I hate you, Newegg.

I know this thread is about Newegg hate. But since Amazon has been mentioned quite a bit (as a valid competitor to Newegg), I wonder how much Amazon's business will be affected now that they charge tax in a lot more states than a year before coupled with them raising the min. for free delivery by 40% (from $25 to $35). :confused:

I know for me, it means amazon opened a warehouse in Dallas, which means I get stuff next day, even if I don't pay extra for it.

I always ended up paying my taxes anyways, though, so amazon wasn't a plus outside of pricing and shipping speed.

It is pretty awesome for me since they opened in dallas.

I know for me, it means amazon opened a warehouse in Dallas, which means I get stuff next day, even if I don't pay extra for it.

I always ended up paying my taxes anyways, though, so amazon wasn't a plus outside of pricing and shipping speed.

It is pretty awesome for me since they opened in dallas.
That's true that Amazon's free shipping is really fast. I've never had Amazon Prime, but I figure why pay for it when an extra day or 2 of waiting gets me free shipping. (Granted, Prime would help on not having to load up to the $35 level. And you get some movie rentals, similar to Netflix's streaming service, I realize that.)

So, as a TX resident, one has to form a pros/cons list of Newegg and Amazon. (And I guess Tiger Direct as well, but I don't have experience with them.)

Newegg pros: no tax, superior searching/filtering, often free shipping for under $35 orders.
Amazon pros: faster free shipping, possibly more reviews (but not necessarily better), better CS.

The cons would be each other's opposites.

Newegg always gets me my stuff next day no matter what shipping I choose but Amazon takes 5-7 days. I just ordered a EVGA GTX 770 4gb from Amazon and it shows that FedEx got the shipping info and that is it. I used 2 day shipping and and it was supposed to be here yesterday so Amazon refunded my shipping.

No comment. I ordered EVGA GTX780 SC on the 11th and it might get delivered tomorrow.

Edison, NJ to Allentown, PA to Winsor, CT to Westchester County, NY....

Can somebody $%@%@%@%@% explain this to me? No wonder things are deteriorating in this country...

I live 50 miles from the m%#$@$@@$$ing warehouse. It does not compute to me at all.

I already complained and got $10 in credit.

I have very little experience with Amazon but it's been pretty bad luck so far. Order after order late; today UPS dropped my gift of a lamp shade off to my mom (from Amazon) in a crushed box. Of course the thing was destroyed. They did the right thing and set me up for next day air (which equates to next Tuesday at this time of year I guess, or all the time, for all I know, never tried next day air before) but I didn't ask for that I just wanted a replacement because she liked it other than the crushed part. Mostly I just wanted them to put fragile stickers on the box or put something other than brown wrapping paper on top of the item inside.

Newegg would have destroyed that lampshade, too, because their idea of shipment protection isn't any better than that. But they would not have overnighted the replacement at no charge, I would have had to buy another one and pay 70dollars for that kind of shipment. Amazon sends out replacements without charging you unless you send it back damaged or they don't receive it within 30 days.

Then again I had to replace my new monitor this week from NE and they took care of return shipping and I was able to order the replacement with 3 day shipping for an extra 2dollars and rush processing for 4 dollars and I had the new monitor ready for pickup at the UPS warehouse in less than 2 days. First time I ever tried their upgraded shipping tho so I probably just got lucky.

So when did NE start playing audio ads in the background while visiting product pages? I had a few tabs in Chrome open and walked away from my desk at work... came back and a Fabreeze ad was playing (a flash ad on the right side of the page under the price info). Once I located the source, NE tab, I duplicated the behavior on my personal Macbook (just to make sure I didn't download a bug). I'm not sure how I feel about this lol.

Last edited:
I have Amazon Prime, and shop there all the time through the [H] link. HOWEVER, when Amazon does not have something I want, and Newegg does, I'm not waiting around for Amazon to get it in stock.

I just bought $1,200 worth of hardware from Newegg because Aamzon hasn't had what I wanted in stock for weeks.

And that was the first time I bought something from Newegg in a year and a half.

