• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I hate you, Newegg.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd agree with one of these posts but sadly, today is the day.

I tried searching for a MVIX media player and the results that came up were for crystal lite drink mix and chex mix. if you think i'm joking, go try it.

Just ordered an external hard drive enclosure from amazon last night with free super saver shipping. I don't mind the wait :D
 
This isn't really the fault of the consumer. This is the result of manufacturers building RAM that doesn't work with mobos, or mobos that don't work with RAID cards, or what-not. Let me give you an example:

Have you ever bought DDR3 memory and a DDR3 mobo just to find out that your mobo doesn't support that particular brand/model number of RAM? Now, if Newegg were decent, they would offer an exchange program so you could exchange either the mobo or RAM for another mobo or a different set of RAM that worked with the other part, and pay the difference if you're upgrading to a higher-end product. However, they don't. They charge that 15% restocking fee and after 30 days you're SOL. Bought a video card and a waterblock just to find out they're not compatible, even though the website says they are? Oops, you're SOL there, too, because nobody lets you return waterblocks and the video card you bought from Newegg was sold under their "new" limited VGA replacement-only policy--where they will only replace it with the exact same, non-compatible model. Your cash is gone, son.

I really don't have to shop there anymore. Maybe they'll reconsider their policies in the meantime. I don't like their policies and other stores offer better experiences. Newegg has lost my business for giving up its core values: the best prices and eggcellent customer service.

The way they initially handled it is quite telling.

It is not Newegg's responsibility to take a financial hit for your purchasing incompatible products. If you have a question about compatibility you should take it up with the manufacturers or consult tech websites.
 
While I refuse to buy from newegg anymore - since they dropped [H] - I say banning the newegg links is not a good idea. We use those links for research and item comparisons. I agree that it would hurt the users in the long run. Maybe you could negotiate a higher percentage or different terms? I know they have been rubbing the hardware enthusiast community the wrong way but if you could potentially make some good money, maybe you should work with them.
 
It is not Newegg's responsibility to take a financial hit for your purchasing incompatible products. If you have a question about compatibility you should take it up with the manufacturers or consult tech websites.
Manufacturers will not necessarily know the compatibility. It's so fucked that a manufacturer might say it's compatible, but then you try to use four sticks of RAM and they don't even fit because the heat spreaders are too big. Seriously, it's not that difficult to just accept the return or do an exchange. Newegg doesn't get let off the hook because of it.
 
I live in the absolute middle of nowhere.
So..........to feed my habit, I am bound to the internet etailers.

I have found newegg to be my place to go.

They have always treated me with respect and I have had no problem returning things.
They have even honored lower prices on items I ordered that hadn't been shipped out.

The main reason I use the egg is they generally have a stock level better than anywhere else and get the new stuff first.

Sometimes my stuff arrives next day if sent from NJ, and I pay no sales taxes.

My second choice is mwave, but lately their stock is pretty pathetic.
I don't think Amazon is that good for hardware.

Just my 2 cents. If the [H] decides to give them the boot, I'll still shop there.:D
 
Down with newegg, I only use it as my last resort or to see pictures ! :D:D

Or entertain myself with its reviews heheheheh
 
Since Newegg gave us the boot last year, I really started looking around more and obviously I don't give them any of my business. I buy at Provantage a lot and at Amazon.
 
I've spent a few thousand there this year so far. Just link me to a better spot that also helps the [H] pay the bills as well and I'm there.

Newegg, you listening?

We don't link Newegg at all anymore....but LOTS of guys here in the forums do.
 
Zarathustra[H];1035552987 said:
I like microcenter and all, but usually they are MUCH more expensive than Newegg, and have a rather limited selection...


my local MC pricematches newegg. just bring a printout. Best of both worlds. They do add shipping where newegg states it and tax. and I have it in 5 minutes too :) Something bad? Get it exchanged same day.

What's that newegg? UPS ground from CA leaving for Illinois on Tuesday for NEXT Monday delivery? Nahh I'll pass.
 
yeah but if everyone on [H] knew that kyle had banned the egg, it would stir up quite a few questions in their heads, and theyd think twice before shopping with them. i for one agree with kyle saying no deal to them, although i dont know if banning them completely is fair. seems more like petty retaliation than a reasonable reaction. but for sure, any purchases that come as a result of someone clicking on their banner ad at [H] should result in revenue for [H]. no question.
 
my local MC pricematches newegg. just bring a printout. Best of both worlds. They do add shipping where newegg states it and tax. and I have it in 5 minutes too :) Something bad? Get it exchanged same day.

