pay to return is when you order the wrong item, dont want it anymore, or just want a refund.

As for Amazon, calling for order status or returns is fine, but for account support, you just cant get it. Unless something changed in the last 6 months. And everytime Ive called, it went to whatever country they outsource to for support, as none of them spoke english well at all.
I must admit the last time I did a return to newegg was over a year ago and for them to pay for shipping and waive the restocking fee required escalation to a supervisor. That was only after I provided pictures of the poor packaging that caused a DOA (physical broken part). That was all done via phone and took several days of explaining my case. If it wasn't for the pictures I took and escalation, I would have paid according to the reps and policy.

The only place I know of that will provide you free pre-paid shipping for defective items by default is Amazon. So I would argue that the retailer paying for return shipping for defective items is not the norm and newegg aligns with this standard (you pay for shipping for defective items back to newegg according to policy).
I would consider yourself lucky if you are getting restocking fees waived and free pre-paid return shipping for your returns without asking. This is NOT newegg's policy as you can see below, so it's not as simple as "the online system doesn't know any better".

I'm not saying newegg is worse when it comes to returns when you compare them to other options, but thought I had to point out that the policy differs from your experience.

I share what others have already mentioned. I have no problem purchasing from newegg, but I do have a problem paying more for the same product when other options are available. Maybe I'm just spoiled with the old egg with cheaper prices, free shipping, hassle free returns for defective items (if ever needed outside of 30 days as they once handled the rmas as the middle person), and quicker default shipping (via fedex/ups or when they only had the one distro in CA).

When they started it was the best option available. Waiting 3-5 days was a no brainer when you were saving that much money. The customer service, which nobody offered at that time for pc parts online, was above and beyond other online merchants.

Over the years the prices increased, post support policies grew tighter, shipping times increased either via carrier changes or multiple distribution points (ie sometimes you have one order split into multiple shipments from different locations), and finally for me poor shipping was the final straw. The newegg that I experienced in the beginning was not the same newegg now.

I understand it's not personal, just business. So I take my business where I receive better pricing, quicker shipping, and/or better support. 90% of the time this is not newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6

When and why are restocking fees applied? How much is deducted when a return is subject to a restocking fee?
There is a restocking fee of 15% on all returns for refund (RMA Refund), unless waived by a Customer Support Agent. We charge this 15% restocking fee for all returns for refund to encourage customers to purchase products they intend to keep. We offer RMA Replacement without any restocking fee to support customers who have received a defective product. For CPU and Memory refunds, any restocking fee we use will be a reflection on current market value for the same cpu item. Newegg.com does not support attempts to profit from CPU and Memory price fluctuations.

Does Newegg.com pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise?
No, Newegg.com does not pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise. We are not responsible for product defects, because we do not manufacture the products we carry. However, if you pay to send the item back to Newegg.com, we will replace the item and ship the replacement to you at no charge. Newegg.com will employ every resource it has to ensure that your item is replaced promptly, without hassle.

Last edited:
In the last two years, Ive done maybe a half dozen returns for defective parts. Everyone of them I called for the RMA, they set it up and emailed a shipping label. Everyone on the forums I frequent (EOCF, OCA, NBOC, Overclockt) all say the same. If they use automated they dont get the label, but when they call and ask for one they give it.

I also have had many occasions where I missed a deal by a day or so, or there was a price drop after I ordered something, and everytime they have refunded the difference without any issue.

Im not saying they are perfect or like they used to be, but there is nothing wrong with what they provide. The shipping has gotten a little slower, and there are less items that have free shipping. Combo deals arent as good as they used to be, and the price difference to other places isnt as good. But, for the most part, they are the cheapest place for most PC hardware for people that dont pay taxes. Their shipping is perfectly acceptable, and if you dont mind calling in and being nice, the RMA service is great.

I still will order from whoever is cheaper for what Im getting though.

It's not sales tax for me. Newegg just isn't what it used to be.

Raising prices, price gouging, crappier shipping with higher shipping fees, etc... They used to have great policies now it's like any other retailer. I don't mind buying stuff from the egg but I'm not shopping there exclusively anymore.

