I can use some help from any experts please...

Nightwing749

Limp Gawd
Recently I fried my beloved Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard. I tried the RMA deal but it's out of warranty and they won't fix or replace it. The only response I've received from them was "If your board is out of warranty and over the 3 years we cannot do anything about it." Here's my problem, I was happy with my computer and don't want to spend alot of money upgrading. I tried searching but I can't find anyone selling my board because it was likely discontinued. The box says Chipset 875P and I can't find any other brand name with that matching number. Everything else in my computer is working fine (including the chip). Will any of the newer model boards support my current Intel chip?

ABIT-IC7 MAX3
P4 D 875
2.53ghz @ 3.02ghz
2gig Corsair Twinx 3200
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
920gigs of hdd sata

It looks like to me you need a motherboard which supports Pentium 4 Socket 478.

I can't currently remember what chip it is and I'm at school right now. I do know it's a 2.53ghz with 533FSB and I'll find out the exact chip number when I get home tonight.

It sounds like you have a 533mhz bus CPU. Pentium 4 Socket 478.

In terms of a replacement board, your best bet is either FS/FT threads in forums or ebay or something like that. You have an Intel 875P chipset, however that CPU will also work on an 845PE/865PE chipset also (these are easier to find). The biggest problem you're going to have is with your SATA controllers since these boards were out before they were standard, so they were only included as a 3rd party controller chip on the more expensive boards (like your IC7). So you might have to get a cheap board and then a cheap PCI based SATA card or something like that. That route might be cheaper in the long run anyway because the high end s478 boards are expensive.

Here's a short list of replacement boards that would be closest to what you have now:
Abit IC7-Max3 (obviously ;) ) (875P)
Abit IC7-G (875P)
Abit IS7 (865PE)
Abit AI7 (865 PE)
Abit IT7-Max2 (845PE)
Asus P4P800 (any variant) (865PE)
Asus P4C800 (875P)

Back