I guess Valve doesn't care about their fans.. I want Half Life Ep 3!

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Episode_Three
http://lambdageneration.com/posts/what-became-of-the-hl3-protest/

A week ago, two brave Half-Life fans committed the ultimate sacrifice – they decided to spend two days they could have spent playing Half-Life, picketing outside of Valve. These brave heroes endured 48 hours in the scorching Bellevue sun, knowing that inside the building that lay in front of them, Valve employees could be talking about, developing, or, god forbid, play-testing Half-Life 3.

But what happened when Gabe came along and spoke with the protesters? What did he tell them? Did we ever see them again?

Well, obviously we did see them, but let’s move on. Gabe Newell spoke to Kotaku about this little protest, which may or may not be Valve’s very first.
:eek:

I finally had the time to play through Half Life 2 - Ep 1 and 2 and I am pissed they just left the games story hanging in the air for 4 years now

I don't know about that plenty of people bought the games.
They made a good bit of coin off the sells.

I'm guessing the thread title is a joke? It seems like Valve treated them pretty well, with the pizza and tour and all. Also the cop being a HL fan was cool :cool:

They got free soda and pizza, a tour around Valve's office and a hands on DotA2... I need to go protest too!

Valve is planning half-life 3 very carefully. It is still no where to close to be done.

Most likely half-life 3 is going to have a whole new engine that value is making.

Just think of half-life 2, when the hacker hacked into value and leaked their half-life 2. Most of it was not done.

Valve been doing other projects while figuring out the plan for half-life 3.

Half-life is prob the most important game valve cares about doing it right.

SP focused FPSs don't sell

/thread

lol yeah , just like Half Life didn't sell or HL2 or Crysux for that matter....:rolleyes:

Its probably taking them so long because there going to release Counterstrike 2 with it. Just like they did with HL2. And I'm not talking about that Global Offensive console game.

lol yeah , just like Half Life didn't sell or HL2 or Crysux for that matter....:rolleyes:

Or Metro 2033. Apparently it not only sold, but sold well enough to warrant a sequel that is coming soon. That one was pure SP as well, no MP option at all, not even a token one.

HL and HL2 was years ago which in technology culture terms means thousands of years ago. Crysis didn't sell that well on PC, piracy was blamed as always.

Today gamers have a lot of different ways to spend their time and spending millions (and let's not kid ourselves, HL3 development would cost millions) on a single player story is a huge risk.

Or Metro 2033. Apparently it not only sold, but sold well enough to warrant a sequel that is coming soon. That one was pure SP as well, no MP option at all, not even a token one.

Metro ended up selling for like $2.50 on Steam, which was still enough for the Russian dev to make money because if you live there in the boonies you can feed a family of 12 on a dollar for a month.

HL and HL2 was years ago which in technology culture terms means thousands of years ago. Crysis didn't sell that well on PC, piracy was blamed as always.

Today gamers have a lot of different ways to spend their time and spending millions (and let's not kid ourselves, HL3 development would cost millions) on a single player story is a huge risk.

Crysis sold over 3 MILLION copies on the PC. That is better than doing well. Crytek are just a bunch of whiny little bitches that expect everyone to suck their dicks and call them God for delivering a game with that only offered good graphics and nothing else.

Metro ended up selling for like $2.50 on Steam, which was still enough for the Russian dev to make money because if you live there in the boonies you can feed a family of 12 on a dollar for a month.

You're actually incorrect.

Hahaha...
The protesters claimed that their picketing was not meant to be a serious protest but rather a joke; they just had free time on their hands, and felt like "chillin', maxin' relaxin' all cool" outside of Valve.

Hmmm...maybe I should go protest outside of the Playboy mansion...:cool:
drool.gif

There is no episode 3. Newell said months ago that Valve was done with the "episodic content model"...all two attempts Valve made at it.

looking back all the rushed half-assed titles that have come through in the last couple years I've given up even being mad about it.

It will get here when it gets here.

I'd love to see the sales figures for Deus Ex:HR as everyone seems to be going nuts for it.

Valve is planning half-life 3 very carefully. It is still no where to close to be done.
Well in fairness they fucked up, the whole point of the episodic content was for faster releases,which failed miserably. Also there was supposed to be a 3rd ep.

Most likely half-life 3 is going to have a whole new engine that value is making.

Almost definately not the case, the whole point of the source engine was to negate having to make a new engine every few years as it could be updated with ease.

Just think of half-life 2, when the hacker hacked into value and leaked their half-life 2. Most of it was not done.

Valve been doing other projects while figuring out the plan for half-life 3.

Half-life is prob the most important game valve cares about doing it right.

Wrong, Tf2 is. It has become their cash cow and that's where their priory lies

You're actually incorrect.

