I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Case panels were not a tight fit thats for sure. Im now in a TJ-07...panels are way tighter I noticed. I do have a the AO5B...the newest revision...it was purchased in Jan 2010...is that the one you have?

I think you mean A05NB right? A05 is the original case from 2005. A05N is "new" version. B means black. I bought mine in October 2009.

Yeah I noticed that if I over tighten the thumbscrews holding the side panels, I start to get a slight humming sound, so I leave the screws relatively loose.

I did finally get that fan controller. Didn't feel like waiting for the Egg to restock the Scythe Kaze Master so I ran into my local MicroCenter and picked it up for a heftier price. And man is it worth it, I now have all fans active (rear intake, 120MM GPU fan, top 140MM set to exhaust, and front exhaust) running at a super quiet 600 RPMs with awesome (improved! :D) temperatures. Definitely have to turn the fans up when I hop into Bad Company 2 though. The only problem now is my system is so quiet I can now hear my hard drive humming along. Or at least I think it is...that or the PSU, I'm going to do it by ear tomorrow. I'm so tempted to buy a NoVibes 3 rack and see if it'll fit behind the fan controller to totally eliminate all the noise. :D

If it ain't one thing, it's another!

img1978j.jpg

img1996v.jpg

Last edited:
Is pulling air off the Thermalright 120 really working better than having a fan pushing? I realize the rear intake is blowing onto it but air usually scatters at that distance and you want static pressure right up to the heatsink.

The wires. They're killin me D:

where to hide wires is very difficult in this case, especially when no hdd cage in place. there are not many places to stuff them. only place is next to the psu. i will have to unplug everything and start over. i have also tried to push/pull with 2 of those fans, but difference was no greater than 3c degrees in my testing. they are 1700rpm nmb-mat fans. with motherboard voltage control they run 900rpm in idle. here is also a test done by a guy: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629296

Yes, there's not much place to hide cables with the HDD cage gone but they can still be wrapped up and folded neatly. You could tuck some into the unused 5.25 bay as well. Luckily you have a modular PSU. Also, your videocard bracket is missing a screw. I like the fan cutouts, if I didn't find the 140mm fan lid on Newegg, I would have done something like that.

Last edited:
He has the TRUE Rev C according to his sig which has the fins gapped a bit more for use with lower rpm fans, so his temp difference sounds about right. Had he been using a Rev B or older, it probably would have been a larger change in temps. That's pretty much why I have mine pushing in my setup.

As for the wires, run what you can behind the mobo tray, you can neatly tuck a few under the psu, and the rest behind it. It definitely is much harder though without the hd cage, but I believe!

I have a True Black Rev. C and I have been contemplating changing the fan arrangement. If the temp different when mounted as a push fan was about 3°, that's only a very slight difference but why not do it if you can? There is room. I'm basically just curious why you chose to pull off it.

With the A05, there isn't much space beind the mobo tray but I managed to tuck all my fans and low guage wiring behind it or between the motherboard and the motherboard panel. I wish this case had a removable motherboard try sometimes.

I just noticed that is a BluRay HD DVD drive. AWESOME!

Last edited:

Crap, judging by that picture I'm going to have to remove my old and massive IDE DVD drive to fit the 5870. Can't put it in the top 5.25" bay either since it bangs up against the 140mm fan. Oh well, not like I use it much anyway...last time I had it spin up was to install Bad Company 2 back in...March? :p

Crap, judging by that picture I'm going to have to remove my old and massive IDE DVD drive to fit the 5870. Can't put it in the top 5.25" bay either since it bangs up against the 140mm fan. Oh well, not like I use it much anyway...last time I had it spin up was to install Bad Company 2 back in...March? :p

No, it depends on your motherboard and where your PCI-E slot is located. On some boards, it is higher. On some boards it is lower.

For mine, my 5870 did not block either 5.25" bay. My PCI-E slot was a bit lower and the card is in front of the 3.5" bay.

No, it depends on your motherboard and where your PCI-E slot is located. On some boards, it is higher. On some boards it is lower.

For mine, my 5870 did not block either 5.25" bay. My PCI-E slot was a bit lower and the card is in front of the 3.5" bay.

I have seen ur config.
I will put inside my A05B same cpu and same cooler (and 2x120 on top).
What temps have u with q6600 @ 3.6ghz? thx :)

I agree.
I purchased the case and the LM14B-2 like you did,
and I didn't realize that the 140mm fan in the LM14B-2 is going to make the top
5.25" bay unusable for my Pioneer Blu-Ray burner.