What's that newegg? UPS ground from CA leaving for Illinois on Tuesday for NEXT Monday delivery? Nahh I'll pass.

Ive got nothing near me though. Nice for peeps that do.
 
Ok i hate neweggs new page layout, but other sites are not better either.
I dont know where people see those way cheaper prices at amazon or other etailers but for the stuff im looking for i dont see it.
I get my stuff i order from newegg over night from the NJ warehouse. Never can complain about packaging. Cant say that about amazon. Orders from amazon with free shipping take up to 4 weeks or more in getting here. Not acceptable.
If you got no microcenter or frys around ,there is not much choice left to shop for computer parts.
Since newegg has gotten as big as it is now , selling a lot of not computer related stuff, goin public ... i dont think that a couple of haters here in a forum not buying from them is gonna hurt them.
Company gets too big service goes down the drain, but for many newegg is still the only choice.
 
at the end of the day you should do what's best for Kyle Bennett and KB Networks

that's the same advice I'd give anyone who asked me in your same situation, even someone I hated and despised
 
My current PC build was 100% from Amazon. Better prices, no random price gouging on in-demand items, cheaper shipping, no CA sales tax (doesn't apply to everyone, obviously), better return/exchange policies, etc etc.

I used Newegg for years but I have to agree with the OP, their service and conduct have taken a nosedive over the last two years. I can only see this getting worse with them going public. No big deal though, I'm very happy doing all my business with Amazon instead.
 
There's a reason why I started turning more and more to local shops for parts *cough* SVC/MicroCenter/Fry's *cough* unless they're not in stock and can only be sourced through an e-tailer. Only then I buy online. Never though of using Amazon though, thanks for the tip.

And yes I absolutely HATE their new layout. Along with YouTube. The hell is wrong with people these days! Why fix what's not broken. :mad:
 
i just ordered some stuff from the egg.. 3 day shipping... turned into 6 day shipping :(
 
Or you could make a forumwide post explaining why Newegg links are banned and encourage everyone to use some other favored retailer that you have a business relationship with

i'd explore ALL of your options

you have nothing to lose here, and a lot to gain if you play your cards right
 
seriously if Kyle and newegg cant get along why should we pay for it ? We can choose where to shop and we choose what to post as long as its not offensive and according to forum rules.
 
Newegg has one of the best sites. I haven't purchased anything from them in about 3-4 years, but they definitely are a great reference so I can find what I need and purchase elsewhere and often for cheaper
 
Newegg, once upon a time, you were great. You used to have a 1-year replacement policy, you used to have standard 30-day returns on everything except CPUs. You used to have better prices than anywhere else, and, long ago, you didn't gouge me on CPU prices.

Now, though, you're just a rotten egg.

You have so many different RMA policies it's difficult to keep track of which is which. You've turned a system that was helpful and sane (30 days for a refund, one year for a replacement) into something totally wrong. The video card I recently bought came with a limited VGA 30-day replacement-only policy. This means that no matter what is wrong with it, I can never get a refund, and after 30 days, there's no way to get it replaced except through the manufacturer. Even if I ship it back to you, you make me pay for the return shipping. And don't get me started on your obscene, "industry standard" 15% restocking fee.

Because I live in California, I have to pay your sales tax. That's about 10% since I'm in the LA area, so your golden prices have no luster anymore. Combined with your higher prices and awful return policies, I want nothing to do with you. It's cheaper to buy that i7-930 at Frys, where I can make sure it's not a paperweight in the box at the store. It's safer to buy that video card from Amazon, which has an excellent return policy--30 days without restocking fee--and free shipping. I'm spending several hundred dollars--what a concept that the shipping would be free! What a concept that I should be able to return something and get all my money back!

Newegg, I hate you. Your website is only useful for research, and I never want to buy from you again.

Sincerely,
Thug Esquire

First, its not hard to check the return policy before you add to cart.
Second, there is no restocking fee when you return for a replacment.
Third, they pay shipping costs for all defective items.

All you have to do is pick up the phone and call them for the RMA, or use live chat. If you use the automated service it doesnt know to give you a shipping lable.
 
I guess Ive been lucky cause Ive had nothing but great experiences with Newegg.

I built my entire computer from Newegg and upgraded several components since and always had great service.

It takes some searching and waiting but I always found pretty solid deals on the stuff I wanted and the free shipping usually arrives on my door in 3 days. So far, everything has been brand spanking new, packed well and fired right up.

The main reason is their website is by far the easiest to navigate and shop on. Id shop there just for that.

Maybe Id be singing a different tune if I had to return anything but so far I havent so Ill continue to shop there.
 
