I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Thanks, I love the red and black as well. I do believe that the covering on the motherboard is purely aesthetic unfortunately, and doesn't serve a functional purpose. I do plan on painting the interior black at some point. I just received the case yesterday, and had to be ready for the Midwest Lan tomorrow so I was a bit rushed.

It looks pretty fantastic for being rushed. I've never had the patience for coaxing the power and data cables into something resembling being controlled, just more or less out of the way of the airflow.

The Seasonic X series is ridiculously quiet, and the fan almost never spins up. The only time I have been able to get the fan on it to run is prime 95 torture test at 4.8. So far, I have been very pleased with the noise level of the case. Although, I do tend to hear some hard drive noise from time to time.

I do have a completely bizarre issue that is pissing me off though. Touching the front of the case will occasionally shock it with static (Carpeted Office), and this causes the computer to lock up! I have removed the front panel to check for the static shock issue, and it doesn't happen. I have done some other minor troubleshooting so far, but I am a bit puzzled by the whole thing. A shock in any other location doesn't cause any problems.

Thanks for your answer, my next PS it was a X560.

About the silence:
I do not understand, is because many users change the original fans of the box, I seem quiet and effective. I am of those who cares much the sound of the chosen components.

The Seasonic X series is ridiculously quiet, and the fan almost never spins up. The only time I have been able to get the fan on it to run is prime 95 torture test at 4.8. So far, I have been very pleased with the noise level of the case. Although, I do tend to hear some hard drive noise from time to time.

I do have a completely bizarre issue that is pissing me off though. Touching the front of the case will occasionally shock it with static (Carpeted Office), and this causes the computer to lock up! I have removed the front panel to check for the static shock issue, and it doesn't happen. I have done some other minor troubleshooting so far, but I am a bit puzzled by the whole thing. A shock in any other location doesn't cause any problems.

We had the same issue on a machine at the shop here. Turned out the finish on the PSU wasn't letting it contact the case properly thus preventing it from grounding. We sanded off a bit of finish around the screw holes and the issue went away.

We had the same issue on a machine at the shop here. Turned out the finish on the PSU wasn't letting it contact the case properly thus preventing it from grounding. We sanded off a bit of finish around the screw holes and the issue went away.

Yeah people often forget the case has to have metal on metal contact with the PSU's metal body at some point. Usually the screws are enough unless there is a paint in the screw holes.

My Coolermaster Silent Pro has a silicone gasket around the front of the PSU where it contacts the frame to reduce vibrational noise so I I have to rely on the screws for grounding.

Hi Guys,

Would there be any problem with cramming all of the below into this case?

2600k + board (not decided)
H50 / H70?
two WD 1tb black hdds
750w corsair
6 / 12 gb ram

cheers

One thing to check is PSU cables (NOT) bumping into the memory ... other than that it's not cramming, it's barely 50% fill ratio ;)

One thing to check is PSU cables (NOT) bumping into the memory ... other than that it's not cramming, it's barely 50% fill ratio ;)

I'd say 90% of PSUs fit. It's just the really abnormally non-standard giant sized longer ones that ever have this problem. There's an easy fix by adding spacers on the PSU holding bracket on the front. There should still be enough room between that and the front of the front panel.

I just got mine, but hot air is building up inside. I'm thinking of turning around the front fan so that both are blowing in. Anything else I can do?

if you turn around the front you will be intaking hot air from the psu and also you will be left with no exhaust.

there are a couple of thing you can do to remedy this problem:

1. get higher cfm fans
2. buy replacement top panel with blow hole
3. mod the top panel yourself

I've done the 3rd one myself and it makes this case amazing.

The T-LM14B-2 and top panel BS-06 make all the difference in the world in this case, in my opinion, the top panel moreso than anything.

The temporary solution is to remove the entire front panel, it is more constricting than most people believe. However, once you get the top panel with the blowhole, it solves all the problems with hot air building up in this case. I don't know why it doesn't come as a default option!

If it's getting too hot and until you find another solution, use the case without the front panel on. You'll be surprised how much it helps. Before I got my blowhole, my PSU fan used to ramp up a lot because of all the hot air building in the case and it was clearly audible and annoying until I took off the front panel because it was choking the PSU exhaust. When I took the front panel off, the PSU fan stopped ramping up. The same goes for the 120mm fan in front of the harddrives. When the only exhaust is a low-flow Lian Li Yate Loon fan that is already blocked by 3 harddrives and then further blocked by a front panel with very few vents (the total area of the exhaust if you count up all the tiny vents on the side is only about the same as a 60mm fan), then you have a problem.

Higher CFM fans won't help as much because air will still have to fight to get out the front of the case which is also the path of most resistance (cables, harddrives, 90° turn inside a PSU packed full of components, etc.) and then a suffocating front panel. This case needs the top fan like you wouldn't believe unless you are running a low power machine.