This problem exists before you install any video card.

Could the LM14B-2 be reversed,
putting the top-cover ports toward the rear of the case?

I had already thought about not wiring the top-cover ports to eliminate the extra
wires inside the case. Has anyone else done this?

I finally got the case as well. Guys, how in the hell are you able to tuck wires behind the PSU. I can put here only very few wires, and then i'm done, no more space for cables :D.

EDIT: Some pictures :
a051p.jpg

a052h.jpg

Last edited:
I had already thought about not wiring the top-cover ports to eliminate the extra wires inside the case. Has anyone else done this?
I think more than a few people do that (I'm one of them). A few wish the door/ports weren't there at all (for free, uninterrupted look and/or additional modding flexibility)

@Konias: The top 2 are intake. And the temps are ok so far. Top intakes and bottom outtakes are all at 600-700RPM, the CPU fan runs at 15%. Both CPU and GPU temps are ~40C in idle, while running silently. Sice i'm not planing to do a OC, i don't really care if it is not the best airflow, because i will soon mount a Prolimatech MK-13 on the HD5870, so i will need those top fans to be intakes.

I have seen ur config.
I will put inside my A05B same cpu and same cooler (and 2x120 on top).
What temps have u with q6600 @ 3.6ghz? thx :)

It depends on what I set my fan speeds to. Usually my fans are set to silent but if I am gaming @ 3.6GHz, I will set everything to "auto" speed (which is not maximum but close). My CPU will usually hit about 65° C when gaming with the fan on full. My 5870 never gets hotter than 50° C on load because of the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo.

If you are doing 2x120mm on top, you will have cooler temperatures. One reason my case is hotter is because all my fans are filtered so there is not as much air going into the case.

Ever since I added the 80mm fan to the front of my PSU, my temperatures have improved as well because the front panel of the A05 is so restrictive it helps to have active airflow inside it unless you take off the entire front panel like many people do.

I agree.
I purchased the case and the LM14B-2 like you did,
and I didn't realize that the 140mm fan in the LM14B-2 is going to make the top
5.25" bay unusable for my Pioneer Blu-Ray burner.

This problem exists before you install any video card.

Could the LM14B-2 be reversed,
putting the top-cover ports toward the rear of the case?

I had already thought about not wiring the top-cover ports to eliminate the extra
wires inside the case. Has anyone else done this?

Yes it should be reversible! You will have to put the side covers on backwards as well though after taking off the front panel, but you can snap it back on. People have used the lids from other Lian Li cases and put them on reversed with the side panels reversed as well.

Some people have moved the top-cover ports to another location as it is easy to cut out a rectangular space on the side of the case or on the front panel to mount it elsewhere.

I finally got the case as well. Guys, how in the hell are you able to tuck wires behind the PSU. I can put here only very few wires, and then i'm done, no more space for cables :D.

EDIT: Some pictures :
a051p.jpg

Since your PSU is mounted with the fan facing up, (most mount it with the fan facing down as to not fight the main exhaust for air), you have space underneath the PSU. Before I had a modular PSU, I tucked all my cables UNDER the PSU.

Also, that one cable that is going to your drive bays, can you wire it around the backside of the front fan?

Most people with this case hide cables behind the HDD rack. Since you have no harddrive rack, I recommend building a wall out of spare sheetmetal or aluminum that you paint black and attach it to the backside of the PSU and use that wall to hide cables and use the modright extensions you bought.

Something like this, just a rectangular piece of metal or even black plastic that you stick to the backside of the PSU and it goes up all the way to the drive bays.
panel.jpg

Last edited:
Since your PSU is mounted with the fan facing up, (most mount it with the fan facing down as to not fight the main exhaust for air), you have space underneath the PSU. Before I had a modular PSU, I tucked all my cables UNDER the PSU.

Fan is facing upwards because otherwise Seasonic X-750 didn't fit :( (the power connector was hitting the mounting frame. And the fan doesn't spin up most times anyway, so no problem :)

Also, that one cable that is going to your drive bays, can you wire it around the backside of the front fan?

No :(. The hole where i routed the fan cables is already full.

Most people with this case hide cables behind the HDD rack. Since you have no harddrive rack, I recommend building a wall out of spare sheetmetal or aluminum that you paint black and attach it to the backside of the PSU and use that wall to hide cables and use the modright extensions you bought.

I'm thinking more about finding the connectors for the PSU in retail store and using the modright extensions as base for my own cables - leaving the original ones intact.