You probably failed to detect satire. Of course you can't feed 12 people for a month on a dollar in Russia, but the point still stands that the profit requirements of a Russian developer are significantly lower (by orders of magnitude) than the profit requirements of Valve.

You probably failed to detect satire. Of course you can't feed 12 people for a month on a dollar in Russia, but the point still stands that the profit requirements of a Russian developer are significantly lower (by orders of magnitude) than the profit requirements of Valve.

No, incorrect in saying HL3 would be a huge risk. It would sell even if it was sub-par. Incorrect in saying Crysis didn't sell well (3+ million retail sales).

People buy up SP games just as much as they used to. The contrast is that CoD style games sell more copies than anyone ever dreamed of.

Metro 2033 was awesome! Just recently finished it.

To be fair though, success is somewhat relative. Half-Life 3 would need to sell significantly more (as well be better critical and fan received) than Crysis 2, much less Metro 2033, to be considered a successful due to past history and expectations. This is the added pressure when it comes to a game like Half-Life 3.

No, incorrect in saying HL3 would be a huge risk. It would sell even if it was sub-par. Incorrect in saying Crysis didn't sell well (3+ million retail sales).

People buy up SP games just as much as they used to. The contrast is that CoD style games sell more copies than anyone ever dreamed of.

... and that is what investors want.
Valve is privately held, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people looking at the numbers and making decisions based on those.

Why invest very limited time in something that will only sell 3 million copies if you could use the same time to work on something that will sell 30 million copies.

Scorching Bellevue sun? The story sounds fake already.

I believe it got up to a scorching 80 degrees last Friday. When you're used to the grim permafrost of the Pacific Northwest, 80 degrees in the sun can feel like being lain to burnination!

Valve is privately held, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people looking at the numbers and making decisions based on those.

Why invest very limited time in something that will only sell 3 million copies if you could use the same time to work on something that will sell 30 million copies.

you don't know the facts, that's the problem. they've been selling three or four games from that same genre/platform for years now at anywhere from $9.99 to $19.99 per download. With little overhead (no stores to pay for like gamestop) and no ongoing investment (developers who made the game might still be there, but they sure as hell aren't still going full force on development).

My point is it's all cream at this point, completely free money to them.

Also, in their defense, they've done a few good things. Made TF2 free to play, released plenty of DLC, etc.

you don't know the facts, that's the problem
The fact is that there is no HL3 (yet). If it were such an immensely profitable and sure deal don't you think they would have developed it by now, even running on the old engine since everyone says it's about the story anyway?

Reality proves that whatever it is they are spending their time on is more profitable than they think HL3 would be.

Every company is profit driven to some extent, but anyone who thinks that money is the reason we haven't seen anything HL related in the past years just hasn't been paying attention. Of course they want their games to sell, but ultimately they work on what they want when they want to. That's why we got Portal 2 instead of Episode 3. There was a stronger desire by all accounts internally to do more with Portal.

I'm happy to wait. They're obviously building a new engine and are going to blow everyone's face off with Half life 3 just like they did with HL1 & 2.

they are visionary developers and I have faith.

I think it was really nice that Gabe took the time to go outside and meet them, get them pizza, have a tour arranged for them and let them test a game. Who does that? (And I must point out, he didn't try to eat them.) :p

Not all musicians use autotune, not all writers write Harry Potter, not all movies are Transformers 3, not all hamburgers are McDonalds. Some people do it because they are talented and enjoy what they do, with the added bonus that their games DO sell.

My buddy showed me this the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

Which drove me to watch the City 17 videos. Which then made me re-install HL2 which I hadn't done since getting a new hard drive.

Whenever Valve releases a new game to HL, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Just as long as it's before another Left 4 Dead. Then I'll be real pissed.

lolwut? Pussies.

Meh, it did get a little hot up here in the last week. And ANY time we see sun, it's scorching :)

That said, I gave up hope for episode 3, gabe got hungry and ate it, CVS, documentation and all. I'd preorder it as soon as a date is announced, but this is valve. I took them 6 years for HL2, right? The same valve that released the turd that is EP1?

I've been deployed to the Middle East twice and stationed here in Arizona for the past five years. If you think Bellevue, Washington is hot...you have no idea what hot is.

I've been deployed to the Middle East twice and stationed here in Arizona for the past five years. If you think Bellevue, Washington is hot...you have no idea what hot is.

I guess they were Canadians...

But the fact is, it has only been over 80 degrees 5-6 days this entire summer here. This would be considered odd.

I guess they were Canadians...

But the fact is, it has only been over 80 degrees 5-6 days this entire summer here. This would be considered odd.

80? We've hit 100 a couple times in Minnesota this summer. Our entire summer average is going to be over 80 if not approaching 90. I think I need to move to Washington if you guys consider over 80 a couple times odd. How are your winters?

Back