I Fold For:

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
Thought it would be neat to have a thread where members can tell why they fold: maybe you have a reason, maybe you don't and just like helping.

I fold for my father who has passed away in 2001 to Cancer.

I stopped folding a while ago because of PC issues and I still have a few but I plan to start folding again on one of my boxes.

I started folding because I am a cancer survivor. My cancer was caught in the first days of stage one so I was fortunate to only require surgery and no kemo. The surgery itself cause a ton of other issues but at least I am alive and free of cancer. My current risk of it returning is low but at the same time, I may never concieve and that is hard to hear when you are 22 and single, looking to have a family one day. Nonetheless, I am 25 now and still cancer free. I may never have the family I want but I can create a family for someone else because I am alive.

Fold On!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759393
"Why we DC"

(not to crap on your thread, but there is one still open)

Maybe it's already there but I believe it's a good idea to make a new one so we can look ourselves at the mirror and ask why we fold. I hope this will help stop the useless bickering, flaming and fighting so we can walk hand in hand toward a common goal.

As for myself, I had a grandmother who died from liver cancer and it's a painful event because it's so quick ( 1 1/2 month from initial diagnostic to death with a 120 pounds weight loss as she cannot eat most things without puking). I also had a uncle who died from tongue cancer 2 months too. But the most important for me is that I know cancer will hit anyone without discrimination, including me or you so I firmly believe that if we find a cure earlier, we don't have to suffer for nothing.

i fold because i can, and if it makes a difference in someones life one day, then its worth it

I fold because otherwise I'd do RC5-72. I would do that, since my machine would be idly sucking up energy. Seems folding may have a more direct impact on my life in the future.

I really don't have any spiritual connection with folding, it's a nice thing to do, it may help myself out in the future and it's a fun `competition'. If I wanted to be spiritual about it, I guess I could say that my grandma had ovarian cancer at one point. She is still with us, but pretty much blind thanks to diabetes. It's probably not a far stretch to imagine that protein folding may eventually help us develop better treatments for ailments such as hers as well...

Bottom line: I am a stats-whore and folding is yet another statistic that I can look at.

I am also a cancer survivor which is why I wanted to fold. Unfortunately even the more modern equipment I have available at work seems unable to finish these giant work units in anything like a reasonable time, so I gave up.

In the SETI days almost any machine could be useful, but it seems only the highest level equipment is now suitable for the task. When the unused G4s were not fast enough I tried two G5s and they were also too slow. Even a low end C2D we have was just crawling.

I'm not sure how you guys do it! Nuclear powered quad cores? :D

I am also a cancer survivor which is why I wanted to fold. Unfortunately even the more modern equipment I have available at work seems unable to finish these giant work units in anything like a reasonable time, so I gave up.

In the SETI days almost any machine could be useful, but it seems only the highest level equipment is now suitable for the task. When the unused G4s were not fast enough I tried two G5s and they were also too slow. Even a low end C2D we have was just crawling.

I'm not sure how you guys do it! Nuclear powered quad cores? :D

huh? old P3's meet deadlines with the regular client?

I fold because I have lost many to Cancer, Alzheimer's and the like. I have a very close friend that is battling cancer right now, it his 5th year of his war. He is a fighter, but he can't do it alone.

I also fold for the sense of team and the competition to keep things interesting. :)

I fold for the same reason that FLECOM does. I fold because I can. I would hate to think that due to my inaction of not putting forth the effort could one day cause us NOT to find a cure for something when all it took was a minute out of my day upsets me.

Didn't mean to open a new thread on the topic, I wasn't around in 2004 when that one was started, looked through the 9 pages here and didn't see anything. I guess with everything that has been going on this week, I started to lose focus on why I am here Folding. The bickering about this and that got me off track from why I am here. It doesn't matter what project I fold for or you fold for, or how my computer can fold better than your old computer... Let's just Fold for the loved ones who are battling and for the loved ones that have passed.
If we all stand together, we will be stronger.

There are simply too many ways to die.

We live in an age where for the first time we as a species are on the cusp of taking control of our own destiny and ridding ourselves of disease all together. Exponential advances are being made on multiple fronts that feed and fuel each other. After that, immortality may come, longer lifespans almost certainly.

Anything that furthers this progress I will support to the best of my ability. Through luck and drive I am in a position to donate much in the terms in folding for science, though not as much as some :)

I have had family members with cancer, diabetes, altzhimers etc. and that drives me somewhat, but it's more than that as well. It's a dream of life without disease.

There are simply too many ways to die. Lets reduce that number.

As long as they meet the deadline, its all good..I have a dual P3 933 running 2 instances..it takes almost a week for most WU's...but it get's them done...:)

naturally my C2D zips thru them, but thats to be expected....
I have ~10 machines running. half of them are older hardware and I still put out about ~750PPD....

Anyway, I fold cause like many of you, I have lost a few loved ones to cancer......most recently, my father

One day Folding may save our lives or a loved ones life. Fold ON!

I don't know if I've ever lost anyone I know to cancer (maybe relatives when I was young, but I honestly don't know). I fold because I've seen what cancer and other diseases do to others and their families. For all I know, all this number crunching will never do a bit of good for anyone, but by God, I'm going to keep going all out on it, because if there is even the tiniest chance some good will come of it, it'll all be more than worth it.

I fold for me and my sister. My dad had cancer, no idea where it came from, he's the poster boy for healthy living and doing fine now. My mom had two heart attacks by the time she was 35...last year she had a stroke. She's ok, but it looks like I got it from both barrels.

There are simply too many ways to die.

We live in an age where for the first time we as a species are on the cusp of taking control of our own destiny and ridding ourselves of disease all together. Exponential advances are being made on multiple fronts that feed and fuel each other. After that, immortality may come, longer lifespans almost certainly.

