I hate you, Newegg.

I too must admit that I don't do near as much business with NewEgg as I use to. They are still fantastic, if not one of the best, but what they were in the past is not what they are now. NewEgg use to be the only place to buy hardware online and get consistent results (quick shipping, great prices, even better customer service/returns). Now it is still great, but it is the following:

Code:
OLD NEWEGG    |    NEW NEWEGG
---------------------------------------------
Best Prices        |       Fair Prices - You will find the same prices at a handful of other etailers.
Best Return Policy   |  Standard Return Policy - They are usually pretty good about returns, but they got rid of replacement policy after 30 days
Quick Shipping    |    Quick Shipping* - You have no idea what warehouse something is coming from now so for us West Coasters that have been using NewEgg since inception we go from knowing we are getting it in 2 days to maybe 4 or 5 days depending on if it got to a East Coast warehouse, and because of the time-zone change if it got shipped that day or will go out the next day.  Inconsistency for many items I purchase.  You would think 100% of orders would ship from their CA warehouse, but honestly, it is only about 75% to me and in the back of my mind i'm always wondering when I place an order "will this be a 25% East Coast warehouse".  You open a ticket and they won't tell you until after you place the order.

Sup fellas, just wanted to throw my $.02 into all of this. I've been a Newegg customer for a long, long time, since they opened, whenever that was and I've yet to have a negative experience with them. Sure the prices fluctuate almost on a semi hourly basis at times but the customer service has been excellent.

I can tell you that there is a big difference between the bot like behavior of the chat reps and the ones you will get on the phone. My latest issue was with a mistakenly ordered set of RAM for my computer (DDR3 for a DDR2 board DOH!) was subject to a %15 restocking fee as per the chat rep who made it seem as there was absolutely no wiggle room on that policy, but when I called and KINDLY complained about my situation they didn't hesitate to make sure that I wasn't charged the restocking fee when I sent the memory back for a full refund.

I have made multiple purchases where the price has gone down within a day or week of purchase. It was painless to call them and inform them of the price change and get the difference credited back to my card. I had to do this when I purchased my ZuneHD 32GB from them earlier this year before the prices dropped everyone for the units. I felt so good about that experience that I went ahead and ordered a 16GB unit for my wife.

I hate restocking fees but can you blame them? They can't sell an open box item as new and I can see how they would rather not take a loss when they resell the item as open box so they charge that extra %15 to make up for it (I'm assuming here, they could just be greedy pricks but I want to give them the benefit of doubt). Now as far as I'm concerned, I order from places that don't charge a restocking fee when I want to take a chance on a product.

I'm not so sure I can get behind the [H]'s stance on the commission issue (even considering banning Newegg links just seems childish to me). I would assume that if they only want to offer commission on items they post it's because they have the margin to spare on those particular items. Do this across the board and now you are possibly eating into their profits on items that have slim margins to begin with. Just sayin'.

fast and free shipping for me! if you dont like the taxes, then MOVE!

OR....

Shop somewhere else AND pay less.

The only thing I really like about Newegg is the fact I can go there to reference products for shopping elsewhere and the fact that their "3-Day shipping" gets to my house in 2 days......so it's basically free 2 day.

Last edited:
I have made multiple purchases where the price has gone down within a day or week of purchase. It was painless to call them and inform them of the price change and get the difference credited back to my card.
And such has been the case for all of us long-time Egg-heads... until recently.
In the past couple of months, I think they have become far less willing.

I'm not so sure I can get behind the [H]'s stance on the commission issue (even considering banning Newegg links just seems childish to me). I would assume that if they only want to offer commission on items they post it's because they have the margin to spare on those particular items. Do this across the board and now you are possibly eating into their profits on items that have slim margins to begin with. Just sayin'.
So, NewEgg should just get FREE advertising space on [H]??

NO.

Just like a billboard on a busy highway, internet retailers must pay for their advertising banners, too.
Unlike physical signs, most internet advertising is done by referral fees, as a percentage of "linked" traffic.
For NewEgg to stipulate that ONLY certain sale items should generate that fee, would be like a local retailer stating that their advertising fee will be based ONLY on the number of Toyotas that pass the billboard... even though every other driver will see their signage.