Exactly. Has it really been so long that we have to remember the good old times? ;)
They are just like any other retailer. I still shop there, but not if I can shop locally.

I'm sure everyone knows there are some stuff that you would be insane to buy from Newegg. Like an HDTV. If buying online I doubt you can beat Amazon.

the RMA policy must have changed recently on broken products. Everytime I have had to RMA a product that arrived defective they send me a UPS label for it. If the product is of low value, they offer me a refund or a replacement free of charge (IE a single fan arrives damaged/defective)

Geez, their pricematch policy has changed too. Remember when those days when they would credit you the difference if you got it at a higher price not too long ago?

Just had to go through 4 reps to get my credit, 3 of them (actually I d/ced from one) wouldn't give a credit and gave the generic response of "We do not offer pricing protection.. suck it".

The last rep said the same, but then she did a 360 and gave me the credit, citing "Thanks for holding. Since you are our valued customer and your order has not yet delivered we can make an exception to adjust the price." I'm guessing only those with a long-ish history with them can get this now? Oh, and it wasn't even a credit... it was a gift card with a 90 day limit.

Sucks. This place isn't what it used to be, going down to mediocrity like the rest.

Newegg is still good for me in NYC...warehouse in NJ means lightning fast delivery most of the time (w/Free Shipping)...no sales tax either

Amazon added sales tax to NY residents about a year ago which made their prices less attractive...salex tax sucks

You think sales tax sucks now, what until they pass a VAT tax on every link in the supply chain of every product. Then Newegg is really going to suck.

Also, what is the deal with Newegg's video game prices??? Amazon destroys them on almost everything they sell plus the shipping is 99% free and etc, etc, etc. I don't think I have ordered anything for Newegg for at least 18-24 months.

Let me see if I understand this...so if 'Egg was running an ad here, and I clicked through on item X, but instead bought item Y, then you get no commission? Well that's fucked. A sale is a sale, and commission should be a commission. And you did the right thing telling them fuck off.

And you should definitely start using Provantage, Microcenter and Fry's for your recommendations. Especially the last two, where you can order online and pickup in a local store. Neither is far from your house are they?

Amazon does 5% if I remember right.

NCIX Canada for me

one purchase from newegg.ca was 1 too many.

i always buy from the egg, i get fast shipping, and to be honest, i dont trust other sites. anyone is bound to have problems with a site with the amount of traffic they must get there. maybe people did abuse the return policies, maybe some dont.. they have their reasons for doing things differently lately. do all your research before you buy a product, and install it correctly, no problems!

In the last two years, Ive done maybe a half dozen returns for defective parts. Everyone of them I called for the RMA, they set it up and emailed a shipping label. Everyone on the forums I frequent (EOCF, OCA, NBOC, Overclockt) all say the same. If they use automated they dont get the label, but when they call and ask for one they give it.

I also have had many occasions where I missed a deal by a day or so, or there was a price drop after I ordered something, and everytime they have refunded the difference without any issue.

Im not saying they are perfect or like they used to be, but there is nothing wrong with what they provide. The shipping has gotten a little slower, and there are less items that have free shipping. Combo deals arent as good as they used to be, and the price difference to other places isnt as good. But, for the most part, they are the cheapest place for most PC hardware for people that dont pay taxes. Their shipping is perfectly acceptable, and if you dont mind calling in and being nice, the RMA service is great.

I still will order from whoever is cheaper for what Im getting though.

That's not true. I was denied a return shipping label for a replacement.

If not Newegg, which other companies have better customer support and return policies?

I dont really have issues with the egg, But the crappy way they ship some items, Especially hard-drives, But so far, I havent received a bad drive and only had to do RMA's due to UPS throwing it around like it was a rag-doll, So thats not a fault of newegg, They replaced the items and gave me free shipping stickers.

If not Newegg, which other companies have better customer support and return policies?

Amazon, hands down, by far.

For instance; Get a DOA/Bad Item, and they will OVERNIGHT a new one to you IMMEDIATELY, and they pay return shipping on the dead item.
Or if you're simply Not happy with an item... Return it, WITHOUT a restocking fee, all you pay is return shipping (understandable).