Newegg always gets me my stuff next day no matter what shipping I choose but Amazon takes 5-7 days. I just ordered a EVGA GTX 770 4gb from Amazon and it shows that FedEx got the shipping info and that is it. I used 2 day shipping and and it was supposed to be here yesterday so Amazon refunded my shipping.

great, just got an email from Amazon. They said they screwed up the order and they just reshipped it out yesterday. Now it is coming standard shipping via UPS and it won't be delivered to the 27th. Way to go Amazon.

After my third email back to NE customer service they have offered a 15 dollar gift card. I guess I will take what I can get. My new rule is that if Amazon has it in stock and is close to the NE price, I will take Amazon for my future hardware purchases. The first two emails were just excuse notes explaining the busy holiday shopping season. The third email offered the gift card.... So keep politely complaining and you may get some satisfaction for all the trouble with NE's shipping during the last 6 weeks.

Kid

Lets all cry because the two hundred billion dollar company Amazon is an A while Newegg is an A-.

I've bought new items sold and fulfilled by Amazon that arrived obviously used.
Newegg GENERALLY charges more and I hear horror stories about how they ship HDD. So obviously I should elsewhere for my HDD. SSD I could give a f*.

No company has given me 100% service 100% of the time and I don't expect it. In Newegg crap? Intentionally I doubt it. Although it's reasonable to expect foul ups on occasion. You hear Newegg is HORRID at shipping HDDs yet you still order from them because they are $3 cheaper. No fault of anyone but yourself.

Hey look people hate Amazon too :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-sucks/forum/Fx1E04C1D7W285Z/Tx1ROGOR6UX7MDF/1?asin=0792107128

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still use newegg and try to always pay with PayPal. Return policies mean nothing when you initiate a PayPal dispute. :)

Lets all cry because the two hundred billion dollar company Amazon is an A while Newegg is an A-.

I've bought new items sold and fulfilled by Amazon that arrived obviously used.
Newegg GENERALLY charges more and I hear horror stories about how they ship HDD. So obviously I should elsewhere for my HDD. SSD I could give a f*.

No company has given me 100% service 100% of the time and I don't expect it. In Newegg crap? Intentionally I doubt it. Although it's reasonable to expect foul ups on occasion. You hear Newegg is HORRID at shipping HDDs yet you still order from them because they are $3 cheaper. No fault of anyone but yourself.

Hey look people hate Amazon too :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-sucks/forum/Fx1E04C1D7W285Z/Tx1ROGOR6UX7MDF/1?asin=0792107128

Wow, I'm surprised Amazon allows such a thread. :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thought I'd add my recent experience to this thread. Been looking for an ASUS 29" display for a while. Happened to see an open box in stock on Newegg at a nice amount of savings and ordered it.

It came yesterday with the screen cracked and the display completely non-functional :(

It was missing a piece of styrofoam that was supposed to go around the monitor. Instead whoever packaged it put it in the box with the screen facing the outside of the box. The only thing between the screen and the cardboard was a small piece of bubble wrap.

Of course I issued an RMA right away. It wanted me to pay for return shipping so I called them up and asked for a return label. They sent one to me that but according to the rep they won't refund the $9 shipping I paid when I bought it, just the base price of the item. I totally understand you take a risk when you buy open box but for me to eat $9 because they didn't package it correctly is insane. I'll definitely be calling back to complain about that.

I do have to say, even with some bad packaging snafus (and the fact I had to complain about not getting the $25 Gift Card, just to find out they forgot to issue it), everything is working fine so far... And I hope it continues to do so. lol.. I don't want to go through RMAs!

I'm just glad nothing was DOA.

I submitted my email complaining about my recent Newegg order. It has been 24 hours and no response as of yet.....

Kid

Ya, zero response for me as well. I had the worst experience with them that I've ever had trying to use an AMX gift card on their site.... two calls and one chat later I'm left with no purchase and a 3-7 business day wait for the hold on the AMX funds to release so I can actually use the card. I thought my complaint would have at least netted me a canned response... never expected to be completely being ignored.

