I got my DS3 and E6300

Lyquist

2[H]4U
So far I am at 2.8GHz with default voltage. Temps in the mid 50's during load...around 40 idle. I am just using the stock heatsink and fan and the stock paste that came with it. I may apply some artic silver if I feel like I need to. This is one fast machine. What kind of overclocks are you guys getting???

Lyquist

I got my e6300 + S3 (Not DS3) a couple of days ago. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I primed for two hours stable at 3.15Ghz. Voltage is set just a little above default though I am not sure if I need it yet. With the stock heatsink load temps were reaching into the low 70's even with AS5. It probably wasn't a good application but I bet the stock heastink really can't take the heat anyway. I just ordered an Aquagate Mini 120 because those kind of temps scare me and I want to get to 3.5Ghz if at all possible.

I do think I will get just a little above 3.5Ghz with enough tweaking.

BTW, the Patriot LLK 2GB 667Mhz kit is a great value. When I was priming (orthos) I had it set to 900Mhz 1:1 4-5-4-12 at 2.1v and it seemed very stable. I can't wait to try for a 1Ghz. ;) I will post screenies when I hit my max OC.

Very impressed with this whole setup, especially for the money.

Lyquist said:
So far I am at 2.8GHz with default voltage. Temps in the mid 50's during load...around 40 idle. I am just using the stock heatsink and fan and the stock paste that came with it. I may apply some artic silver if I feel like I need to. This is one fast machine. What kind of overclocks are you guys getting???

Lyquist

Thats awesome! I was worried you might not make it to 2.8Ghz b/c your memory was only DDR2 667, right?

chrisf6969 said:
Thats awesome! I was worried you might not make it to 2.8Ghz b/c your memory was only DDR2 667, right?

Yes, I bought the Patriot DDR2 667 memory from newegg.

Lyquist

Lyquist said:
Yes, I bought the Patriot DDR2 667 memory from newegg.

Lyquist

Either way, you can always play around with the memory strap and see if you can get more out of your CPU without overclocking your memory higher than it will go. I've been experimenting with my DS3 and it seems to do a good job of keeping stable with different strap settings.

1:1 is the lowest you can go. (called 2:1 on the DS3).

So at 2.8Ghz, 400FSB, he's already at DDR2 800 speeds when is ram is technically only rated for 667. So he's got a healthy overclock on the ram (& CPU) already. Granted a lot of people can hit DDR2 800 speeds with decent branded 667, and using looser timings & sometimes more voltage. But I don' think he will get to 900 or more with 667 ram. He'll be lucky to get much above 800. :(

that ram should do 1000mhz @ the 2.5 setting. I had 1000mhz 4-5-4-12 @ 2.1v . @ 2.0 setting, you will need to loosen timings in the bios though.

it looks like the ds3 REALLY loosens it up @ 2.5 compared to 2.0 . Here's a screen of my e6400 with the ram @ 1000mhz and 800mhz - 2.0, and 2.5

3434.JPG

45410.JPG

i just finished putting mine together, same exact setup with the DS3, e6300 and 2GB patriot 667.. but i got a zalman cnps9500 to go with it, upon first boot i sat in the bios and watched the temps for a few minutes, never went over 30c.. i cant wait to start OCing this thing

wow awesome results...i wish i knew how to OC mine, ohh well maybe one day ill learn.

the only thing i see is your core temperature.. 50! but in the other hand you have a lot of things running like two copies of prime "paused" :p

i have my 6300 at 3150 at stock volts on a ds3 (week 27)
F3 bios too mfers, wonder what would happen if i flash this bios.
My 6400 also runs 400x8 at stock volts (week 26)
i have a 6300 in my closet still sealed thats a week 25, im sure that shit flies as well.
God bless conroe
:)

Lyquist said:

Lyquist

I got the same clock 2.8GHz with the same temperature: idle 42 and high 50 load.
but I got Artic Freezer Pro 7 and AC5.

I wonder if I did the right thing by buying Freezer Pro 7 since my temperature is the same as yours but u only used stock Heatsink/fan.

Honestly, when I got the cpu and Freezer 7, I was impressed with the stock heatsink/fan than Freezer 7. It was more solid and its stand is very polished than Freezer 7.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock heatsink and fan. It is working pretty good for me. I didn't even put on any artic silver. I may do that though to see if temps drop at all.

Lyquist

Haha, awesome. I'll soon have the exact setup, except I have an E6600, so being stable at 400FSB might be a little tougher. We'll see, I guess.

Lyquist said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock heatsink and fan. It is working pretty good for me. I didn't even put on any artic silver. I may do that though to see if temps drop at all.

