I am bored

maverick786us

2[H]4U
With no news on next generation cards........
With recent news on AMDs top level management shuffle.......
With news of people moving into tablets and mobiles resulting in desktop dying.......

My dream for a perfect rig that can run games @ 2560 X 1600 is slowly getting shattred. Even Haswell is won't come before may. All 30 inch displays are heaters with no news on 30 inch LEDs

What is the best suggestion for me?:confused:

looks @ OP sig rig with 2005 specs :p (hee hee good thread m8) Maybe if you upgraded your rig once in awhile the industry would have more funds @ its disposal ;)

You could always upgrade to 2009 or so specs, b4 you start bitching about 2013 tech. Just my opinion tho, I could be in the wrong but I doubt it.

lol....

Yeah, upgrade your computer if youre bored. An E8400 is freaking old. Pick up an SSD while youre at it. :)

I've been looking for a perfect ring to game @ 2560 X 1600 resolution since SB came into horizon. But every year a next generation CPU and Card disappoints me.

1) Current generation IB has heating issue.
2) Current generation GPUs are still incompatible to play games like CRYSIS @ 2560 X 1600 resolution at higher settings. Using SLI or Xfire again will create a lot of heat.
3) Current generation 30 inch displays more serve as heaters. Still haven't seen any 30 inch LED.

I have the money but don't want to go spend my money for something that will not solve my purpose, thats why I didn't upgrade.

You've set your expectations high enough that you'll always have an excuse not to upgrade, and I think you pretty much know this.

You want hardware that's more powerful than the most powerful hardware available and low heat output on top of that. If that's what's going to make you "not bored" I'm afraid you'll be bored for a very very long time.

I've been looking for a perfect ring to game @ 2560 X 1600 resolution since SB came into horizon. But every year a next generation CPU and Card disappoints me.

2) Current generation GPUs are still incompatible to play games like CRYSIS @ 2560 X 1600 resolution at higher settings. Using SLI or Xfire again will create a lot of heat.
3) Current generation 30 inch displays more serve as heaters. Still haven't seen any 30 inch LED.

I have the money but don't want to go spend my money for something that will not solve my purpose, thats why I didn't upgrade.

The newer 79XX and 6XX cards from Nvidia do not produce anywhere near the amount of heat that the GTX 480 did..You could easily get a pair of 660TI(3GB) or a pair of 670s and they would handle 2500x1400/1600 pretty well without a ton of heat...

As far as modern cpus go, with the advent of large AIO units, they really don't produce much heat either and its easy handled...

On the last point, you have me, I haven't seen any 30" LED backlit LCDs..I just "make do" with my 42" LED LCD (S-IPS panel) @ it's lowly 1080P:p...

Heat, heat heat... do you live in a volcano? Is the heat from current gen tech really that bad that you can't handle it? I think current equipment would run even cooler than what you are using and thus you would have a performance increase and heat decrease by upgrading.

You've set your expectations high enough that you'll always have an excuse not to upgrade, and I think you pretty much know this.

You want hardware that's more powerful than the most powerful hardware available and low heat output on top of that. If that's what's going to make you "not bored" I'm afraid you'll be bored for a very very long time.

What to do? What options do I have? Either I can..............

1) Lower down my expectation and fo for 27 inch displays having resolution 2560 X 1440. Once next generation CPU and GPU come out within 4-6 month which might be capable of gaming at 2560 X 1600 resolution, feel regretted of current purchase.

2) Wait till 6 months and see what the next generation brings?

Last edited:
You've waited several years already. What you want will not exist in 6 months.

AMD isn't releasing any new cards in 2013, nVIdia is releasing the Titan soon and with nothing to compete against it for at least the rest of the year, it is unlikely they will cannibalize their own hardware.

On top of that you want something MORE powerful with a small thermal footprint. You'll be lucky if that happens in 6 years, much less 6 months.

Your 2 options are to lower your expectations or make friends with the very real possibility you'll never upgrade.

The newer 79XX and 6XX cards from Nvidia do not produce anywhere near the amount of heat that the GTX 480 did..You could easily get a pair of 660TI(3GB) or a pair of 670s and they would handle 2500x1400/1600 pretty well without a ton of heat...

As far as modern cpus go, with the advent of large AIO units, they really don't produce much heat either and its easy handled...

On the last point, you have me, I haven't seen any 30" LED backlit LCDs..I just "make do" with my 42" LED LCD (S-IPS panel) @ it's lowly 1080P:p...

lol looks like a good alternative. I wish those 42inch LED TVs had 1600P resolution

Heat, heat heat... do you live in a volcano? Is the heat from current gen tech really that bad that you can't handle it? I think current equipment would run even cooler than what you are using and thus you would have a performance increase and heat decrease by upgrading.