No :(. The hole where i routed the fan cables is already full.

You can take off the fan connector from wires allowing you to squeeze the wiring into the slots between the 5.25" drives. Often when I rewire and I need to get cables through small openings, I'll take off the fan connector so the wires can squeeze through and then I'll put the connector back on.

I'm thinking more about finding the connectors for the PSU in retail store and using the modright extensions as base for my own cables - leaving the original ones intact.

You could also just rewrap the Seasonic cables in new black wrap. It would look good since all you really need to do is cover up all the bright colored parts like the yellow on the PCI-E connectors and the multi-colored cables on the PSU end and the 12 pin connector.

Fan is facing upwards because otherwise Seasonic X-750 didn't fit :( (the power connector was hitting the mounting frame. And the fan doesn't spin up most times anyway, so no problem :)

Hmm, that's interesting. I was thinking of buying the Seasonic X-750. What is the problem with it not fitting with the fan facing down? Can you tell me if there is still enough room to put the HDD rack in with the Seasonic X-750? What is the height of the unit? I thought the X-750 was standard size. I wanted the X-750 because I want a quieter PSU but I have a full HDD rack and I prefer the fan facing down to draw in cooler air and it has more room to breathe when I have my harddrives in which would block the top.

@Konias: The top 2 are intake. And the temps are ok so far. Top intakes and bottom outtakes are all at 600-700RPM, the CPU fan runs at 15%. Both CPU and GPU temps are ~40C in idle, while running silently. Sice i'm not planing to do a OC, i don't really care if it is not the best airflow, because i will soon mount a Prolimatech MK-13 on the HD5870, so i will need those top fans to be intakes.

Thanks, I didnt see the top fans
Now it ,make sense, nice work by the way.

Hmm, that's interesting. I was thinking of buying the Seasonic X-750. What is the problem with it not fitting with the fan facing down? Can you tell me if there is still enough room to put the HDD rack in with the Seasonic X-750? What is the height of the unit? I thought the X-750 was standard size. I wanted the X-750 because I want a quieter PSU but I have a full HDD rack and I prefer the fan facing down to draw in cooler air and it has more room to breathe when I have my harddrives in which would block the top.

There is no problem, i was just lazy and seriusly, didn't care that much for fan orientation for a mostly passive PSU :).

As you can see it in on pictures, the 110/230V connector is extremly on side :
12533906384qAB20vsMt_3_3_l.jpg

Now if you look at mounting mechanism for PSU on PC-A05N, you can see that on right side you have a cutout, but on right side there is no such thing :
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/PC-A05F/PC-A05N-07.jpg

If you really want the PSU facing down, just rotate the bracket - but i didn't want to bother with that :D.

There is no problem, i was just lazy and seriusly, didn't care that much for fan orientation for a mostly passive PSU :).

As you can see it in on pictures, the 110/230V connector is extremly on side :
12533906384qAB20vsMt_3_3_l.jpg

Now if you look at mounting mechanism for PSU on PC-A05N, you can see that on right side you have a cutout, but on right side there is no such thing :
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/PC-A05F/PC-A05N-07.jpg

If you really want the PSU facing down, just rotate the bracket - but i didn't want to bother with that :D.

LOL, you were just lazy to rotate the bracket. I get it now! :) Your system is probably better anyway with the fan facing up since you have no HDD rack.

Yes it should be reversible! You will have to put the side covers on backwards as well though after taking off the front panel, but you can snap it back on. People have used the lids from other Lian Li cases and put them on reversed with the side panels reversed as well.

Some people have moved the top-cover ports to another location as it is easy to cut out a rectangular space on the side of the case or on the front panel to mount it elsewhere.

Great information, but what do you mean by "you can snap it back on"?

LOL, you were just lazy to rotate the bracket. I get it now! :) Your system is probably better anyway with the fan facing up since you have no HDD rack.

Wow!
I was considering cutting out a 120mm or 140mm hole on the bottom of the case below the power supply as fresh air intake. I have a Seasonic X650, and thought that the big bottom 140mm on it was intake, but I guess you are right that it is exhaust? As was said already, these Seasonic X Series spin so little that it is hard to tell much. But if it is exhaust, then there would be zero reason to cut an intake hole in the bottom of the case, correct?

Wow!
I was considering cutting out a 120mm or 140mm hole on the bottom of the case below the power supply as fresh air intake. I have a Seasonic X650, and thought that the big bottom 140mm on it was intake, but I guess you are right that it is exhaust? As was said already, these Seasonic X Series spin so little that it is hard to tell much. But if it is exhaust, then there would be zero reason to cut an intake hole in the bottom of the case, correct?

