• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I could really use some guidance

lone wolf

Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Messages
705
I have a situation, nothing big, but weighs on my mind

I really need to move all of my storage to either a new system altogether, or just revamp what I have.

I have a norco case 3216 with a 910 watt psu
msi g31tm-p21 motherboard
intel core 2 duo at 2.53
4gb ram

daily workstation and current storage:
Asus m4a78 plus
AMD phenom II x6 3.0
8gb ram
current storage:
6 2tb hdd
3 1tb hdd
1 1.5 hdd
500gb OS drive
coolermaster 690 II case

I have an aerca 1220 card also available to me.

my question is would it be better to just put the aerca card in the coolermaster case or move all storage to the core 2 system. is the core 2 system strong enough to serve streaming media and music? it currently only has onboard 10/100 but I have a gig nic I'm putting in it. I want to save energy and be a little more in control, so I have both windows 7 pro and server 2008 R2.

What would you folks do? seperate them out or just reimage and combine everything?

would
 
The one thing that everyone that replies will agree on is the Core 2 is way more than enough to stream your media.

I'm honestly not familiar with some of your hardware, so I'd rather those more familiar give advice. But the one thing you haven't stated is what you do with the systems other than streaming, It may make a diffence on the advice you get. It may not be a good idea to combine and just use one machine.
 
I will be streaming dvd's and blu rays, also media such as pictures and music. I have 4 other machines that it will be streaming to, not including my workstation, which I do all of the dvd rips and whatnot.

I kinda want to get back into gaming and don't know if having someone access for a movie will hurt things or not. I have dual 5770's available to me, so was thinking of putting those in my workstation as well.

I don't know if I should go with windows 7 pro on the core 2 system or actually put server 2008 on there or not. I've seen things about zfs and what have you but not familiar with those.

Thanks for the input, I want to have this done soon so I'm kinda putting parts in piles to help me out :)
 
so I went ahead and moved everything into the norco case and got the raid array building. one last question, the raid array is around 6tb, should I break that down or is that good? it will be holding my movies, I know its not a backup solution but at least I have some sort of redundancy
 
I have a similar setup. I used to have all my movies and TV shows on my main box, but I put together a file/media server and moved everything over to it. So it can stream 4 HD TV channels simultaneously using MediaPortal, and it only has a Sempron unlocked into an Athlon 2. So your Core2 Duo is plenty fast enough. Yes, using the full 6TB array is just fine, that should be plenty of space unless you are a mad BluRay ripper.
 
For "some sort of redundancy" but no backup, I wouldn't use regular RAID, that adds its own problems, but something like FlexRAID. http://wiki.flexraid.com/

But real backup is the way.
 
Back
Top