I can't make up my mind

As my inevitable purchase draws ever closer, I really, truly, cannot make up my mind. Choosing our last car was easier than this.

I'm considering going as low as a 1060 6GB, or an AMD 580. But not really... because what if I decide to get VR later on and I need the horsepower? And no, this is not a 'well then just buy what you need THEN'. Because no, it's not going to work that way. I went from an 8800 GT (512MB) which lasted for years, to my 6950 (@6970 spec) which has also lasted for years. I purchased that thing close to it's release date. This is going to be a card which I'll be rocking for likely 5 years.

I currently game on a 60" 1080P TV. I don't see myself moving to 4K in the next several years either.

1070? Well, at the stupid prices they still are, why not spring for a 1070 Ti? Hell, you can find 1080's right at $500 some times, which is an even smaller bump up.

Or Vega 56? I see it trades blows with the 1070. Win some, lose some. And it really wins big in a game I love to play, Total War Warhammer - but who wants to buy a card for ONE game? But no AIBs with better coolers, so it's going to be louder. It's drawing more power and dumping more heat. No, it's not a BIG deal but it is a consideration.

So yea, this is about as crazed as I've been when making a decision about a PC upgrade. I've got cash, and the budget slowly climbs up the more Windows licenses I sell (see FS thread). Honestly, if I could get the 1070 in the $350 range where they should be, I would be happy. If I see the 1080's coming down into the high $400's, I might spring for that. Maybe a 1070 Ti in the $430 range.

Ungh. I guess this is more of a rant than anything. Prices are whacked because of mining demand. Even if they're not still all going to those buyers, their impact on the market hasn't completely faded. And above all things, I like to know I'm getting a good value. That I guess is what's bugging me more than anything.

In other thoughts, I've rocked the 6950 this long, why not wait until the next generation and see how it shakes things up? I never for a moment had buyers remorse when I got it. But I just have have this feeling that no matter what I chose this time around I'm going to regret it for one reason or another.

Basically it is a tough choice at times between a 1070 and Vega 56 or 1070 ti but any would be a better VR option over the 1060/RX 580. Between the 1070 and vega 56 I would go for whichever is cheaper. The 1070 uses less wattage and neither beats the other in enough games to declare a true winner. In that kind of case price wins out.

If going VR then there really isn't an argument to be found for anything but a 1070 or 1070 ti.

IMO buy the fastest Intel CPU and fastest EVGA GTX card you can possibly afford. They will have excellent resale value and are most in demand on the used market and EVGA warranty follows the item, not the buyer(s). Don't skimp on the memory speed and quality (might want to make sure it's on the mobo's compatibility list). If you OC get a premium mobo (read the reviews/Youtube videos/forum comments). For all but maxed out OC'ing the Noctua NH-D15 seems to be the air cooler of choice for the 7700k. EKWB makes a few very high quality (thought aluminum) liquid cooling kits worthy of any OCer's consideration. I built my own bench platform out of wood and will put the $$$ saved towards the hardware. Maybe can't use an open platform case if you have kids and definitely not, if you have a cat OR ... hang it on a wall like you can do with the ThermalTake P5 open case

Last edited:
Nice snag. I was on the fence for those but I read that card has some cooling issues along with Throttling for some. Coming from a 290 Blower style card I want no part in noisy fans, high temps or throttling issues. Thus I got a SC EVGA 1070ti.

I haven't even gotten any monitoring/overclocking tools installed yet. It's night and day on the few games I've had time to play so far - Dying Light, Total War: Warhammer, and it's just as smooth but much more capable with higher settings in War Thunder. I'm CPU limited now, but still very very happy with the results.

Thanks for keeping us posted on the sale. I was worried it was a scam when he first listed them but seeing you post about receiving yours gave me the confidence to buy the last one! :dance:

Back