I used to buy thousands of dollars worth of crap from Newegg every year. Now it all goes to Amazon. Its unfortunate, I really liked Newegg. On top of better customer support and return policies, Amazon usually has the same (or cheaper) pricing, the same (or free) shipping rates, and no sales tax (I dont blame Newegg for this, its a state/Government issue). I do still occasionally buy things from Newegg, but its usually only becuase Amazon doesnt have it. In general, Im with the otehr posters that said they use Newegg for reference only now.

Last edited:
Amazon, hands down, by far.

For instance; Get a DOA/Bad Item, and they will OVERNIGHT a new one to you IMMEDIATELY, and they pay return shipping on the dead item.

Or if you're simply Not happy with an item... Return it, WITHOUT a restocking fee, all you pay is return shipping (understandable).

Thats very nice, But isnt amazons free shipping like the value shipping and takes awhile? Just wondering.

Thats very nice, But isnt amazons free shipping like the value shipping and takes awhile? Just wondering.

Just your standard UPS ground. Their "value" shipping is as slow/fast as the standard ground service; you're not thinking they use mules and wagons to slow the shipping time do you?

Just your standard UPS ground. Their "value" shipping is as slow/fast as the standard ground service; you're not thinking they use mules and wagons to slow the shipping time do you?

Well I've never bought anything from them before, So was just curious :D

The free shipping does take a little bit longer, yes.
But generally, if I order early in the week, ill still get it by the weekend.
If you want it quicker, their next teir of shipping is still very cheap, and will guarantee that the items ship out the same (or next) business day. I use both methods often, and im happy with both.

Its definately not as fast and cheap as teh good ole days of Newegg where just about everything was Free FedEX Super Saver, but its the best i've found lately.

Yeah, Thats 1 thing I wish the egg still had, Free FedEX shipping. I remember those days.

You forgot to mention the continually fluctuating price adjustments... I mean WTF???

Week 1: Item goes on sale for $15 less.
Week 2: Sale over, but item only rises $5.
Week 3: Item becomes "SHELL SHOCKER" deal of the day... at like $12 less than original.
--so you figure now I better bite, 'cause it ain't gonna get any better... too bad I missed the good sale.
Next day: Item goes to $20 HIGHER than original price.
--damn! good thing I bought it when I did!!
Week 4: Item comes out on NewEgg email at $10 less than you just paid.

The above was purely hypothetical, but yet based on almost all of my recent purchases from the Egg.
I have not seen ANY site fluctuate their prices so much for a single item.

Buying PC components, you expect to see anything you buy drop significantly in price... but not within 30 days!!
Most stores have a 30-day price match, and NewEgg themselves used to issue a store credit in such instances.

The last time I called them, it was like pulling teeth. The rep finally agreed to a "ONE TIME" credit, but promised me that it would be my last.

:whatever:

When I do a new build for myself or someone else, I will go to New Egg and add all of the parts to the cart. I will watch the cart for a week, and watch the prices rise and fall and bite when it reaches the lowest point.

It's like the frigging stock market!

That's not true. I was denied a return shipping label for a replacement.

Did you call and ask for one? Everytime Ive called they said they pay return shipping for replacements, just not returns.

If you get someone who tells you no, hang up and call back. You will get someone different who will.

Any where you call for support is like this. For phone, tv, bills, whatever. If you dont like what you are being told, hang up and call back. And keep doing so till you get what you want.

First of all, if you are complaining that they charge sales tax in your state. Go vote, call your representative. It's not their fault that your state government enacted a law that requires them to charge you tax. Or the other option is for you to move.

However, it does seem that the Egg is turning rotten recently.

Things that have bugged me in the last few days:
1) Their new free shipping is not worth it. 4-7 days via DHL to USPS? Where did free FedEx go?
2) Expanding to a overall retailer and creating the egg mall... I guess they would rather be large and do everything mediocre than be a just an excellent tech retailer.

