I do believe I want this

According to Via, the EPIA DP-310 is designed for server and multimedia applications and can be scaled to two boards in a single 1U casing or up to 16 boards in a 5U device which translates into up to 256 processors in a 42U rack server.

It's that 16 boards in a single 5U case part I like. That's 32 1Ghz chips. Multiprocessing galore.

HTPC Rookie said:
According to Via, the EPIA DP-310 is designed for server and multimedia applications and can be scaled to two boards in a single 1U casing or up to 16 boards in a 5U device which translates into up to 256 processors in a 42U rack server.

It's that 16 boards in a single 5U case part I like. That's 32 1Ghz chips. Multiprocessing galore.

so the ability to stick a large number of mediocre processors in a small space is what appeals to you?

im not flaming, seriously, just trying to understand what about the setup it is you like.

Very low power, low heat, and they perform far better than their earlier predecessors. They are perfect for a media PC/DVR type box running Linux with MythTV :)

ThomasE66 said:
Very low power, low heat, and they perform far better than their earlier predecessors. They are perfect for a media PC/DVR type box running Linux with MythTV :)

understandable. thats a good answer, to the question of what would you use them for.

but putting 16 of em together?
bah get 2 opties save alot of money

Steel Chicken said:
so the ability to stick a large number of mediocre processors in a small space is what appeals to you?

im not flaming, seriously, just trying to understand what about the setup it is you like.

Didn't even cross my mind you may be flaming (honestly).

Not exactly sure why the idea of having 32Ghz that fits on my desk appeals to me. Since there's no way I'll ever afford a Microsoft OS that supports 32 chips, I'd have to learn something else. Always fun. And I'd definately be able to say I'm the first kid on the block running 38 processors at once at home! :cool: :D

Even if the CPUs aren't known for their processing power, it still seems like remote rendering 32 chunks of my 3D project out at a time would help get this movie done a tad quicker.

ahhhh

it never clicked with me that it would be *one* system, and you could run a single OS on it.
i thought it was just a matter of sticking a bunch of 2 cpu based systems in one big 5u box

7W vs. Intel's 114W or whatever it's up to now. Low power indeed.

kirbyrj said:
7W vs. Intel's 114W or whatever it's up to now. Low power indeed.

Yeah but clock an intel chip at 1Ghz and see how the power consumption is then.

peltman78 said:
Yeah but clock an intel chip at 1Ghz and see how the power consumption is then.

You could clock it down to 100 Hz if you wanted (and if it would run at all). It's still gonna draw more than 7 watts. There's just too many transistors to switch.

Back