I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Well, I finally got mine together and the case is actually very nice to work in. Smaller than the Antec Solo I transplanted it from, but very open and very easy to work with. Cable management is great. I removed the bottom hard drive case and left the 620HX fan up. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to attach pictures, but there are plenty of similar setups in this thread.

My setup:

Win 7 Home Premium
Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ C-02B DVD Drive Bezel
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel C2D e8400 @ 3.6 GHz
Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Corsair 620HX
4GB DDR2
EVGA GTS 250 512MB
OCZ Agility 2 60GB
WD Black 640GB
Samsung SH-S203B
Scythe GT 1,450 x2 (one in front one in back)
Scythe PWM Fan (DFS122512L-PWM) on Xigmatek

CPU Temps run around 41º C
GPU Temps run around 50º C

GPU temps ran around 47º C when I had the exact same setup in an Antec Solo. Only change from the Solo to the Lian Li was I changed from Scythe S-Flex 1,200 rpm to the Scythe GT. CPU temps have not changed. Running GT's stock setup from rear to front and seems to be just fine that way.

System is very quiet and the case looks great. Even my wife commented on it and that's rare as she could care less as long as it works when she wants to use it.

No need for a blowhole with my system, but may do it anyway just to try it out once I upgrade the setup to a Core i7 system this winter.

Thanks to those that have contributed to this thread as there were lots of great ideas that I used when I put my system.

Bill

mine

dsc00604ruyb1.jpg

dsc00626r3l9u.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to attach pictures, but there are plenty of similar setups in this thread.

There is no attaching pictures to posts on this forum. It's not a matter of how many posts you have. You upload them to an imagehost like www.imageshack.us and put the url to the direct link in post.

herpderp

OP: its nice... for a 2 year old system :p
I do miss my A05 sometimes, but I believe it has found a more consistently loving home.

Herpaderp yourself.

There is no attaching pictures to posts on this forum. It's not a matter of how many posts you have. You upload them to an imagehost like www.imageshack.us and put the url to the direct link in post.

mine

[]http://www.abload.de/img/dsc00604ruyb1.jpg[/]

[]http://www.abload.de/img/dsc00626r3l9u.jpg[/

Just two pics? You tease.

you can get them here

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=28206&zenid=2a67190ffc4018e1d7493f1b5a069914

but you will need to buy the mounting hardware (screws, washers and nuts).

here is how I installed mine

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036024225&postcount=4244

Yup, I also posted a simple schematic I drew a few pages back from that post which outlined the install if haadij's pics aren't sufficient for you.

@master noran - i did the paint myself, i used a textured krylon fusion ive been using on some of my xbox mods

@crash01ita - ya i was going to get the h50 but my local shop only had the h70 so i went with that, the other side is just the plain black i didnt do anyhting to it yet and i just used hot glue to set the mesh( i got the mesh from a dollarstore garbage can)

@cyberkost - i just taped off the design and dremeled it then filed it as straight as possible

i still want to get a black vandal switch with the red led, and a red power and hdd light to match

Here's mine after painting the case black. Next plan is to utilize my Thermalright Spitfire on either a 5870 or a 480. So the massive overkill Mk-13 on the GT-240 is just temporary.

IMG_6827-1.jpg

IMG_6812-1.jpg

IMG_6828-1.jpg

herpderp

OP: its nice... for a 2 year old system :p
I do miss my A05 sometimes, but I believe it has found a more consistently loving home.

I know... it will be ugraded to Core i5 this winter. I do them one at a time per winter.

Last year it was my primary machine which I upgraded to Core i5 which gets more use as the primary system.

Bill

Looking at putting a system together with an AO5NB.
  1. ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 MB
  2. AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
  3. SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support video card
  4. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler
  5. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
  6. Corsair VX 550W 80 Plus Certified Single 12v Rail Power Supply
I'll probably try and OC the PII X4 to about 3.2GHz. Other then that system won't be used for gaming. Just light video editing and photo restoration.

My question is will there be a problem with the documented upper case hot spot with this configuration? Other then the outrageously expensive (almost 1/2 the cost of the case when you can find it) T-LM14B-2 would a solution like a Antec Cyclone Blower Case Fan for Any Expansion Slot located in the very top expansion slot help at all?

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at putting a system together with an AO5NB.
  1. ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 MB
  2. AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
  3. SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support video card
  4. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler
  5. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
I'll probably try and OC the PII X4 to about 3.2GHz. Other then that system won't be used for gaming. Just light video editing and photo restoration.

My question is will there be a problem with the documented upper case hot spot with this configuration? Other then the outrageously expensive (almost 1/2 the cost of the case when you can find it) T-LM14B-2 would a solution like a Antec Cyclone Blower Case Fan for Any Expansion Slot located in the very top expansion slot help at all?

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.

It isn't really necessary. I'm sure you'll be fine without a blow hole at the top of the case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 5570 doesn't generate as much heat as other higher end cards to warranty a blow hole. If anything you just need something to agitate the warm air that builds up and the blower you link should do just fine. If not Scythe makes a rack that can mount two 80MM fans that fits into a PCI slot, another great solution that will cost slightly more, but should inevitably be much quieter.