Ya, zero response for me as well. I had the worst experience with them that I've ever had trying to use an AMX gift card on their site.... two calls and one chat later I'm left with no purchase and a 3-7 business day wait for the hold on the AMX funds to release so I can actually use the card. I thought my complaint would have at least netted me a canned response... never expected to be completely being ignored.
It's frustrating when you do something on the website that can't be undone without a wait/hold time. Particularly if it's an issue on their side. They have their systems in place and if your issue falls outside of easy reach for them, well, get in line. Believe me I've been there when my only line of credit is not tapped but fudged and I just have to sit on my hands and watch a good deal go by. It's just not any different at any other etailer on this kinda stuff. What pisses me off is the rate at which I get used/returned/refurbished/defective items from Newegg and the poor quality of the shipping.

I don't have any "they are breaking my returns" stories, but it's a constant thing with the other stuff I mentioned. Gets old. I have worse luck with Amazon so what can you do when you want something that can't be easily got anywhere else? Pay and pray. If anyone tried to do a better job than Newegg or Amazon for cheaper they would never get off the ground. So a service that I would actually like to see is an "executive" type Newegg or Amazon tier or a competitor with HUGE selection that ONLY deals directly with manufacturers and charges good money for being a liaison between you and the red tape--not *&%#@ drones... Give me a personal delivery guy I can trust because it's the same guy year after year.

I ordered from NewEgg and Amazon Sunday and had both places ship me my items Free 2 Day Shipping.

Amazon shipped with UPS 2 DAY shipping, estimated delivery Thursday this week.
NewEgg shipped with UPS Ground, estimated delivery Friday this week.

So much for shoprunner. Also for those that are thinking that I should have bought on amazon, the motherboard and psu was not better priced at Amazon nor was it free shipping.

I am not surprised and really don't feel like wasting my time talking to newegg CS.

Doing my research for a new build so I headed over to NewEgg. I added probably 4k worth of stuff to my wishlist for my new computer. I go to log back in over the weekend and find out that my account has been suspended. So I call them up this morning and talk to a very unhelpful and smug CSR about it. She places me on hold for a few minutes and comes back to let me know that she has no idea why and that she would escalate it up to the correct department. She said that I should receive an email within an hour - that was 5 hours ago. Also told me to hold the line at the end of the call for a brief survey at which point she hung up on me.

F you NewEgg after reading all the complaints and dealing with your less that Eggcelant CSR's I will spend my money elsewhere! It's a shame really since you used to be my go to online etailer...

Last edited:
I bought a video card that came with the Nvidia bundle, at which time I signed up for the ShopRunner trial for the 2 day free shipping, only to find out that ONLY the bundle was covered. I decided to pay the $4 for the 3 business day shipping and placed the order last Friday. The video card showed up the following Monday.

I'm still waiting for the item that I got free 2-day shipping. According to tracking, it reached Indianapolis today after sitting in the New Jersey warehouse for 4 days.

Way to go NewEgg.

I ordered from NewEgg and Amazon Sunday and had both places ship me my items Free 2 Day Shipping.

Amazon shipped with UPS 2 DAY shipping, estimated delivery Thursday this week.
NewEgg shipped with UPS Ground, estimated delivery Friday this week.

So much for shoprunner. Also for those that are thinking that I should have bought on amazon, the motherboard and psu was not better priced at Amazon nor was it free shipping.

I am not surprised and really don't feel like wasting my time talking to newegg CS.

Wasn't free shipping with Prime?

I have always a bad experience I ended up creating a FCC case with them for not keeping up with our contract (policy agreement)

So I felt like ranting about the fall of the mighty Egg - figured this was as good a place as any. Asked for gift cards to Amazon for Xmas so I could buy some expensive, but frivolous items I've had my eye upon. Long story short - my aging parents don't get the modern world, and they still think I love the Egg :) So I got some cash to blow at Newegg.

I purchase a few items from amazon, and two in stock items from newegg. Both on Saturday morning. Immediately after placing the Amazon order, I get 1) an order confirmation email, and 2) a shipping confirmation a few hours later. On Monday at 11AM - the Amazon items arrived at my doorstep.

MEANWHILE - with the 2 day shipping I paid for at the Egg... TODAY (Thursday morning), I got the "your order has been shipped" email with an estimated delivery date of Monday.

