• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

I hate Linux

Fixed VM compatability with my own compile :) So now I have BFS, Kraken and Virtual working *yay*
Definitely see higher stable cpu usage compared to CFS and Kraken on its own. Could of course be a placebo affect of using 11.04
 
Last edited:
could be slightly better, but it's negligible. My TPF is a bit erratic anyway since I actually use this rig, but I did not notice any difference in average TPF after losing BFS

Any benefit of BFS, if any, is not worth the trade off of losing VM compatibility, that's for 100% sure.

Agreed. I now realise it was BFS mucking up my Virtualbox experiment, and am currently trying again to install Windows as a guest.

I also did a fresh 11.04 Ubuntu install, so was able to bench: (all with Krakken on captured unit on Sr2#2 at 4.255Ghz)

BFS Ubuntu 10.10 = frame time on 6901 bench of 9min:39sec.
Ubuntu stock 11.04 = frame time on 6901 bench of 9min:43sec.
11.04 updated to 2.6.39 kernel = 9min:44sec

If I can run a Win7 VM for rendering with half decent performance, then the 5 second penalty is meaningless.
 
You guys keep mucking up everything by trying to actually use your machines for something useful besides FAH... :)

Seriously though, the only real issues we have seen have been related to vitualization, and I suspect the majority of people looking in this forum would have no need for virtualization. If that is the case, then BFS is still the way to go on a 24 core machine.

I find it ironic how much virtualization technology has worked its way into DC...I never saw that one coming...
 
Fixed VM compatability with my own compile :) So now I have BFS, Kraken and Virtual working *yay*
Definitely see higher stable cpu usage compared to CFS and Kraken on its own. Could of course be a placebo affect of using 11.04

so your going to write a script for others right.... ;)
 
Agreed. I now realise it was BFS mucking up my Virtualbox experiment, and am currently trying again to install Windows as a guest.

I also did a fresh 11.04 Ubuntu install, so was able to bench: (all with Krakken on captured unit on Sr2#2 at 4.255Ghz)

BFS Ubuntu 10.10 = frame time on 6901 bench of 9min:39sec.
Ubuntu stock 11.04 = frame time on 6901 bench of 9min:43sec.
11.04 updated to 2.6.39 kernel = 9min:44sec

If I can run a Win7 VM for rendering with half decent performance, then the 5 second penalty is meaningless.

My Windows server install seems to be working quite well.
 
Back
Top