So, NewEgg should just get FREE advertising space on [H]??

NO.

Just like a billboard on a busy highway, internet retailers must pay for their advertising banners, too.
Unlike physical signs, most internet advertising is done by referral fees, as a percentage of "linked" traffic.
For NewEgg to stipulate that ONLY certain sale items should generate that fee, would be like a local retailer stating that their advertising fee will be based ONLY on the number of Toyotas that pass the billboard... even though every other driver will see their signage.
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I'm proposing that the [H] allow Newegg to advertise for free, but that isn't the case. Allowing Newegg links in forum posts != Free advertising (Hot Deals posts being a glaring exception). Perhaps banning them in the hot deals section is a good idea but not across the board, or do what AVS Forum does and not allow price discussions, and in the case of the [H] only allow them in the Hot Deals section. But it would have to be across the board for all sites, not just one in particular.

What the hell started the beef between [H] and Newegg regarding online advertisements anyway? I remember there being some drama way back but the hows and whys escape me.

You guys should really give Amazon Prime a chance.

I don't have any beefs with the egg, but I've been on Prime for two years now, and my newegg charges have diminished steadily since joining Prime. Free 2day shipping and 3.99/item overnight shipping is hard to top; and overnight has saved me a couple of times when I urgently needed a part I could not get at BestBuy or a local mom-n-pop OEM store.

The one weakness is that I tend to stay with Amazon or "Fulfilled by Amazon" vendors to qualify for Prime. Esoteric or legacy parts aren't going to be Prime purchases- and the shipping is outrageous. But for fresh new components, it's going to be shipped faster than egg and sometimes a little cheaper than egg.

The one thing I don't like about Amazon is their horrendous price shifting. But that's worked to my advantage as well.

I recently purchased a new 500 gig drive from newegg that ended up being DOA. I sent it in for a replacement and they paid shipping. It was only a 14 day return policy, meaning I had to send it back within 14 days. Work became hectic and it became 15 days and I hadn't sent it back yet. I emailed them to let them know and asked if I needed a new RMA number or what to do? They emailed back and said send it ASAP and they'll keep the RMA open for a few more days. No problem.

You guys should really give Amazon Prime a chance.

I don't have any beefs with the egg, but I've been on Prime for two years now, and my newegg charges have diminished steadily since joining Prime. Free 2day shipping and 3.99/item overnight shipping is hard to top; and overnight has saved me a couple of times when I urgently needed a part I could not get at BestBuy or a local mom-n-pop OEM store.

The one weakness is that I tend to stay with Amazon or "Fulfilled by Amazon" vendors to qualify for Prime. Esoteric or legacy parts aren't going to be Prime purchases- and the shipping is outrageous. But for fresh new components, it's going to be shipped faster than egg and sometimes a little cheaper than egg.

The one thing I don't like about Amazon is their horrendous price shifting. But that's worked to my advantage as well.
I subscribe to Amazon Prime, it's great when you can take advantage of it. But, the taxes kill it for me (most of the time) and of course as you mentioned, the instances where an item isn't "Fulfilled by Amazon".

Where I'm located (SI NY)shipping speed is about the same between Amazon and Newegg. Both have been pretty consistent with one to two day delivery for most items (as long as they are shipped from the East coast).

since everybody here seems to know places that sell wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than newegg , how about some links , because i seriously cant find it.
Amazon , i looked stuff up i need and $20 to $40 dollars more expensive , not talking about their 4 week slow shipping.
Tiger direct .. more expensive and i have to pay for shipping.
Directron.. good guys to buy from, but around $5 to $10 dollars over newegg.
Provantage,. cant even find what im looking for, and slow slow slow last time i bought from them.
So newegg haters ...where are those famous e-tailers that sell stuff for almost free with lightning fast speed ???

So newegg haters ...where are those famous e-tailers that sell stuff for almost free with lightning fast speed ???

• Ewiz (ships faster than Newegg, even if you order the same day)
  • Mwave
  • ZipZoomfly (though I haven't ordered from them in a while)
  • Buy.com

I think your suggested action is inappropriate. I am sure you allow links to other merchants who do not pay you a commission.