I use newegg for reviews and some hard to find items, but their prices are no longer anything special. I'm buying mostly from Amazon and Tigerdirect. I'm sad to hear that their return policies are going for the worst as well.

I read that they were contemplating going public soon. Kinda odd given that they're regressing on what made them so great in the first place.
 
I use newegg for reviews .

please tell me you were joking when you typed that out

you CANNOT be serious . . . . .

have you ever read newegg reviews? They suck and should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people who never even bought the items are commenting on them!!!

And the reviews bashing the product are usually poorly written reviews from people who had to RMA it and were upset about that

but of course any intelligent person who has dealt with electronics knows the truth about electronics and the RMA process.
 
Still love them, and one of their greatest services is the purchase history, ever have to rma something and have no idea what you did with that receipt, well newegg has all the invoices of everything I've bought from them over the years, I can go back and see how much I paid and when I bought it, and I don't have to worry about saving some piece of paper for years on end.

Still the best if you live in a state next to one of their wharehouses. No tax and I never have to order some overpriced faster method because I know the cheapest one already gets here in 2 days or less.
 
it's all about who has the lowest price at the time of purchase...I never blindly buy from any one site but instead shop around 3-4 of the major online retailers...add up the cost of the product (plus any applicable tax and shipping) along with any combo deals and see who has the lowest price

Newegg still has the lowest prices for PC games 99% of the time...just bought Metro 2033 today through Newegg for $39.99 w/free shipping...all the other major sites (Amazon, Steam) are selling it for $49.99

Nope. He bought the product when they had the 1-3 year policies. Kept track of when the item was discontinued on newegg, and RMA'd it shortly after. As newegg no longer carried the product, they refunded him the original purchase price.
This was prior to the 30 day limited refund policy. So in short he kept upgrading for free by abusing the former return policies.

Newegg used to have a 3 year return policy? :eek:
 
please tell me you were joking when you typed that out

you CANNOT be serious . . . . .

have you ever read newegg reviews? They suck and should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people who never even bought the items are commenting on them!!!

And the reviews bashing the product are usually poorly written reviews from people who had to RMA it and were upset about that

but of course any intelligent person who has dealt with electronics knows the truth about electronics and the RMA process.

Well I check mostly for general impressions and to check if there seems to be an unusually high rate of failure/problems. When you have dozens of seemingly identical products that do something similar, it's good to have some idea of what to expect than buying something blind.
 
Well I check mostly for general impressions and to check if there seems to be an unusually high rate of failure/problems. When you have dozens of seemingly identical products that do something similar, it's good to have some idea of what to expect than buying something blind.
Same here; I don't take their words as holy writ, but it certainly helps give me an idea if I'm walking into an RMA landmine.
 
I am still happy with the costs, i do look around for cheaper prices but i find the savings (because of shipping) to be less then if i just got everything from the egg. Tax doesn't effect me and i am OK with the rebate.

My one upset
I got two ssds at newegg paid around $350. Less then 12 hours latter they went on sale. Had i waited another 12 hours i would have saved $75. What upsets me is that my ssds hadn't even left the warehouse yet. I called them up and asked if i could get the sale, the said no. Because i had paid for them i was stuck. Had i purchased two more at the sale price and returned the other two (with restocking) i would have saved $15. What upsets me is the only advice the man answering the phone could give was to refuse the shipment. Which believe me i was tempted to do. I am OK that i missed the sale, but when my drives hadn't even left the factory it seems odd that i am stuck into owning them.

This is odd, because within the past 6 months this has happened to me twice on the Egg and both times they happily refunded me the difference.
 
I hate the egg now too. I hate that they have more in stock most of the time and I dread ordering from them. All the bullshit denial about fake cpus was kind of the last straw. The icing on that straw is cali sales tax. That and their prices makes them seldom the lowest price on anything.

I also only use them to do research lol. Amazon Prime for the win.
 
Buying PC components, you expect to see anything you buy drop significantly in price... but not within 30 days!!
Most stores have a 30-day price match, and NewEgg themselves used to issue a store credit in such instances.

The last time I called them, it was like pulling teeth. The rep finally agreed to a "ONE TIME" credit, but promised me that it would be my last.

:whatever:

I had the same issue I'm afraid. Price dropped on a case a few days after I got it. They gave me about 50% of the difference and said this is the only time they'll do this. They said they've never had a 30-day price match guarantee. I'm pretty sure I remember otherwise and your post reaffirms my thoughts.

