I can't decide : HIS 1600XT vs. XFX 6800GS vs. Sapphire X800PRO

Hmmm.... I'd go with the 6800GS.
SM3...Its nice and new GPU. Pretty good benchmarks.

X800Pro could prob overclock quite a wee way. But no SM3
X1600XT = well I think its being compared to a 6600GT lately.

[YF] Daniel said:
Is the X1600XT SM3?

Anything else you would recommend for around $200.

Yes it is...But like I said its being compared to a 6600GT. Remember a 6200 has SM3 =P
And the very very best for $200 is the 6800GS...So I'd pull the trigger =P

i would go 6800 gs, i just recently got one, very very nice performance in all modern games. Best midrange you can buy atm.

I would go Sapphire X800GTO2. Rapes the 6800GS, especially at higher resolutions. Pwns the X1600 too. :D

NickS said:
I would go Sapphire X800GTO2. Rapes the 6800GS, especially at higher resolutions. Pwns the X1600 too. :D

Only if it soft mods. the x800xl is also faster than the gs and if you want to volt mod it hits high speeds too

I would either go for a cheap ATi solution(like 50 bux less than the 6800GS) or a 6800GS if you have the money. I think the 50 bux extra is worth it though. The 6800GT is kinda like the 9700/9800 ATi series used to be. Everything will be programmed to run decently on them. Anything less and you won't be satisfied. Since the 6800GS is based off the 6800GT it should be a safer bet for future games. I dont think a x1600xt will hold up as well in future games.

OMG GET NVIDA CUZ IT PWNS ATI!!!11!

no really get the 6800gs, it has sm3 and the performance, whereas x16k lacks in performance and the x800pro lacks in features

Is there a reason you're not going gto2? If you get a VIVO version (newegg, like $205) it comes with all 16 pipes unlocked, and you can oc it to 850xt pe speeds.. the card (even if you get a bum or don't like to run it that hot) would dust the others listed and is in the same price ballpark.

Borgschulze said:
Interesting.... but having SM3.0 helps ALOT with HDR does it not?

Um depends. Some forms of hdr need sm 3, others dont. HL2 Lost Coast does hdr without sm3

no form of HDR requires SM3.0, its all hardware support, or the DX9 variant of HDR, the best card you can get for sub$200 is the X800XL, and the next is hte X1600, with the GS failling in between the two, the SM3.0 factor should NOT be included in the decision to buy these cards, its just all marketing right now

Trimlock said:
the SM3.0 factor should NOT be included in the decision to buy these cards, its just all marketing right now

Eh, I a handful of these threads specifically mentioning Age of Empires 3 and an X800GT)2 and a 6800GS. As we've seen recently in a SM2.0b and SM3.0 comparison, AoE3 doesn't quite agree with SM2.0b and SM3.0 compliant cards look considerably better.

On occasions like those, I'd zero-in on SM2.0/3.0 usage; otherwrise I'd agree.

For gaming the X16 lacks alot behind the GS but i don't know about the X800 and just got a GS awhile ago and love it :D BF2 rules :eek:

arabdon1203 said:
Um depends. Some forms of hdr need sm 3, others dont. HL2 Lost Coast does hdr without sm3
HL2 HDR (DoD:S and HL2:LC) looks like ass compared to "real" HDR like Far Crys HDR. HL2 HDR is map specific feature and it doesn't work in maps that have no built in HDR support. Good thing with HL2 HDR is the ability to use AA with it and run it on SM2.0 cards. But it doesn't cause nearly as big "wow z0mg it looks great" effect as Far Crys HDR. HL2 HDR looks like dynamic brightness changing and glowing textures when viewed from certain point.

aop said:
HL2 HDR (DoD:S and HL2:LC) looks like ass compared to "real" HDR like Far Crys HDR. HL2 HDR is map specific feature and it doesn't work in maps that have no built in HDR support. Good thing with HL2 HDR is the ability to use AA with it and run it on SM2.0 cards. But it doesn't cause nearly as big "wow z0mg it looks great" effect as Far Crys HDR. HL2 HDR looks like dynamic brightness changing and glowing textures when viewed from certain point.

Hl2 Lost coast > Far cry :p

Would a Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ bottleneck any of these cards?

How much RAM should I get? I have 512MB(2x256MB) Kingston ValueRAM, soon to be 1GB(2x512MB) of Crucial Ballistix.

Will the Ballistix be suffent.

[YF] Daniel said:
Would a Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ bottleneck any of these cards?

How much RAM should I get? I have 512MB(2x256MB) Kingston ValueRAM, soon to be 1GB(2x512MB) of Crucial Ballistix.

Will the Ballistix be suffent.
A 3200+ wouldn't bottleneck any video card, much less a 6800GS. Drop the crucial ballistix and pick up 2gb of crucial value or that cheap 2gb set of performance gskill if your going to overclock.

If you know how to handle a soldering iron, can find all kinds of VR's, or love overclocking, then you should go with the X800PRO. Three simple vmods can get you to amazing performance gains with the X800PRO (probably 700MHz core). Watch out for heat though, I fried my X800XTPE @ 1.85V Vcore.

Otherwise, if you'd like simple performance, go with the X1600XT, its the perfect midrange card. Using the 5.13 drivers you get amazing video display stuff and beautiful DVD playback, I would know because I have an X1300. However, make sure the X1600XT you are buying is the newer 256Bit model, if not then you should go for te 6800GS...

The 6800GS is widely recognized as the best card for $200. You could get a GTO and overclock/mod it...but even then you're still stuck with PS2.0... The X1600XT is seriously limited by only having 4 texture units...and the X800Pro is all around slower has less features than a GS.

The X800XL is a bit faster than a GS running stock...but since the XL's core is 110nm it doesn't overclock very well at all, whereas the GS has some headroom...

All these cards are decent, but I think the GS is the better of the three...

mtts_ultra said:
If you know how to handle a soldering iron, can find all kinds of VR's, or love overclocking, then you should go with the X800PRO. Three simple vmods can get you to amazing performance gains with the X800PRO (probably 700MHz core). Watch out for heat though, I fried my X800XTPE @ 1.85V Vcore.

Otherwise, if you'd like simple performance, go with the X1600XT, its the perfect midrange card. Using the 5.13 drivers you get amazing video display stuff and beautiful DVD playback, I would know because I have an X1300. However, make sure the X1600XT you are buying is the newer 256Bit model, if not then you should go for te 6800GS...

there is only 1 x1600xt, and its 128bit.

^eMpTy^ said:
The 6800GS is widely recognized as the best card for $200. You could get a GTO and overclock/mod it...but even then you're still stuck with PS2.0... The X1600XT is seriously limited by only having 4 texture units...and the X800Pro is all around slower has less features than a GS.

The X800XL is a bit faster than a GS running stock...but since the XL's core is 110nm it doesn't overclock very well at all, whereas the GS has some headroom...

the 6800gs is also made on a 110nm process

^eMpTy^ said:

its not the process that doesnt let it oc, but the lack of voltage :D ;)

-=JacKaL=- said:
the 6800gs is also made on a 110nm process

not only the same process...but also the same fab...I suppose it's because XLs are older and the process has matured since then...cuz as of right now...they are shipping GS's factory overclocked to 485Mhz...and I have yet to see an XL overclock past 470Mhz...

pricing is interesting as well...XLs are all over the map, so are GS's...personally I would prefer to have the better featureset of the GS...and considering it's cheaper, and quite close the XL performance-wise with better overclocking headroom...the GS still gets my vote...

Back