The fan is a intake - but since it doesn't spin most times, it can be considered as a exhaust as well if you have it with fan on upper side like me. For a passive PSU, it is better to let the heat escape = it is better to have fan hole facing upwards, and because there is a outtake fan right above it, the escaping air goes out anyway.

Last edited:
Great information, but what do you mean by "you can snap it back on"?

The front panel snaps on and off to allow you access to your side panels if you reverse them.

Wow!

I'm not sure why you think that. All PSU 140m fans are intakes into the PSU which exhaust hot air out the side where the power switch is. faugusztin's reasoning is that since the fan rarely spins up and hot air rises, it makes more sense to mount it with the hole facing up so that hot air will naturally rise out of the PSU.

The fan is a intake - but since it doesn't spin most times, it can be considered as a exhaust as well if you have it with fan on upper side like me. For a passive PSU, it is better to let the heat escape = it is better to have fan hole facing upwards, and because there is a outtake fan right above it, the escaping air goes out anyway.

I'm not sure why you think that. All PSU 140m fans are intakes into the PSU which exhaust hot air out the side where the power switch is. faugusztin's reasoning is that since the fan rarely spins up and hot air rises, it makes more sense to mount it with the hole facing up so that hot air will naturally rise out of the PSU.

Got it, I might give that a try (fan facing up) as well, but I think the fan may spin more often when a CPU is overclocked. At least this gives a decent reason to not bother cutting an intake hole beneath the power supply.

Got it, I might give that a try (fan facing up) as well, but I think the fan may spin more often when a CPU is overclocked. At least this gives a decent reason to not bother cutting an intake hole beneath the power supply.

Unless your system is running permanently over 250-300W, then no, it won't be spinning up that much.

It depends on what I set my fan speeds to. Usually my fans are set to silent but if I am gaming @ 3.6GHz, I will set everything to "auto" speed (which is not maximum but close). My CPU will usually hit about 65° C when gaming with the fan on full. My 5870 never gets hotter than 50° C on load because of the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo.

If you are doing 2x120mm on top, you will have cooler temperatures. One reason my case is hotter is because all my fans are filtered so there is not as much air going into the case.

Ever since I added the 80mm fan to the front of my PSU, my temperatures have improved as well because the front panel of the A05 is so restrictive it helps to have active airflow inside it unless you take off the entire front panel like many people do.
Really thx :)

Okay, so I'm thinking about doing a positive pressure build in this system, and here's the airflow that I'm thinking about, what do you guys think?

Basically flip the front HDD fan to intake as well and put it on low (noise concerns), set the CPU cooler to blow upward instead of toward the front. The PSU still faces down and blows hot air out the front. Then have the 140mm top fan set to exhaust on a very low 500rpm for a positive pressure and low noise build. What do you guys think?

A05NB.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture, just cut/pasted a bunch of pictures on the internet and pieced it together in paint.

Okay, so I'm thinking about doing a positive pressure build in this system, and here's the airflow that I'm thinking about, what do you guys think?

Basically flip the front HDD fan to intake as well and put it on low (noise concerns), set the CPU cooler to blow upward instead of toward the front. The PSU still faces down and blows hot air out the front. Then have the 140mm top fan set to exhaust on a very low 500rpm for a positive pressure and low noise build. What do you guys think?

A05NB.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture, just cut/pasted a bunch of pictures on the internet and pieced it together in paint.

The airflow pattern is a bit messed up here as you have intakes from all sides but as hot air rises, the 140mm exhausting out the top could work. You could also get a BS-03 for the side to add additional air in @ the videocard.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/ebolamonkey3/Miscellaneous/A05NB.jpg[/IM]

Sorry about the bad picture, just cut/pasted a bunch of pictures on the internet and pieced it together in paint.[/QUOTE]

I don't really like the look of this. The exhaust from your PSU is going to go right back into the case through the hard drive cage. Modding your front bezel with a lot of ventilation might help a bit, but not terribly much. Your graphics card is going to be fighting your top exhaust fan, and all of the air that it gets is going to be hot from the PSU & HDDs or CPU. You don't [I]really[/I] don't have enough intake to call this a "positive pressure" build, either. You've got two intakes, one at "low" speed, and three exhausts.

I would consider changing your top fan to an intake, which would definitely help your graphics card a bunch and probably increase internal pressure a bit. The PSU situation is a bit of a mess... not sure what to do there.

Back