If you get the blowhole top panel, you'll also notice that even with the fan off (mine is on fan controller), that heat naturally comes out of the thing at a pretty good rate just passively. If you have a positive pressure case and heat in your system, a heat pocket will naturally build there and hot air will naturally rise out of the case at a decent rate, even without a fan. That just goes to show how desperately this case needs the top hole.

Last edited:
Listen to Spare-Flair. The biggest problem with this case isn't intake, but exhaust. The front panel is so damn restrictive any warm air struggles to make its way out and ends up building up in your the case suffocating itself. The top exhaust should not be an option but more so a requirement if you plan to maximize this case. I'm currently running my A05N without the front panel until I get my hands on the BS-06 and can share similar experiences with Spare-Flare so every bit of advice he gives is totally legit.

Listen to Spare-Flair. The biggest problem with this case isn't intake, but exhaust. The front panel is so damn restrictive any warm air struggles to make its way out and ends up building up in your the case suffocating itself. The top exhaust should not be an option but more so a requirement if you plan to maximize this case. I'm currently running my A05N without the front panel until I get my hands on the BS-06 and can share similar experiences with Spare-Flare so every bit of advice he gives is totally legit.

The BS-06 basically serves to add another 140mm intake (not as efficient because of the small slots) to the back which helps balance the intake/exhaust of the case (if your videocard exhausts out the back, it might recycle hot air though - but the fan is reversible) or give you positive pressure when you add the top panel. The guy who posted looking for help should be looking for the T-LM14B-2 Top Panel. If you see one, buy it, because they might be out of production soon as Lian Li is making a new A05 that is designed very differently.

tlm14b2b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the help. Do they happen to make a silver version? My case is silver. Does any place sell the black side panels and front cover as well?

Wow, thanks for the help. Do they happen to make a silver version? My case is silver. Does any place sell the black side panels and front cover as well?

Unfortunately, I've never seen a silver version and I don't think they produce one. I don't know of any place to buy front panels either and I have been looking for awhile. Maybe if you contact Lian Li's distributor in the US? I would like to buy a front panel myself for modding purposes. I didn't like the power buttons on the front or the LEDs. For now, I took them all out. I'd like a solid front panel with my own vents cut out of it if possible. I've seen someone make a new front panel themselves though as it's pretty easy. It's just a piece of aluminum with two folded sides.

The side panels from a few other black Lian Li cases will fit the A05 but I can't recall exactly which ones right now. You can buy those. There is another side panel but I forget the part number and I don't think it's in production anymore but it will fit the A05 and it is available in silver and could provide additional venting.

g50silveral3.jpg

To be honest, if you really want a matching case, maybe painting the silver one would be your best bet. The other option is stripping the annodizing from the the top cover but that would be more difficult. A black cover on a silver case wouldn't look all that bad actually. Perhaps you could do something interesting like have some black drives or drive bay covers in the front and then have a silver and black style case with a black top panel and black drives?

a05blacksilver.jpg

The easiest option for you though, is to cut your own blowhole in your top panel. Go back through this thread, there are a lot of people who cut their own blowholes or used the top panels and side panels from different Lian Li cases with the A05.

Last edited:
any new info/new pics of the a05fn? some guy posted it a further while back but its gone (i think it was LL representative?)

Also can some draw me how i should get my airflow going? I'm thinking intake from the back, exhaust out the top and front. Then there's question of the BS-06/08 fan attachments to help the GPU, is it needed and if so, as an intake or exhaust?

Is there plexiglass or something on there or is it just a hole right now? Looks really nice, I was thinking about going white with my next A05, but I'm still going back and forth between powder coating and anodizing. What else do you have planned for it since you said it's a wip.

White is nice!!

Anyone recomend some mods for mine. So far

Shortened motherboard down
Window cut
USB on the front bottom

Anything else?

Trying to make it open as possible in there. Am using an external water setup but pump and res are to be encased.

White is nice!!

Anyone recomend some mods for mine. So far

Shortened motherboard down
Window cut
USB on the front bottom

Anything else?

Trying to make it open as possible in there. Am using an external water setup but pump and res are to be encased.

When you say shorten the motherboard down, do you mean get a uATX mobo?

I'm using a uATX H67 motherboard in my PC-A05NB (was the only mobo in stock at newegg when I ordered my 2500k). I like micro atx, but I really don't see the advantage. IF ANYTHING, it's a disadvantage, since GPU placement is important in this case, along with everything else. I assume you weren't going to take a set of tin snips to the board or anything.