Anything that furthers this progress I will support to the best of my ability. Through luck and drive I am in a position to donate much in the terms in folding for science, though not as much as some :)

I have had family members with cancer, diabetes, altzhimers etc. and that drives me somewhat, but it's more than that as well. It's a dream of life without disease.

There are simply too many ways to die. Lets reduce that number.

Have you read the book, "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzwell, pretty good book

I fold for everyone who has ever been affected by cancer, be it in themselves, or a family member.

Last year I had a number of late stage adenoma/early malignant colon polyps found after suffering through all the classic something is really wrong signs for a while. Get your colonoscopies done early guys, don't wait.

... Get your colonoscopies done early guys, don't wait.

I'm pushing up near 40 and I really really should do that but damn I am not looking forward to it. :(

As for folding - cancer runs in my family and anything I can do to help rid the world of this scourge I will do within my means. Watched it take both of my grandparents from me (never really knew them from dads side of the family) and then three years ago watched as cancer took my mother down in under 6 months. My wife best friends husband is suffering in the hospital as I write this. 45 years old, diagnosed with liver cancer 1 month ago. He is in his end game as of yesterday. It's spread to many areas including his brain. Things got very bad over the last week - yesterday they gave him 48 hours and started the morphine drip.

I'm pushing up near 40 and I really really should do that but damn I am not looking forward to it. :(

The colonoscopy itself isn't bad. You are under general anesthesia the entire time so you don't even know what is going on. The day before though.....is really the shits.

I should know this because I've been married to a nurse for years but what goes on the day before ? :confused:

I should know this because I've been married to a nurse for years but what goes on the day before ? :confused:

They give a tone of laxatives in order to clean you out (and they do......take a laptop set it up in the bathroom because once it starts you are there for the duration). They don't taste good so be sure to ask RPHarrow beforehand and he can get you the what you need to ask for at the pharamacy to make them more palatable. The big downside is you can't eat anything for 24hours so be sure to schedule the procedure early in the AM so you aren't dieing of hunger for 2 days.

I had an endoscopy AND colonoscopy on the same day (not related to cancer) but it was done with conscious sedation, not general. It was a pretty mellow experience, and I remember nothing from the moment they pushed the fetanyl or whatever it was, until they stopped it in recovery. No side effects, no hangover or anything.

But the prep.... ugh. The stuff I had to drink was incredibly bad. And once those cramps start you will truly feel like a kitchen sponge being put through a wringer. I think I passed a few of my vertebrae.

38 here and just had it done a few weeks ago. Not bad really. I don't remember a thing! heh I remember them telling me to roll over and bring my knees to my chest. Next thing ya know I'm waking up in recovery....That's some good drugs :)

kinda a bummer since I had a good view of the large LCD monitor on the wall....

Now the night before..../shudder... not looking forward to that again.

They give a tone of laxatives in order to clean you out (and they do......take a laptop set it up in the bathroom because once it starts you are there for the duration). They don't taste good so be sure to ask RPHarrow beforehand and he can get you the what you need to ask for at the pharamacy to make them more palatable. The big downside is you can't eat anything for 24hours so be sure to schedule the procedure early in the AM so you aren't dieing of hunger for 2 days.

They just gave me some powder to mix in 64oz of Gatorade and drink in 2hours... I felt like I was doing some Reality TV challenge. I now know I'm not good at drinking 64 oz of anything in 2 hours... heh No cramps though, they gave me some other pill earlier in the day to take that dealt with that. But ya... your not coming out of the bathroom once you start.

And I didn't know about the food thing...my procedure was at 2pm... I was dehydrated and starving by then.. massive migrane. The IV felt sooo good. :)

But the prep.... ugh. The stuff I had to drink was incredibly bad. And once those cramps start you will truly feel like a kitchen sponge being put through a wringer. I think I passed a few of my vertebrae.

Well that makes it easy for me. One glass of milk and I cramp up like a pregnant woman, then I start pissing out of the wrong hole for an hour or so. I doubt there's anything left after that, but damn the cramps hurt. Lactose is a bad bad thing.

...... My wife best friends husband is suffering in the hospital as I write this. 45 years old, diagnosed with liver cancer 1 month ago. He is in his end game as of yesterday. It's spread to many areas including his brain. Things got very bad over the last week - yesterday they gave him 48 hours and started the morphine drip.

Update. Less than an hour after I posted that he passed. :(

sorry about your loss :mad:

my thoughts are with you

I guess that is why I fold

I have 29 boxen, 8 of them have the name of someone who has had cancer and is still fighting or recovering, 15 of them are for friends and relatives who lost the fight. four are for the new little ones in the clan. and a couple of spares in case of break downs.

I am trying to build another box up for the next little one that's on the way. should have it done before the kids pop out another one.:D

They just gave me some powder to mix in 64oz of Gatorade and drink in 2hours... I felt like I was doing some Reality TV challenge. I now know I'm not good at drinking 64 oz of anything in 2 hours... heh No cramps though, they gave me some other pill earlier in the day to take that dealt with that. But ya... your not coming out of the bathroom once you start.

Yeah I got the other pill too...but my liquid/powder laxative was nasty to drink the first time. RPharrow though was able to point me towards the good stuff after that for the subsequent trips. Cost a bit more but was so much more palatable.

And I didn't know about the food thing...my procedure was at 2pm... I was dehydrated and starving by then.. massive migrane. The IV felt sooo good. :)

I scheduled all mine for before 8 am. Best plan ever since I slept in the bathroom the night before. Damn laxatives kept coming back for revenge.

I fold for...

because it may help someone. These machines, that would lie dormant in a closet, are crunching numbers for (hopefully) some good, for a few cents' worth of electricity a month. If only other ways of helping the world were so easy....

Back