Its not bed people always want a niche hardware that yields good perfomance with less heat and TDP.

It might be difficult for me to explain. Take an example an example GTX 480 might perform better than 5870 but the enourmous amound of heat it generates and the amount of TDP it takes isn't worth the extra 5% extra perfomance it generated over 5870. The same implies for current generation cards when used in X-fire / SLI mode.

You've waited several years already. What you want will not exist in 6 months.

AMD isn't releasing any new cards in 2013, nVIdia is releasing the Titan soon and with nothing to compete against it for at least the rest of the year, it is unlikely they will cannibalize their own hardware.

On top of that you want something MORE powerful with a small thermal footprint. You'll be lucky if that happens in 6 years, much less 6 months.

Your 2 options are to lower your expectations or make friends with the very real possibility you'll never upgrade.

Its like every time a new generation comes I read the review, feel disappointed and wait for next generation. But I've waited enough. If I am convinced that for another 2-3 years no hardware will come to gaming at 1600P then I will go for 1440P

maverick786us: I wasn't saying it was bad, if I came across that way or as if I were being rude then my sincerest apologies. Perhaps I could have skipped the volcano comment, my point that current generation hardware yields better and generates less heat is what I really was trying to get at. Some older (even not that much older) computers could easilly dual-purpose as space heaters, especially with some of the video cards that were out pre geforce 500 series. Older they are starting with the 9000 series was it? the hotter they were. Still each generation was better than the last both in heat generation and performance. (with some exceptions of course)

And if heat were not an issue then watercooling would not be so appealing to so many people... however I did not feel that would be good to question in the current situation, if you are looking for a cooler system I am sure you have already looked into options such as that with current generation hardware. (Granted that could be assuming way too much)

Edited (correcting statements reference OP when maverick is in fact the OP)

P.S. Honestly, I would suggest upgrading... if something does pop up you can still resell for decent prices. Like that GTX 460 you are using... a gtx 660 ti or gtx 670 would show a huge difference for you performance wise and should run about the same or cooler heat wise.

Ivy bridge does not run as hot as you think. Keep the overclocks reasonable and it'll be fine.

Get a 7970 for 2560x1600 gaming. The higher bandwidth and VRAM will come in handy. If you want to go multi-card, 2x 670 4GB. SLi is still better than crossfire.

I would say we are already at the point for what you want. This current generation is actually very capable... the jump from last generation was big.

That being said, the E8400 is still a good processor for everything else but the newest games. I have a E7400 running in one of my systems and it works like magic with a SSD.

so you just sit around waiting year after year daydreaming about a rig to play games maxed on a 2560x1600 monitor that you dont even have? in the meantime you now have a pc that cant even smoothly play newer demanding games maxed out on your current 1680x1050 monitor. :confused:

maverick786us: I wasn't saying it was bad, if I came across that way or as if I were being rude then my sincerest apologies. Perhaps I could have skipped the volcano comment, my point that current generation hardware yields better and generates less heat is what I really was trying to get at. Some older (even not that much older) computers could easilly dual-purpose as space heaters, especially with some of the video cards that were out pre geforce 500 series. Older they are starting with the 9000 series was it? the hotter they were. Still each generation was better than the last both in heat generation and performance. (with some exceptions of course)

And if heat were not an issue then watercooling would not be so appealing to so many people... however I did not feel that would be good to question in the current situation, if you are looking for a cooler system I am sure you have already looked into options such as that with current generation hardware. (Granted that could be assuming way too much)

Edited (correcting statements reference OP when maverick is in fact the OP)

P.S. Honestly, I would suggest upgrading... if something does pop up you can still resell for decent prices. Like that GTX 460 you are using... a gtx 660 ti or gtx 670 would show a huge difference for you performance wise and should run about the same or cooler heat wise.

Apology not acepted :p lol (joking) You have a good point point. I should have explain it much better. Sorry about that

so you just sit around waiting year after year daydreaming about a rig to play games maxed on a 2560x1600 monitor that you dont even have? in the meantime you now have a pc that cant even smoothly play newer demanding games maxed out on your current 1680x1050 monitor. :confused:

The last time I played any game in my current rig was Crysis 2 last year. I am saving money to get a big upgrade.

But then I am an extravagant. Last year when I had money, somehow I could'nt get a 4GB version of GTX 680 so I changed my mind and purchased an iPad and a galaxy note for my wife. Now I have saved some money so another option I am thinking is should I get Hasewell with either GTX 680 superclocked 4GB version or 2 GTX 670s with Dell U 3014 which is an LED display having 1600P resolution and play games for couple of months and in case I find those cards to be incompitable then next will sell it untill next generation cards show up??