I've been looking around, investigating cable sleeving. Sleeved cables + the A05 equals something pretty awesome. I was considering ordering some sleeving and a molex pin remover, but I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

I've been looking around, investigating cable sleeving. Sleeved cables + the A05 equals something pretty awesome. I was considering ordering some sleeving and a molex pin remover, but I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

if you have patience and time then do it

also if you got modular psu make sure you get a second set of cables to reference/using when you sleeve the other one

I have a Seasonic X-650, and I was under the impression that I could straight order a new set from Seasonic. That's basically the only way I'd do it. I'd be pissed if I spent 8 hours doing one modular cable just to realize that I had screwed up and reversed two wires. Plus, I figure if I were to do the whole X650 cable set then they'd be good for years to come, through multiple seasonic PSU changes.

What tool did you use to remove the pins?

Btw seasonic cables are not all that great, compared to corsair AX, which are all black with black connectors. If you want to do your own custom sleeving I guess it doesn't matter, but for black themed config, corsairs are pretty good with zero modification. And power supply is pretty much same as seasonic X.

I knew that the AX series Corsair units were just X series Seasonics, but it looks like the cable configuration is the same as well, meaning you could just use the Corsair cables with a Seasonic PSU. Not only do the Corsair cables look better, they look like they'd be a lot easier to manage too.

What do you mean by "shortened motherboard down"?

Cut it down so it's directly in line with the board

When you say shorten the motherboard down, do you mean get a uATX mobo?

I'm using a uATX H67 motherboard in my PC-A05NB (was the only mobo in stock at newegg when I ordered my 2500k). I like micro atx, but I really don't see the advantage. IF ANYTHING, it's a disadvantage, since GPU placement is important in this case, along with everything else. I assume you weren't going to take a set of tin snips to the board or anything.

I run a Asus CH IV Formular along with tri crossfire in this case.

See here for what i mean with the try

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1598667

Pjalchemist-

I like the braiding.

I keep looking at my A05-NB, then your worklog, and I still don't understand what you meant by
Cut it down so it's directly in line with the board

Do you mean some of the older A05's were misaligned with motherboard placement? Mine's one of the newer ones, with both the large CPU cooler cutout and two smaller cutouts in the MB tray. I also assume you were using some longer GPUs, which necessitates the shorter external drive bays.

About all I've done to mine is order some Lian Li Black Aluminum Feet and some Black thumbscrews in addition to the Acoustipak acoustic dampening/fan swaps.

Pjalchemist-

I like the braiding.

I keep looking at my A05-NB, then your worklog, and I still don't understand what you meant by

Do you mean some of the older A05's were misaligned with motherboard placement? Mine's one of the newer ones, with both the large CPU cooler cutout and two smaller cutouts in the MB tray. I also assume you were using some longer GPUs, which necessitates the shorter external drive bays.

About all I've done to mine is order some Lian Li Black Aluminum Feet and some Black thumbscrews in addition to the Acoustipak acoustic dampening/fan swaps.

Look at everyones with an ATX mobo. The try sticks out infront of it. It's normal sized across the range. I will take a photo of my old A05 which i dont use now tomorrow as its night now. Using 3 5870's so nothing abnormal. I just wanted max space make it all minimal and neat. My micro res will mount up there now as i use an SSD and NAS. I can dump discs on to usb via my laptop as and when i use them

Pjalchemist-

I like the braiding.

Looks like what he meant is cutting of the mobo *tray* to the width of the mobo ... it's not clear what benefits this brings, although those SATA cables with 180 degree connectors suggest that at least part of the idea is to get SATA cables quickly behind the mobo tray (but then it's not clear where those SATA cables go to)

Ah ha. I see. That makes more sense.

I'm not really a modder per se, but I liked the A05 from the moment I saw it. The fact that it's ass-backwards really endears it to me. I've been more concerned with noise reduction than anything else, but I think I'm ready to move on to something more ambitious.

Cable management is the worst part of the case, since there isn't much, but if I had a more permanent installation I could put more effort into it. If you're into quiet, then acoustic dampening is the first thing I did and it made a lot of difference.

Hadjii--
What the hell? Is your motherboard almost 11 inches deep?

I'm so excited! Paid for my first A05N this afternoon. Quite the fixer upper but I've got some interesting plans for this since it's a little more versatile than the A05's I've had in the past. Pics when it comes in next week some time :)

Edit: Dude just sent me my tracking info. Expected delivery is this friday. Zomg I have to study for midterms...

dunno ... cutting off the "extra" part of the mobo tray is not something I'd do as with the cut piece goes away the rigidity "rib" or whatever that 90-degree "lip" is called (the one that makes it difficult to route cables behind the tray). I think it's even more important to have it if the end goal is a setup with several pounds worth of video cards

Yes there is a little bit of flex but if you bolt the mobo down with all the mounts it's rock solid! Cables can flow easy though now. 90* sata fit perfectly without having to cut huge holes

i'm not sure what my PC store sells but its the only place i can get an A05NB at. Does it matter if it doesn't have the updated version with motherboard cut outs?

Back