Get rid of links. Get rid of all the ads. Get rid of all the commissions. Charge a fee for access to your site.

That's funny. You guys pay to produce content here?

• Mwave
  • Buy.com

Ewiz is crap. They have the worse return policy ever, and sell used open products as new. I know cause its happened. It can also take a week or more for them to ship stuff sometimes.

And ZZF is out of stock for just about everything anytime I look.

I knew the day newegg went down the drain when I bought my wife a hair dryer along with an SSD for me then they use USPS to handle their shipping.
Never again.

What I've learned from this thread... people like to bitch, and since Newegg is so huge, there's just going to be much more bitching about them than anything else.

And from my personal experience with Newegg, their shipping and packaging has been exactly the same for me, which is very good (which is the most important), their free 4-7 day shipping arrived at my front door in 2 days. And this came from Tennessee instead of Jersey which is closer to me.

Yes their prices have gone up a bit, all that means is that you have to shop around a bit more, and a lot (or most) of the time their prices are still the lowest. I don't shop at them exclusively anymore, but I don't really need to either. So what's the beef really.

Just seems to me everyone here is nitpicking on Newegg and blowing it out of proportions. Just my opinion of course.

Edit: I should mention their free shipping came UPS, not as good as Fed Ex way back in the day, but not DHL or USPS or whatever the crap people have suggested.

Proof that newegg is going down.

Ordered 7:40 AM 4/01/2010

Check this for the tracking.

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSIn...nquiry.do?origTrackNum=9102900006021101427135

They sat on my order and didn't even get picked up til the 4th.

WTF was they doing all day thursday and friday?

No one seems to notice the actual shipping method when they order anymore.

The egg super saver shipping goes to DHL, who in turns hands it off to USPS. So those couple days it was in the hands of DHL.

If you want faster shipping either pay for it, or get a different brand that has free UPS ground.

• Mwave
  • Buy.com

-ZZF got no eastcoast warehouse. Nice place to buy, but regular free Fedex shipping takes usually 10 to 14 days to arrive. And always everything out of stock lately.
-Buy.com worst place to buy ever. had some very , very bad experience with them when i bought a HDD from them some time ago. 20 days processing time, one of my 2 orders got cancelled after 3 weeks. 6 days packaging time. and another 10 days to get my HDD packaged in just a plain empty box with nothin but air inside. Customer service not existant.
-dont know about ewiz and mwave.

since everybody here seems to know places that sell wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than newegg , how about some links , because i seriously cant find it.
Amazon , i looked stuff up i need and $20 to $40 dollars more expensive , not talking about their 4 week slow shipping.
Provantage,. cant even find what im looking for, and slow slow slow last time i bought from them.

Would you stop spreading fud? Amazon doesn't take 4 weeks to ship shit and if you're a prime member, you'll get your items in 2 days max.

Second of all, for someone like me in Cali, amazon is still cheaper if you add in the Cali sales tax and the shipping costs that I'd get from new egg. I'm a prime member so all shipping is free and 2 days. Also I doubt amazon is 40 more expensive on items you want. You just seem biased.

I know it isn't neweggs fault they charge Cali tax, but who cares? I don't wanna pay it.

Honestly, I have no idea when you're talking about when it comes to Amazon. My current i7 PC (all of which was sourced from Amazon) was priced against Newegg, and the prices were either the same or lower coming from Amazon. A big difference is that I don't pay CA sales tax buying from Amazon. Obviously this doensn't apply to everyone. Hell, if you live in WA then you're paying sales tax buying from Amazon, what a drag that must be. They also do free shipping by default on more items from my build. Throw something like Amazon Prime on top of it and you're really saving on shipping. In any case, I save money buying from them.

On the topic of shipping time, I live about 30 minutes from Newegg's shipping facility in City Of Industry, so I always got things fast from them, two days (if I put an order Monday afternoon I'll have it by Wednesday). Surprise surprise, I get things in the same amount of time from Amazon. I have no idea where you are pulling four weeks from.

I haven't ordered hardware from the other sites you've mentioned, just Amazon, Newegg, MWave, and Googlegear (they still around?), and I feel confident saying that you're preaching FUD when it comes to Amazon's prices and service.