Last edited:
Why do you want a LED monitor? There is a reason there are not many 30" professional monitors with LED's. Because they are worse color wise than CCFL backlights.

Ivy bridge does not run as hot as you think. Keep the overclocks reasonable and it'll be fine.

I feel this is often forgotten, oftentimes on here with the way people talk about heat, you would think a chip at stock clocks would be capable of cooking a pizza.

Well I'm running 3 7970s in tri fire and don't notice the Heat, oh ya I don't complain either about not being able to run a game at certain resolutions ( I just throw money at it until it runs right ) so OP just sit on the sidelines with old Tech and procrastinate!

Quit complaining... Just put a 3570k under a hyper 212 and clock it at 4.5, it'll be enough for any game. As for saying games are incompatible with crysis... i have a 27 inch 1440 monitor and my two AIR COOLED 670 handle all the crysis franchise with ease, 60 FPS constant on ultra. This thread seems like you're just here to complain, becasue the reasons you've listed aren't real reasons.... Pick up an aftermarked cooled 7970 or 680, a 30 inch Catleap from Ebay, and a z77 board with a 3570k. Bam.

I've been gaming on my 2560x1440 screen for 2 years with no problems. Not sure what you're holding out for OP.

With news of people moving into tablets and mobiles resulting in desktop dying.......

My dream for a perfect rig that can run games @ 2560 X 1600 is slowly getting shattred. Even Haswell is won't come before may. All 30 inch displays are heaters with no news on 30 inch LEDs

I built the identical system in your signature in 2008, and at that time the parts were cheap because LGA 775 was on the way out, lol. Served me well until about 2 months ago though.

@OP
I read this thread, and your initial posting. I think I know what is going on. You're suffering from buyers anxiety. Even if money wasnt an issue you still will NOT stop suffering. You want the best and feel like it lets everyone down, but from the top of the mountain, everything looks "down" its hard to look up. I recently built what i thought would be my "dream rig" cost me around 5600 USD. It has barely been 6 months, and i am upgrading my i5 OC'd at 5.1Ghz to the i7 3770k (someone told me "hey why not i7" i said... no reason.. okay...) and since my 680 Signature 2+ (with backplate) Tri-SLI setup made me frown that each card had only 2GB of ram on it, i decided... why not 680 FTW+ 4GB editions... no reason not to right? ... Also why not upgrade to the latest motherboard, and add another reservoir, and while im at it, why not just build the exact computer i already have just with better equipment?

Now im finding myself looking at another 5600 rig (without shipping calculated in) wondering if in another 6 months im just going to do it again. I, however, only run 1 monitor at the moment. A 3d capable 27" 1080P asus monitor, but only used 3d once, and decided it wasn't for me.

I built this system (you should check out my build in the link) I am keeping the rig, and building a new from scratch.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1702192&highlight=
Once i finished the build, I ....
Ran CPU Benchmarks before and after overclock (minimum fun)
Ran quick overclock on video card and did some benchmarks (not much fun)
Overclocked the memory and re-ran the cpu and gpu benchmarks (oddly found results... not much fun)
Decided to post everything to HardForum and talk to people in my thread (Quick rush of fun then meh)
Downloaded Max Payne and ran at maximum settings it could go. (Was fun, played till last chapter then got bored)
(Oddly enough, played max payne on my laptop in a hotel 2 months later, WAY more fun cuz i was bored in a hotel, and the fps oddly didnt add or subtract from the "fun factor" like i thought it was going to. I was roped into believing FPS = Fun... oddly it had nothing to do with it at all)
I downloaded steam onto my new computer, (AFTER my raid built) and downloaded all 134 games (at that time) that i owned. I played about 3 of them to this date on that machine.

Conclusion - My 1200 laptop can be just as fun as my 5600 gaming rig, but for some reason, i now find myself dumping another chunk of money into a new build. All for about 10-13% increase. And im going to do it again (i think) in 6 months to a year. Why? Because i dont mountain climb, i hate running competitively, i abhor movie theaters, i cant make the gym last 6 hours a day, TV is boring and commercials ruin the tv watching experience anyways, Movies are lame these days cuz we've watched them all, and I already own every other console on the market and am disappointed in them. THIS is my "mountain climbing" or "movie theater". I do this for fun because I havent been able to find the same kind of fun in anything else yet. So until then... Heres the BETA of my new build (newegg link)
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21686845

I say beta because i am not 100% sold on the i7 3770k i may end up going for the top of line 6 core and using 4x 7970s but i am trying to find decent power / cooling solution for it. So relax OP and good luck.

