I got some mods installed..Need some advice...

ahmadka

Limp Gawd
Hi guys! I recently got some A. C. Ryan mods to decorate my PC with...they were mainly light mods..Anyways, here are a few pictures concerning the questions below them..have a look :) :

Now the questions:

1) I need tips on how to how the hide the inverters from the view... (See the second picture above)

2) Should the two fans (on the window) be blowing the air into the casing, or out of the casing ? Right now, both are set to be blowing into the casing... I am thinking that maybe the bottom fan should pump air into the casing, while the top one should be pumping it out. This way, the air would be moving from the lower front-middle part of the casing, to the top middle-back part of the casing. Also, air would be passing over the CPU and GPU at the same time...

3) Another problem I am facing is that the screws that came with the fans, are not 'screwing in' !!! This is because the hole does not have the diagonal 'lines' on it, which allow the screw to 'screw in'...I tried hammering the thing in, but that didnt help. The only solution I can think of is maybe trying to drill it into the hole using a power drill machine, very slowly...What are your views on this ? Am I missing some key point ? (See the third picture above)

4) I also have an LED canon light (not shown in any of the pictures) which I need to place somewhere, inside or outside the casing...Where do you suggest will it look best ?

Thanx in advance guys...

1. Hide the inverters using 2 sided tape (put them in an empty 3.5 or 5.25 bay or along the side of the case)
2. Typically you would want side panel fans blowing air into the case. What are the other fans in your case doing?
3. Fan screw holes do not come tapped. You have to apply a little pressure when screwing the screws in and it will go in fine. Do not hammer them in.
4. Can you provide a link to what this light is? I don't know what it is

As far as where to put the inverters, two sided tape works well. For placement, look at your case and just imagine. 3.5 or 5.25 inch bays work well, but there are other locations that could work too. Keep in mind though, that you want to place it somewhere that does not interfere with airflow, or become a hassle when you try to take your computer apart.

Side fans should blow in, like vtx_ said. Top fans or rear fans should blow out. A front fan should blow in.

And vtx_ is right again, fan screw holes aren't tapped (which is the diagonal line thing that you are talking about). Pressure when screwing in is best, but I've encountered fans that had some interesting plastic coupled with screws that seemed a bit larger than usual. The way I fixed this problem was to place the fan on the floor, screw the screw in first to create the threads, do this for each of the 4 screw holes, and then install the fan into my case. With the threads in there, it will be very easy to install them in your case when perhaps leverage isn't the best.

Lastly, the light cannon to my recollection is just an LED that taps into a molex connector (whether it is 12V or 5V, I'm not sure and it could vary depending on light I'd imagine). Experiment with different positions to determine what works best, or maybe view other people's cases to see what you like, don't like, etc and work accordingly.

Good luck!

OK, regarding the inverters...the thing is that the wires connecting the PCI bracket (with the on/off switch) with the inverter itself are too short (the same also applies for the cathode--inverter connecting wire)...i need to connect the PCI bracket as well, for which the wire is too short i think...

the two things i can think of are, that i either hide the inverters directly underneath the 7900GT card, which is probably not wise, as the heat from the inverter could potentially heat up the card :(....or, i cud try extending the wires myself, which i have never done so far :p...

regarding the screws....well, think i applied a lot of force that day, to try and weave the thread in the plastic....it just didn't...the screw kept getting stuck :(....i will try to give it another go tomorrow maybe :p

I also took the time out to take some more pictures of the mods in their installed state, to provide you lot with some more perspective :) ....

Extending the wires isn't difficult, and just requires some heatshrink, wire, solder, and a soldering iron. If you know of any electronics guys, they should be able to do this without a problem. Back in the day, I used to do this by just cutting and stripping wire, twisting it together, and using electrical tape. I don't really recommend that though since that isn't the proper way.

If you don't feel comfortable extending the wire, then just deal with what you have (or have someone else do it).

In looking at those pictures you added (which are very helpful, so thank you), I'd try to extend those wires.

yeah, i also think i need to extend the wires, since everything looks so cluttered in there right now :(....could you just outline the basic steps for extending the wire the proper way, cuz i have never done this before :) .... Also, any other information would be really helpful too, like what kind of wire am I looking for here, etc...

and your welcome for the pictures :)

yeah, i also think i need to extend the wires, since everything looks so cluttered in there right now :(....could you just outline the basic steps for extending the wire the proper way, cuz i have never done this before :) .... Also, any other information would be really helpful too, like what kind of wire am I looking for here, etc...

and your welcome for the pictures :)

help...

Instead of typing out an entire guide on how to solder right now, I'd rather just ask you to google "How to Solder" and start reading.

In a nutshell, get some 18ga wire.

Cut your wire.

Cut the desired length of wire to be added from the 18ga wire.

Strip all ends to be attached

Tin them with solder

Slip heatshrink over the wires, you'll need two on each wire.

Solder the wires together.

Slide the heatshrink over the solder joints.

Apply heat (hot air gun, a lighter can work in a pinch) to shrink the heatshrink.

All done.

One thing you shouldn't do: have one fan blowing in and the other blowing out.

If you do that air will mostly travel between fans and will not go over your computer components and won't cool them

thanx for the reply guys.....but tell me, is there any way to extend the wire without having to use a solder, since i dont have one ?...

Yeah, you can just tie the wires together, but that's not very neat and can cause problems (i.e. one of the wires comes apart).

Back