I'm a big fan of the egg, but I'm finding that I'm using them for reference only. I find what I'm looking for on their site, make sure the pictures show everything I need to see, then set off to find it somewhere else for cheaper.

It's almost like they're turning into Tiger Direct becuase everything good is either a refurb or some crazy rebate. I wish they'd focus on being the number one hardware shop again. If they offer a <wave hands>crazy deal</wave hands>, I want it to be a crazy deal that I can't resist -- something I'm disappointed that I didn't get in on time... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Same here. I use Newegg for reference most of the time and buy somewhere else.

But recently I bought $400 worth of stuff at newegg. 2 out of the 4 items I had to return because it was DOA. Paid $15 for return shipping. In the end I didn't save any money buying from them.

Newegg handles hard drive horribly. The last 2 I bought I had to return because it failed.

No one seems to notice the actual shipping method when they order anymore.

The egg super saver shipping goes to DHL, who in turns hands it off to USPS. So those couple days it was in the hands of DHL.

If you want faster shipping either pay for it, or get a different brand that has free UPS ground.

Actually I do notice the shipping method, if all they said was Eggsave i.e hand off to USPS I would have paid for something else.
Plus, anything shipped from newegg to me via UPS is overnight no matter what, damn me for expecting something different living so close to their warehouse?

I am a equal opportunity buyer. I typically gravitate to the places that have the best prices for what I want and provide good service. I've shopped at ewiz, mwave, amazon, buy.com, newegg, directron, provantage, zzf, tigerdirect, fry's and others. Honestly, all have treated me pretty well with acceptable service and good ship times. Sometimes one has a pricing advantage over the other and sometimes shipping is free, but more often than not newegg generally has had better pricing when I am looking for something specific and their service has been great since my first purchase on 3/11/2003 until now, 7 years and $10k later.

Now I hated when they switched their free shipping from Fed Ex to UPS and hate that they switched from UPS to DHL for thier egg saver. I also do not like their modified return policies, however they often to not enforce them and have often waved restocking fees and provided return shipping for me.

Overall, despite some annoyances, NewEgg is still where I do a good portion of my shopping.

Honestly, I have no idea when you're talking about when it comes to Amazon. My current i7 PC (all of which was sourced from Amazon) was priced against Newegg, and the prices were either the same or lower coming from Amazon. A big difference is that I don't pay CA sales tax buying from Amazon. Obviously this doensn't apply to everyone. Hell, if you live in WA then you're paying sales tax buying from Amazon, what a drag that must be. They also do free shipping by default on more items from my build. Throw something like Amazon Prime on top of it and you're really saving on shipping. In any case, I save money buying from them.

On the topic of shipping time, I live about 30 minutes from Newegg's shipping facility in City Of Industry, so I always got things fast from them, two days (if I put an order Monday afternoon I'll have it by Wednesday). Surprise surprise, I get things in the same amount of time from Amazon. I have no idea where you are pulling four weeks from.

I haven't ordered hardware from the other sites you've mentioned, just Amazon, Newegg, MWave, and Googlegear (they still around?), and I feel confident saying that you're preaching FUD when it comes to Amazon's prices and service.

Well first off all not everybody buys an i7 and not everybody lives in CA. Looks like the only reason you guys here dont like newegg is because of the sales tax.
Im looking most of the time for mid or low end parts for customers and i need them fast. When i place my order at newegg before 3pm ET i get my stuff the next morning.
I ordered some game controllers a couple of years ago at amazon with free shipping.
Verification and aprovement of payment took 3 days after a phonecall. Then it took a long time for them to package and ship the item and even longer the shipping itself. Items arrived after 4 weeks that i placed the order.
Can you imagine having a customer waiting for 4 weeks ???

contrary to some other users experiences I have had good luck with buy.com and amazon. I purchased about 9 items with buy in the last 2 months and they shipped fast and in most cases were cheaper or just a few dollars more than newegg. Amazon is great if you can find your item prime eligible and at the right price, then shipping is 2 days max.

Newegg's one real advantage is their excellent website and search functions. You can frequently find equal or better deals elsewhere, but Amazon's site (for example) is simply not optimized for searching hardware. If you don't know what you are looking for, it can be very difficult to navigate.