8 days to Amazon's 2 - and that crossed over a Sunday. Honestly, Amazon would have had every right to deliver that package on say, Tuesday for 2 day shipping. Nope, we'll get that out right away sir, and have it shipped over the weekend, and ON YOUR DOORSTEP first thing Monday morning. Meanwhile the Egg is passed out in a lavoratory stall with a heroin needle stuck in his arm...

Oh ya, and the items at the Egg were roughly $10 more expensive ea. than Zon. My my my, how the mighty have fallen... :(

Last edited:
So I felt like ranting about the fall of the mighty Egg - figured this was as good a place as any. Asked for gift cards to Amazon for Xmas so I could buy some expensive, but frivolous items I've had my eye upon. Long story short - my aging parents don't get the modern world, and they still think I love the Egg :) So I got some cash to blow at Newegg.

I purchase a few items from amazon, and two in stock items from newegg. Both on Saturday morning. Immediately after placing the Amazon order, I get 1) an order confirmation email, and 2) a shipping confirmation a few hours later. On Monday at 11AM - the Amazon items arrived at my doorstep.

MEANWHILE - with the 2 day shipping I paid for at the Egg... TODAY (Thursday morning), I got the "your order has been shipped" email with an estimated delivery date of Monday.

8 days to Amazon's 2 - and that crossed over a Sunday. Honestly, Amazon would have had every right to deliver that package on say, Tuesday for 2 day shipping. Nope, we'll get that out right away sir, and have it shipped over the weekend, and ON YOUR DOORSTEP first thing Monday morning. Meanwhile the Egg is passed out in a laboratory stall with a heroin needle stuck in his arm...

Oh ya, and the items at the Egg were roughly $10 more expensive ea. than Zon. My my my, how the mighty have fallen... :(

My experience was the same with newegg. :mad:
Oh well. Just ordered a SSD last night at 9pm from Amazon for my wife's laptop because her mechanical drive died. It is out for delivery today! I still don't understand how you order something at 9pm last night and receive it literally the next day. It's possible it won't be over 18 hours from order to receiving shipment. At this point I'd beg amazon to take my $79 yearly prime payment to keep it.

I'm surprised this thread is alive. I didn't know people still bought things from NewEgg.

My experience was the same with newegg. :mad:
Oh well. Just ordered a SSD last night at 9pm from Amazon for my wife's laptop because her mechanical drive died. It is out for delivery today! I still don't understand how you order something at 9pm last night and receive it literally the next day. It's possible it won't be over 18 hours from order to receiving shipment. At this point I'd beg amazon to take my $79 yearly prime payment to keep it.

Sounds like you're lucky enough to have a warehouse close by with the item in stock. Even so, they must have a truck pickup local shipments first thing in the morning, for them to be able to sort & deliver them that same day.

Sounds like you're lucky enough to have a warehouse close by with the item in stock. Even so, they must have a truck pickup local shipments first thing in the morning, for them to be able to sort & deliver them that same day.

Just received item 2pm. 17 hours from order to door. Not too shabby.

The Iron Egg Guarantee has fallen. I was looking for a Canon PowerShot SX280 and Amazon had it for $184.99 I always liked Newegg and using PayPal there so I thought I would see if the Iron Egg Guarantee would match the price, they wanted $239 on the Egg ,so I sent them the links and the reply that came back 2 DAYS later was "Sorry, we can't price match that, it's less than what we pay for it"
They didn't even offer a lower price !
It used to be my Favorite store years ago, now they just suck !

I just made an order to newegg.ca for a HD, RAM, video card, Blue-Ray burner, CPU heatsink and power supply last month.

I don't really care that much who I order from as long as they have what I want and for reasonable prices. I've also ordered from Infonec, Cendirect, Shoprbc, Canadacomputers etc. (and use shopbot.ca to find prices).

FWIW, ResllerRatings.com shows much better ratings for Newegg (8.52) than Amazon (4.9).

When I purchased my video card in November, a discount offer came out two days after ordering. Contacted Newegg and they offered to extend me the discount even though I didn't qualify. I have always loved Newegg and their service.

FWIW, ResllerRatings.com shows much better ratings for Newegg (8.52) than Amazon (4.9).

you also have 100x more amazon users than newegg, and guess who posts reviews people who are peeved. amazon has always helped me out whenever there was a problem, can't say the same for newegg

Back