Getting too big is not the right answer. I guess the owners are ready to cash in and are set on maximizing their profits for a better IPO. Sad as I enjoyed using the egg in the past.

The beauty of the system is that if they start being bad someone else will emerge as the alternative.

It looks like we have come to an agreement with Newegg on comissioned sales. If you click through a comissioned link, HardOCP will earn a commission from the sale on everything you purchase ON THAT VISIT, even if you don't buy what item you clicked through on.

I am not sure we will be able to append all links in our forums to be commissioned links but we will work on that.

Does this mean that Newegg is trying to place nice with the [H] now, or make up for the falling out that happened a while back?

I don't know. But let me be frank, there was no "falling out" there. They just stopped advertising with us, and many others, we were not alone in that boat.

I don't think a tiny percentage of sales is going to amount to anything worth the maintenance, but we will see.

How? They have none......

Amazon has a lot of customer service places. I worked for one in Kennewick, WA. Well staffed, and the customer was always right. We could give them whatever we thought would make it right, within reason, of course.

I think you either got someone in India (ouch, I hate that!), or you copped a major attitude. Either that, or something was fishy with your account, but you should have been able to explain it to them.

But, no clue how you contacted them. You can call, have them call you or email. It goes straight to Amazon customer support. I'm usually not a fan of customer service, but Amazon has always been top notch for me.

Amazon has a lot of customer service places. I worked for one in Kennewick, WA. Well staffed, and the customer was always right. We could give them whatever we thought would make it right, within reason, of course.

I think you either got someone in India (ouch, I hate that!), or you copped a major attitude. Either that, or something was fishy with your account, but you should have been able to explain it to them.

But, no clue how you contacted them. You can call, have them call you or email. It goes straight to Amazon customer support. I'm usually not a fan of customer service, but Amazon has always been top notch for me.

Ive tried calling about 6 times, my mom called twice, and my GF called once for hers. Everytime it was someone in India who said it wasnt their department and would transfer the info to the right one and we would recieve and email. Every email just said why they cancled the account, and never replied about opening it back up.

Why HATE newegg.com?? If you happened not to like them -- take your dollars elsewhere, you are not forced to shop there. Newegg.com is for profit undertaking and they do what they think is going to get them more of that profit thing.

On taxes -- newegg.com did not choose to collect taxes in CA, it was *required* by the state to do so. They wish they could skip the tax (which hurts them in competing with out-of-state outfits). Also, you are most likely required to pay state use/sales tax even on out-of-state purchases, so tax is a moot point.

The only site online that I know of that is really annoying for tax is Digikey. They collect tax for all states even though they are only located in Minnesota. :(

I don't know about all states, but I do know that Massachusetts has a line on their state tax form where residents are supposed to claim all internet/mail order purchases that were not taxed... and subsequently PAY the sales tax on those items as part of their tax filing. :eek:

I'm SO GLAD that I live in NH. ;)

I've voted with my wallet. I havent bought anything from Newegg for awhile now. Their prices just arent anything to jump at. Microcenter and Amazon have seen most my build money recently.

I am still hung up on the after rebate prices that Newegg shows instead of pre rebate prices when you search items.

Newegg, once upon a time, you were great. You used to have a 1-year replacement policy, you used to have standard 30-day returns on everything except CPUs. You used to have better prices than anywhere else, and, long ago, you didn't gouge me on CPU prices.

Now, though, you're just a rotten egg.

You have so many different RMA policies it's difficult to keep track of which is which. You've turned a system that was helpful and sane (30 days for a refund, one year for a replacement) into something totally wrong. The video card I recently bought came with a limited VGA 30-day replacement-only policy. This means that no matter what is wrong with it, I can never get a refund, and after 30 days, there's no way to get it replaced except through the manufacturer. Even if I ship it back to you, you make me pay for the return shipping. And don't get me started on your obscene, "industry standard" 15% restocking fee.