@OP
I read this thread, and your initial posting. I think I know what is going on. You're suffering from buyers anxiety. Even if money wasnt an issue you still will NOT stop suffering. You want the best and feel like it lets everyone down, but from the top of the mountain, everything looks "down" its hard to look up. I recently built what i thought would be my "dream rig" cost me around 5600 USD. It has barely been 6 months, and i am upgrading my i5 OC'd at 5.1Ghz to the i7 3770k (someone told me "hey why not i7" i said... no reason.. okay...) and since my 680 Signature 2+ (with backplate) Tri-SLI setup made me frown that each card had only 2GB of ram on it, i decided... why not 680 FTW+ 4GB editions... no reason not to right? ... Also why not upgrade to the latest motherboard, and add another reservoir, and while im at it, why not just build the exact computer i already have just with better equipment?

Now im finding myself looking at another 5600 rig (without shipping calculated in) wondering if in another 6 months im just going to do it again. I, however, only run 1 monitor at the moment. A 3d capable 27" 1080P asus monitor, but only used 3d once, and decided it wasn't for me.

I built this system (you should check out my build in the link) I am keeping the rig, and building a new from scratch.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1702192&highlight=
Once i finished the build, I ....
Ran CPU Benchmarks before and after overclock (minimum fun)
Ran quick overclock on video card and did some benchmarks (not much fun)
Overclocked the memory and re-ran the cpu and gpu benchmarks (oddly found results... not much fun)
Decided to post everything to HardForum and talk to people in my thread (Quick rush of fun then meh)
Downloaded Max Payne and ran at maximum settings it could go. (Was fun, played till last chapter then got bored)
(Oddly enough, played max payne on my laptop in a hotel 2 months later, WAY more fun cuz i was bored in a hotel, and the fps oddly didnt add or subtract from the "fun factor" like i thought it was going to. I was roped into believing FPS = Fun... oddly it had nothing to do with it at all)
I downloaded steam onto my new computer, (AFTER my raid built) and downloaded all 134 games (at that time) that i owned. I played about 3 of them to this date on that machine.

Conclusion - My 1200 laptop can be just as fun as my 5600 gaming rig, but for some reason, i now find myself dumping another chunk of money into a new build. All for about 10-13% increase. And im going to do it again (i think) in 6 months to a year. Why? Because i dont mountain climb, i hate running competitively, i abhor movie theaters, i cant make the gym last 6 hours a day, TV is boring and commercials ruin the tv watching experience anyways, Movies are lame these days cuz we've watched them all, and I already own every other console on the market and am disappointed in them. THIS is my "mountain climbing" or "movie theater". I do this for fun because I havent been able to find the same kind of fun in anything else yet. So until then... Heres the BETA of my new build (newegg link)
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21686845

I say beta because i am not 100% sold on the i7 3770k i may end up going for the top of line 6 core and using 4x 7970s but i am trying to find decent power / cooling solution for it. So relax OP and good luck.

HaHa. You give me an inspiration. For me having a major upgrade every 6 months or an year is out of my budget. At best I can get a new high end rig every 2 years. But then selling your old stuff at reasonable price is the toughest challange I face.

My rig will play cry2 ultra single card pretty darn well. Few brief patchy points but usually around 50-60fps. For me over 30fps and high IQ is my goal so it is met.

Tested the samsung led panel side by side to the u2711 over night and it was no comparison for colour. Samsung won for text though. The LEDs they using at the time needed better deep red performance, 98cri with good 650nm+ output is available but they don't want to pay for it.

Are you for real dude? Any mid range rig out these days is light years ahead of your setup, let alone high end setups (even single GPU solutions).

If you're not trolling, then you have to understand that the way you think is very wrong and won't let you enjoy anything.

You can't set your standards and expectations way too high, technology always evolves but break through techs don't happen that often, If I was like "I'm not going to upgrade anything until games run like Pixar movies", then I'll probably be waiting decades till I play such thing while missing out on everything that's available currently, who knows if one will even be living that long.

WOW I think you need an attitude adjustment.
Yes AMD will not be putting out new cards in 2013. Nvidia is still going ahead with Titan. Who cares about haswell?? IVYBRIDGE works great and haswell will not be blowing ivybridge out of the water just like ivybridge didnt blow sandybridge out of the water. Get yourself a nice ivy bridge processor.