So for whatever it's worth, I give kudos to whoever designed newegg's site.

I'm a big fan of the egg, but I'm finding that I'm using them for reference only. I find what I'm looking for on their site, make sure the pictures show everything I need to see, then set off to find it somewhere else for cheaper.

It's almost like they're turning into Tiger Direct becuase everything good is either a refurb or some crazy rebate. I wish they'd focus on being the number one hardware shop again. If they offer a <wave hands>crazy deal</wave hands>, I want it to be a crazy deal that I can't resist -- something I'm disappointed that I didn't get in on time... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

THIS!

As of late the local Microcenter & Frys are my top 2 pics. Never thought it would happen this way that B&M is kicking butt against Newegg but sometimes the retail sales are insane!

If not Amazon has some pretty good deals and they are getting more and more of my business as of late.

Just bought a laptop from Tiger Direct. While Newegg has gotten expensive, TD has become much better regarding service and pricing. 12.3% Bing CB is nice too. Newegg usually only gives 1-3% and seems to often cost more. I love Amazon Customer Service!

Well first off all not everybody buys an i7 and not everybody lives in CA. Looks like the only reason you guys here dont like newegg is because of the sales tax.
Im looking most of the time for mid or low end parts for customers and i need them fast. When i place my order at newegg before 3pm ET i get my stuff the next morning.
I ordered some game controllers a couple of years ago at amazon with free shipping.
Verification and aprovement of payment took 3 days after a phonecall. Then it took a long time for them to package and ship the item and even longer the shipping itself. Items arrived after 4 weeks that i placed the order.
Can you imagine having a customer waiting for 4 weeks ???

Wow. Keyword few years ago, and I don't even remember amazon even being like that a few years ago. Methinks you bought something from a third party seller on amazon. You're the only one in the thread who is saying amazon takes 4 weeks to ship while everyone else is praising how fast amazon ships shit. Sorry but what you're saying isn't an accurate representation of amazon.

Also, their return policy is much better. You have 30 days no questions asked to return shit without a restocking fee and amazon pays return shipping. In fact all you have to do is print the label from their site when you want to return something. It's pretty awesome.

Just bought a laptop from Tiger Direct. While Newegg has gotten expensive, TD has become much better regarding service and pricing. 12.3% Bing CB is nice too. Newegg usually only gives 1-3% and seems to often cost more. I love Amazon Customer Service!

How? They have none. My account was banned because I used a gift certificate from a coin star machine once. They dont allow you to just use a gift certificate, you have to have a card or something listed on the payment as well. I used a prepaid Visa (had used them many times before with them just fine). That card was used on my mom's account once, so they considered it using someone elses card and banned my account. They then banned my mom's account for having the same shipping address as a banned account.
The "customer service" that you call doesnt even go to Amazon, it goes to someone who takes down the information, and they send it to Amazon. From there you have to wait for an email. I did, and the email both times just said the reason they cancled the account. Tried replying, and never got a responce. It goes back to no one. There is no actual number to call to talk to them about your account.

A few months later my GF moved in and ordered something. They cancled her account too for having the same shipping address.

And again, no matter who we talked to, non of the issues were settled. I am now out $75 from the gift certificate as well.

How? They have none. My account was banned because I used a gift certificate from a coin star machine once. They dont allow you to just use a gift certificate, you have to have a card or something listed on the payment as well. I used a prepaid Visa (had used them many times before with them just fine). That card was used on my mom's account once, so they considered it using someone elses card and banned my account. They then banned my mom's account for having the same shipping address as a banned account.
The "customer service" that you call doesnt even go to Amazon, it goes to someone who takes down the information, and they send it to Amazon. From there you have to wait for an email. I did, and the email both times just said the reason they cancled the account. Tried replying, and never got a responce. It goes back to no one. There is no actual number to call to talk to them about your account.

A few months later my GF moved in and ordered something. They cancled her account too for having the same shipping address.

And again, no matter who we talked to, non of the issues were settled. I am now out $75 from the gift certificate as well.

What does amazon have to do with tiger direct anyway?