Because I live in California, I have to pay your sales tax. That's about 10% since I'm in the LA area, so your golden prices have no luster anymore. Combined with your higher prices and awful return policies, I want nothing to do with you. It's cheaper to buy that i7-930 at Frys, where I can make sure it's not a paperweight in the box at the store. It's safer to buy that video card from Amazon, which has an excellent return policy--30 days without restocking fee--and free shipping. I'm spending several hundred dollars--what a concept that the shipping would be free! What a concept that I should be able to return something and get all my money back!

Newegg, I hate you. Your website is only useful for research, and I never want to buy from you again.

Sincerely,
Thug Esquire
Is it that Newegg doesn't have the lowest prices or that everyone else realizes they just have to match newegg or go out of business?

Also, you expect 1 year replacement? That's absolutely absurd. I'm glad they got rid of that so people can't abuse it. It kinda makes me wonder why you think it's so great unless you're returning products 11 months, 29 days after you bought it, then expecting Newegg to clean up after you. I don't want to pay more for something because someone is trying to rip off the company. I do agree that a 15% restocking fee is bullshit. I don't pay a restocking fee when I return something to a B&M store ... well at least the ones I shop at.

I don't see what's wrong with going to the manufacturer for RMA's after 30 days. I think that within 30 days you can make up your damn mind or find out if the card is bad or not.

Yes, Newegg is trying to 'clean up' their bottom line by removing policies and procedures that people can abuse. I also agree that they have 'to many' different return policies. Yes, they are easily found on the site and explained in lingo that anyone could understand but I still don't think you need a half dozen or more different return policies.

I still shop there and will continue to shop there. I don't shop there exclusively but I often start there, then check elsewhere for prices and still end up usually going back to them.

Oh by the way. The hard drive I ordered from Newegg 2 weeks ago came in a anti-static bag, wrapped in bubblewrap, inside a box, then that box was bubblewrapped inside another box.

Since this is a NEWEGG Rant thread, I'll chime in on my experience...

For starters, because everyone must lay it out there, I was a loyal Newegg.com customer since they went live over 9 years ago. Having lived less than 10 miles away from their one and only (at the time) warehouse in Industry/Whittier - it was a pleasure to buy products at competitive prices and relatively fast shipping... didn't mind paying tax.

In my faithful time as there #1 (in my eyes) customer, I had spent over $50,000 during those first 7-8 years... not including the business I had sent them as referrals or when I used them for hardware/server purchases for my job...

Moving forward; about a year ago I purchased a Keyboard that was advertised as "NEW OEM". Received the keyboard and to my finding it looked to be refurbished. After hooking it up, I found several keys were sticking or weren't registering. I contacted newegg, and was asked to ship the keyboard back at my expense. $10 later, a replacement arrived in worse physical condition then the first but fully functioned. Thinking I was going crazy, and had missed the part the said "refurbished" I went back to the listing page - Nothing.

Contacted Newegg, got the "Really sorry for your troubles, we'll refund you the money..." story and was asked to ship the keyboard back. Another $10 in shipping and packaging, the keyboard was sent off. I received a partial refund minus their 15% restocking fee - huh?! I was charged because It was NOT defective. Long story short, I paid $32 for $100 keyboard that I did not keep - WTF ?

About 6 months later I decided to try them out again, assuming that I was lucky enough to go 7-8 years prior with no issues, I was bound to have one sometime or another - fluke right.

They had a killer deal on some 1.5TB HDs, I wanted to purchased 15 but needed to put it on a business card which required an approval. I called them, gave them my story, the rep said NO problem because of the quantity we'll give you the price. A day later, after the purchased was approved, I called to place the order... In a nut shell, they denied me the 15 drive purchase regardless of my loyalty or my purchase history. Although, I must mention they gave me a $10 credit off my next purchase for all my troubles.

A company willing to lose out on a $2300 sale, because of a $150 difference, prove to me they could care less about my business. I understand that the profit margin for these drives at the time were probably slim to none, however I expected a little courtesy - instead the door was shut on my face.

FACK, Newegg.

Big congrats on this!
Do you have a commissioned link that we can use RIGHT NOW?
:) I have some stuff to buy.

First one right here. Put it up to test. Please use it. :)

Is this going to be a single "portal" like link or every Newegg link posted from here on out?

Back