Yes sad people are stupid, moving to throw away tablets to play angry birds and other 8 bit games from yester year, is our society devolving that mucH? I HOPE NOT.
Desktops will not die and are still the best computers to be had, highly flexible and upgradeable, you cant even change the battery in a tablet and they are no more than toys really.
I fail to understand peoples obsession with them, I fail to understand why people would watch an hd movie on an iphone or a tablet, small children yes, the rest of us? WHY WHY WHY??

Current graphics cards can more than handle 2560 resolution, I have a gtx 670 and no problems with only one card so whats all the fuss and disappointment about?

I just bought an HPZR30W 30 inch monitor, does it run warmer? ofcourse it does, compared to other monitors, ITS BIGGER. Is it a heater? Hell no and I wish people would stop exaggerating and scaring people, one guy posted you need to have the air conditioner running with these 30 inch monitors, thats simply not true, yes they run warmer, too warm? NO. Mine doesnt run all that warm and 30 percent brigthness is high enough for me, run the panel at full brightness will be hotter? you bet, youll also burn the retinas in your eyeballs lol.

There is nothing wrong with a ccfl backlit lcd panel, led panels do not offer a high gamut of colors in the rgb space as compared to ccfl lighting which is why you dont see led's in high end 30 inch panels. This is a complete NON ISSUE.
Reminds me of people calling larger smartphones bricks, its too big its too heavy its like a brick........really? If a smartphone is too heavy someone needs to go to the gym lol.

Now to someone has had a smaller panel or an led panel then perhaps they think that ccfl lcd backlighting is way too hot, trust me it will not be heating up your entire room thats just utter nonsense from people who dont know any better or simply repeating the exaggerations of others.

Whats my point? You got no worries, ivy bridge cpu's, ati radeon 7950 and 7970, nvidia gtx 660, 670, 680.

Your dream hardware is already here and nothing earth changing to make you regret purchasing these items now over anything that may come down the road in 2013.

If I were you I would get to building son and enjoy!!!

Yes sad people are stupid, moving to throw away tablets to play angry birds and other 8 bit games from yester year, is our society devolving that mucH? I HOPE NOT.
Desktops will not die and are still the best computers to be had, highly flexible and upgradeable, you cant even change the battery in a tablet and they are no more than toys really.
I fail to understand peoples obsession with them, I fail to understand why people would watch an hd movie on an iphone or a tablet

How exactly are desktops flexible? Can you take them with you like a tablet or a smartphone? Will a desktop occupy your child or even yourself while you're sitting in the lobby of a doctors office or dentist? I can take payments from my customers with my smartphone OR my tablet thanks to Square D...How can I do that with my desktop? Tablets and Smartphones are far from toys!

The new AMD cards and Intel cpu will be out later this year. Wait until then to upgrade.

My 7970 overclocked at 1260/1660 @ 1440p destroys every game. OP you need to step up to the plate or GTFO.

You dont like heat?

Buy the good stuff and watercool it.....silence and cool.:D

The last time I played any game in my current rig was Crysis 2 last year. I am saving money to get a big upgrade.

But then I am an extravagant. Last year when I had money, somehow I could'nt get a 4GB version of GTX 680 so I changed my mind and purchased an iPad and a galaxy note for my wife. Now I have saved some money so another option I am thinking is should I get Hasewell with either GTX 680 superclocked 4GB version or 2 GTX 670s with Dell U 3014 which is an LED display having 1600P resolution and play games for couple of months and in case I find those cards to be incompitable then next will sell it untill next generation cards show up??

If you have played zero PC games in two years, you aren't even a gamer and there isn't much point in upgrading. You have missed tons of great games that would run ok on you PC.

Last edited:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027...on-and-quickly-clarify-2013-radeon-plans.html

"We will certainly have new [GPU] products in 2013."

The "no new product" rumor was a quote out of context from a japanese interview,
And heck even Kyle's comment on the thread should have told you otherwise:

Editting to add:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond

YES, but even if they do have new products they're just going to be respins of the existing GCN. The currently available process tech for TSMC is still 28nm, and Nvidia says no 20nm products until next year. TSMC has also not committed to 20nm until 2014:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/18/tsmc-28nm-process-2013/

So any performance increases we see from new AMD parts will come with them similar increases in power consumption. Not an enticement for a person like the OP who is infatuated with rthe best possible performance in a low-power package.

Best advice for the OP. Buy an SSD. Continue waiting. I only exceed 4 GB RAM usage when running virtual machines, not games so far.

If you have played zero PC games in two years, you aren't even a gamer and there isn't much point in upgrading. You have missed tons of great games that would run ok on you PC.

The reason I didn't played games for last 8 months was because I was fed up with low resolution of 1050P. I want a major upgrade and see the effect of gaming at ultra high 1600P

Back