Amazon and Tigerdirect is the way to go now for me in California. Free shipping + no tax can always beat the price that Newegg has. Oh ya, Tigerdirect have bing cash back too.

so im the only guy in the whole US who got problems with amazon. Ok. Then i guess im the only guy in the whole US who got no problems with the rotten egg :rolleyes:
come on guys the only thing your complaining about the whole time is that you have to pay taxes in CA. Well bad luck for you . Funny is that nobody ever post a thread "i hate microcenter and frys because they charge sales tax".:rolleyes:
oh well whatever , im done with this thread.
Threads in [H] are not what they used to be either. :rolleyes:

so im the only guy in the whole US who got problems with amazon. Ok. Then i guess im the only guy in the whole US who got no problems with the rotten egg :rolleyes:
come on guys the only thing your complaining about the whole time is that you have to pay taxes in CA. Well bad luck for you . Funny is that nobody ever post a thread "i hate microcenter and frys because they charge sales tax".:rolleyes:

From what you are saying, you must live in one of those states that does not need to pay tax when ordering from Newegg or majority of the online computer store right?

From what you are saying, you must live in one of those states that does not need to pay tax when ordering from Newegg or majority of the online computer store right?

There are far more states that dont pay taxes online, then there are that do.

I order from whoever has it the cheapest. I could care less about the return policy, cause any major place will replace it at no cost when you call in.

There are far more states that dont pay taxes online, then there are that do.

I order from whoever has it the cheapest. I could care less about the return policy, cause any major place will replace it at no cost when you call in.

1. People in this thread use that criteria too, except they have to consider taxes because they aren't as lucky as you to be born somewhere else.

2. The OP just gave an example of a major place that wouldn't return his product. Plus, Newegg always charges the 15% restock fee.

So what the heck are you arguing? Or are you just ranting?

I haven't ordered from the Egg in over a year. Last two builds were all Microcenter and Amazon. Prices on CPU, HDD, and Mobo's are all better at MC; while monitors are considerably better priced at Amazon and I've never once in ten years ever had an order take more than 5 days from amazon.

I stopped ordering HDD's from the egg over 5 years ago because the Egg could never ship a HDD properly and over 2 dozen HDD's 14 were returned within the first week and 3 within 6 months, of course some were the infamous deathstars, but regardless when you order 3 HDD's and they come wrapped in brown shipping paper stacked on top of one another in a box that was 6" too big for them hasta la vista baby.

The recent freeze on anything to do with Newegg is their prices generally suck (just reference their last SSD sale), the way they dropped [H], and their slow shipping to Colorado. Sales tax isn't a huge deal never was, the above three reasons are more than enough for me to look elsewhere. My HTPC I built a few months back came in about 100 cheaper then ordering from newegg, my Q9550 build was almost 300 cheaper, and my 17-930 was 200 cheaper than newegg.

Newegg prices suck on pretty much everything when compared to amazon, microcenter, provantage, and buy.com. Ya I have to generally order from more than 1 place, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal.

With all that said I'm not too keen on banning all newegg links. But if you did it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Huh? I bolded his statement saying he loved Amazon customer service.

Oh....just thought you were talking about tiger direct cause i never heard of amazon doing that. My experience with amazon customer survive has always been excellent and I directly speak to amazon every time.

Oh....just thought you were talking about tiger direct cause i never heard of amazon doing that. My experience with amazon customer survive has always been excellent and I directly speak to amazon every time.

Yep no clue what he is talking about. I've always spoken to real live English speaking people every time I've called with a question or a mistake on an invoice.

What I like about Newegg

1) It is actually possible to search for items (it can take me 5 times longer on Amazon to check RAM prices than newegg and the information would be 1/5th as useful)
2) Combo deals. Why is it that no other site (Even the tiny number that offer them) can organize combo deals in a simple, easy way like newegg ?
3) They randomly decided to show shipping prices again after about 18 months of hiding it

Problems with Newegg:
1) They banned using coupon code discounts with a combo deal discount. I want a $20 discount on a 5770 + 4GB RAM combo and I want the $10 coupon deal discount
2) They are counting mail-in-rebates off the item's price (aka, a $99 item with a $50 MIR is listed at $50)

Back