The 5570 doesn't generate as much heat as other higher end cards to warranty a blow hole. If anything you just need something to agitate the warm air that builds up and the blower you link should do just fine. If not Scythe makes a rack that can mount two 80MM fans that fits into a PCI slot, another great solution that will cost slightly more, but should inevitably be much quieter.
Thanks for the reply. Would you mount the fans on the rack so that they blow down into the case or up towards the top? Either way would move the air wouldn't it? The advantage (I think) to the Antec fan is that it would suck the air out.

I'd set the fans to blow downwards onto your graphics card. That way it forces air back into the card and directs more air towards the primary flow of air from the intake/exhaust rear/front fans. Very similar setup to what I have now and my T-LM14B-2 does virtually nothing for my temperatures.

I'd say something around 1500RPM/mid-20 CFM. Just looking for something to circulate some air, something that runs nice and silent. I'm a huge fan of Nexus because they make absolutely no noise while moving a respectable amount of air and I'd recommend going with their 80MM unit. If you're feeling spendy a Noiseblocker Multi-Frame fan works too though I personally wouldn't buy overpriced premium fans. The only downside to Nexus fans is they still insist on splicing the 3-pin onto a molex chain. This makes cable management pretty infuriating and I really hope they change their ways soon.

Thanks, appreciate the information. Looking forward to this build as I've admired this case for a long time. Going to be a bit of a challenge for cable management because the Corsair VX 550 isn't modular and has extra long cables but I'll poke around here a bit and hopefully come up with some good ideas.

So I finally got around to slapping on the Ven-X. Too bad the weather around here has been horrible (hot) so I can't really tell if it's an improvement over the H50. Got to wait around to this weekend when the temperature finally goes down. Also going to grab two TY-140s and try and fit them to the Ven-X because I only have the stock 1200rpm Lian Li fans on right now...in theory the TY-140s should fit. I'm really surprised how much room is left between the cooler and RAM, I thought my OCZ Reapers were going to interfere but they didn't. Pic for the hell of it.

img6870.png

Edit: Haadij, if you read this how much TIM did you use and what method did you use to apply it? Did you apply equal amounts to both the bottom of the heatsink and the CPU? I'm starting to wonder if I didn't put enough. Oh and how far did you turn the pressure vault thing? I have it at, I'm guessing, around 50 or 60 lbs. :eek:

Last edited:
that looks sick fockoph (awesome name btw :D). that is some epic cooling right there.

as for the ven-x I put a pea sized dot on the CPU and then mounted the hsf. I find a rice grained size is too small. I am loading at like max 68c under prime95 small fft's at 4.2ghz with 1.35v which is as good as watercooling :D

I got some fan shrouds as well so those help as well in terms of lowering temps.

here is a pic I took just today

dsc04406v.jpg

Also got a 4870x2 for $75 off the forums so I replaced the 5850.

that looks sick fockoph (awesome name btw :D). that is some epic cooling right there.

as for the ven-x I put a pea sized dot on the CPU and then mounted the hsf. I find a rice grained size is too small. I am loading at like max 68c under prime95 small fft's at 4.2ghz with 1.35v which is as good as watercooling :D

I got some fan shrouds as well so those help as well in terms of lowering temps.

here is a pic I took just today

[]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8995/dsc04406v.jpg[/]

Also got a 4870x2 for $75 off the forums so I replaced the 5850.

All right I'll give the pea size drop a try once this AS5 settles in a bit to see if there's any improvement. I tried the spread-TIM-on-CPU-with-finger-in-plastic-bag method. That Chill Factor II that came with the Ven-X was surprisingly thicker than the AS5 and also left behind a nasty greasy residue when I cleaned it off so I decided not to use it. Idling in the low to mid 30s which is maybe one or two degrees cooler than my H50, but the load temps are pretty significant at almost five to eight degrees cooler in the high 40s to low 50s. I guess I was expecting better idle temps since I've read on other forums people reporting sub-30C idle temps which should be attainable considering my 1.18v.

The shrouds look good, got to love SVC. Luckily I live near them so I can just go in for pick ups. :D

Singapore:)

Basically I use screws, then i heat shrink-ed them and basically place them on to the case

Only picked the best of two:p

I agree can we see some more pictures of you great work..pleezzze :D

So I finally got around to slapping on the Ven-X. Too bad the weather around here has been horrible (hot) so I can't really tell if it's an improvement over the H50. Got to wait around to this weekend when the temperature finally goes down. Also going to grab two TY-140s and try and fit them to the Ven-X because I only have the stock 1200rpm Lian Li fans on right now...in theory the TY-140s should fit. I'm really surprised how much room is left between the cooler and RAM, I thought my OCZ Reapers were going to interfere but they didn't. Pic for the hell of it.

img6870.png

Edit: Haadij, if you read this how much TIM did you use and what method did you use to apply it? Did you apply equal amounts to both the bottom of the heatsink and the CPU? I'm starting to wonder if I didn't put enough. Oh and how far did you turn the pressure vault thing? I have it at, I'm guessing, around 50 or 60 lbs. :eek:

Good to see that, thanks for the picture as I also have reapers, a true (like the Ven-X) and wanted a VRM cooler.

The problem is I blocked all the space in front of the CPU with a horizontally mounted 120mm fan to cool the ram and chipset. Maybe I'll move it to the front of the True to make push/pull.

Last edited:
Back