Don't get me started with the dead pixel policy. It's like saying - hey we're going to sell you a brand new item that may be partially broken. You cannot return it unless it's really broken. If I spend $1500 on a TV, it damned well better be flawless! Long story short, I don't buy monitors/TVs from Newegg. :)
 
Don't get me started with the dead pixel policy. It's like saying - hey we're going to sell you a brand new item that may be partially broken. You cannot return it unless it's really broken. If I spend $1500 on a TV, it damned well better be flawless! Long story short, I don't buy monitors/TVs from Newegg. :)

This is why I always try to support the local shops like Fry's and Microcenter. If it's broke you can take it back and get a refund. Better to support your local community then some non-local assholes.
 
Since MC opened up in Brentwood, most of the tech stuff I've bought has been from there.

NE is not what it used to be. It's like they got too cool for everyone and they don't give a crap anymore. Oh well....I'll continue shopping elsewhere then.
 
I've had good experiences with NewEgg. That includes having them (although it is not their policy) match a price for me when an item went on sale and I had already ordered two several days before, and ordered a third during the sale. They credited me the difference back. Maybe they don't do some of the cool things they used to when I started ordering from them around 2000-2001, but they still have been a good vendor for me.

I'll admit that EggSaver shipping is slow as molasses --but I only use it if it is free, and I am not on a deadline. Like most people here, I also factor in shipping into the cost of my purchases. Bitching about a shipping cost is a non-issue. You compare prices (including shipping) and service, and you make your own choice; you are a consumer, not a sheep.

You also have to acknowledge that prices on goods change, like any other commodity. When gasoline at your local Shell station goes up .10/gallon in two weeks, you don't blame them --you look at supply and demand, compare prices, and if they aren't in line with other local stations, you fill up somewhere else. Same with the `Egg; if their price doesn't make sense, I buy from Amazon, or MWave, or ZipZoomFly. Whatever.

Tax is not something the `Egg controls. Once again, make your choice, but don't bitch about something that is not the fault of a retailer. Neither should one bitch about a practice NewEgg has if everyone else has that same practice/policy, unless they're bitching about all retailers having it, and that in general, it is an unfair policy.

While I support this forum, and the website that hosts it, at the end of the day, I buy based on a combination of price and customer support. If the place that has the cheapest price has a history of horrible product support, I'll go to the retailer that has the next highest (or the third highest, and so on) price up the chain that does have support. Several retailers have been good to me --NewEgg is one of them, ZipZoomFly is another, and there are more. I don't buy from NE exclusively, but they have been consistently good with what I have purchased, and consistent service is a big deal to me.

Kyle, I'm guessing you probably have enough website data accumulated to determine what kind of click-thru rate you get on NewEgg links, to know whether their proposed agreement benefits you enough. If it doesn't, I'd either counter-offer their proposal, or politely decline it if it doesn't work out. I do think that dropping their links entirely hurts those here though, so if it doesn't work out, I wouldn't drop the links entirely, I'd just make sure I promoted my sponsors above them --I'm sure everyone here will fully understand that.

P.S. If NewEgg's service to me drops below acceptable levels, like anyone here would, I'll go somewhere else. That's how retail works.
 
Also the whole SHELL SHOCKER things just drives me nuts. I swear sometimes they jack the price on shit up just to pretend they lower the price when the SHELL SHOCKER deal comes out (twice a day...)

As with any sale, or any deal-of-the-day, you have to price check to Amazon and other retailers.

The biggest SHOCK of the Shell Shocker is that the sale price is typically NOT very shocking! ;)
 
I used to buy a lot of stuff from Newegg myself, and like many of you said, it has become a resource spot for me as well. Prices are always going up and down and certain products that I would like, are still at a high price! They used to be great, it's just another store-like place for me...I didn't think Microcenter pricematched Newegg, but if they do, I'll go there more often (it's only like 10-miles away from me).. :)
 
I still buy mostlyexclusively from them, no sales tax, 1 very close distro and another semi close distro, gets me things in 1 or 2 days. Even if it comes from Cali, I usually have it on the 3rd day. I've been using Amazon a bit though lately but mostly for non computer stuff.
 
Kyle, since it seems like a lot of people use Newegg as a reference for hardware, why not create a [H]ardware Wiki with prices displayed from a price aggregator? There would be an upfront cost getting the hardware database built, but I think once a critical mass was reached users or manufacturers would start to contribute the information. In addition to the database, the other thing it would need is a good search engine. Newegg's Power Search is what really makes it my goto reference for finding computer hardware (whether components or prebuilt desktops/laptops.) If you (or someone else) makes a better one that's retailer agnostic, I would be happy to use that instead.

I've got a few other ideas with this I could flesh out if you're really interested.
 
Back
Top