Lyquist

The stock Intel HSF's thermal interface pad is supposedly pretty good if the heatsink was mounted properly, etc.

Orayn said:
Haha, awesome. I'll soon have the exact setup, except I have an E6600, so being stable at 400FSB might be a little tougher. We'll see, I guess.

I haven't been able to get close to that with my E6600. I can only do around 3.2Ghz or so before it craps out on me. I have a week 27 chip.

I'm up to 2.967GHz with stock voltage on everything. I'll try raising the RAM voltage and see if I can get any higher.

Lyquist

stock voltage on the DS3 overvolts everything!

So the DIMM voltage is already at 2.1v if you leave it on auto/normal.

For me
things were most stable at +.1v for everything, which actually made the dimm voltage 1.89v, etc...

Anything besides .1v would be less stable to completely unstable especially on the MCH.

That easy tune 5 thing is so horrible looking it makes my eyes hurt. Thats the kind of crap you only find on windows.

Tutelary said:
That easy tune 5 thing is so horrible looking it makes my eyes hurt. Thats the kind of crap you only find on windows.

Do you have a suggestion for anything else that will work with the DS3 board?? I tried speedfan and it was all wrong. I also tried Everest 2.2, but it was too old and I don't want to buy it. I'm open to suggestions.

Lyquist

Lyquist said:
Do you have a suggestion for anything else that will work with the DS3 board?? I tried speedfan and it was all wrong. I also tried Everest 2.2, but it was too old and I don't want to buy it. I'm open to suggestions.

Lyquist

sorry no, I was just commenting on how horrible the app looks aesthetically :p

I'm back down to 2.8GHz. I tried to go to 450, and now I can't seem to get it to boot at 425 anymore. I'm still happy with 2.8 though. I am running two instances of folding at home and the temp is around 48C.

Lyquist

Lyquist said:

Lyquist

Why didn't you like Speedfan? I use it and it seems to work ok.

well i've reached my goal... i had it all the way up to 3.2GHz but it eventually froze in windows while watching a movie, anything after that just doesnt want to boot

15hours.PNG

kirbyrj said:
Why didn't you like Speedfan? I use it and it seems to work ok.

It is not that I don't like speedfan, it just didn't work for me. It threw up some wrong temperature readings for me. I've used speedfan in the past with my old socket a machine and it worked fine...maybe I'm using it wrong???

Lyquist

What kind of temps is it reporting? I run around 43C idle and maybe 55C load with an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro and an [email protected] with a minor voltage bump (1.35V maybe).

chrisf6969 said:
stock voltage on the DS3 overvolts everything!

So the DIMM voltage is already at 2.1v if you leave it on auto/normal.

For me
things were most stable at +.1v for everything, which actually made the dimm voltage 1.89v, etc...

Anything besides .1v would be less stable to completely unstable especially on the MCH.

Yep yep. He's right. "Normal" voltage in the ds3 means it rises according with the increase in FSB. A "normal" voltage does not mean default of 1.325V. And you CANNOT use cpu-z to reveal the true voltage since it still has the voltage recording bug.

Jus want to make sure that you guys realize that. There are a lot of users in the conroe overclocking thread that report their vcore as default with their ds3 but most likely they are overvolting with their overclock (anywhere from 1.38 to 1.5v)

cambrian said:
Yep yep. He's right. "Normal" voltage in the ds3 means it rises according with the increase in FSB. A "normal" voltage does not mean default of 1.325V. And you CANNOT use cpu-z to reveal the true voltage since it still has the voltage recording bug.

Jus want to make sure that you guys realize that. There are a lot of users in the conroe overclocking thread that report their vcore as default with their ds3 but most likely they are overvolting with their overclock (anywhere from 1.38 to 1.5v)

What can you use to reveal the true voltage?? Since cpuz doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

Lyquist

You can manually set it, then you know what the voltage is.

Put it at like 1.35v and see if your system is stable, run Orthos.
If its not raise the voltage one notch, run again, REPEAT until its stable.
Then you should have it at the minimum voltage needed to you don't have
extra heat or extra voltage, like the DS3 tends to apply.

I actually undervolted my processor by a little bit, but it didn't seem to affect tempertature any at all.

Lyquist

it should drop your load temps by a few degrees.

When I dropped from 1.4 to 1.36 it drop me like 2-3C at load.

I assume you're using Orthos to test your temps & stability.

chrisf6969 said:
it should drop your load temps by a few degrees.

When I dropped from 1.4 to 1.36 it drop me like 2-3C at load.

I assume you're using Orthos to test your temps & stability.

I don't know where to get orthos. I just use dual prime95 or two instances of folding@home.

Lyquist

Back