Hz changes on power up pc

I had a similar problem from time to time but only when the computer was put to sleep, never from a normal power up.
Resuming from sleep would sometime lock me at 30Hz and there was nothing I could do to get back to 60 but to reboot the computer.
It would do this ±1 time out of 5 when resuming from sleep.
It was never an issue before I changed to a 1080ti so I assumed some bug in nvidia's drivers (had AMD before).
I stopped using sleep for a long time and never got that problem after that.
Now I've started to use sleep again from time to time in the past 3-4 months since I went from intel cpu to amd and I haven't encountered this issue again.
It could be that nvidia's driver got fixed for me in the meantime or it was something with my old motherboard that was acting up when paired with my 1080ti.

I doubt that this is gonna help you much but anyway that was my experience.

This is interresting indeed.
Do you have the same monitor pg27uq ? or any 4 k screen ?

Hmm i never ha dthis issue with my old 970 gtx sli system cards..i bought both the screen and the 2080 ti on same time, so i have no clue what is triggering this..but my guess is nvidia..or asus..or both :D

LG 34UM95 60Hz 3440x1440 (display port input), had it before the 1080ti with no issue on a 780ti and a Fury (air).
At one point I did add a 4k seiki 48" tv but by that time I wasn't using sleep anymore.

It sure is strange..your screen dont have g synch so we can rule that out..Mann i wish i knew exactly what the problem is related to.
I disabled Sleep mode and eco mode on my monitor and i even changed to another port of the 3 dp..they all do the same 30 or 86 hz bug,

Im gona reaseach further until i find out who im gona blame of either asus or nvidia or ms windows 10 :D

Still if anyone got this problem then post it in here and what you have tryed or did to eventualy fix it

This happened to me twice in the last few months, I just went into my monitor settings and press the Apply+Reboot where overclocking is and it fixes it.

This happened to me twice in the last few months, I just went into my monitor settings and press the Apply+Reboot where overclocking is and it fixes it.

I dont quite understand..you went in to tehe pg27uq options and made a reboot ? How ?
Or do you still have the predator ?

I mean did you just turn on/off your OC in th escreen menu and that fixed it ?
cuz i did something similar and it also worked for a bit.

What gfx card do you have and screen ?
2080 ti..what model ?

Please all post ur screen and gfx card model if you have this wierd 31-82 hz problem on reboots

I dont quite understand..you went in to tehe pg27uq options and made a reboot ? How ?
Or do you still have the predator ?

I mean did you just turn on/off your OC in th escreen menu and that fixed it ?
cuz i did something similar and it also worked for a bit.

What gfx card do you have and screen ?
2080 ti..what model ?

"Apply & Reboot" as if you're overclocking the display in the OSD, you don't actually need to increase the refresh rate. I'm assuming powering it down and draining the capacitors would do the same thing.

Predator X27
2080Ti

"Apply & Reboot" as if you're overclocking the display in the OSD, you don't actually need to increase the refresh rate. I'm assuming powering it down and draining the capacitors would do the same thing.

Predator X27
2080Ti

So we both have tryed the same problem once or more and both have different 4 k screen but 2080 rtx ti..what card model ?

Allright im gona show Nvidia this post and tell em about the problem..i want to end this issue

So it happend for people with different monitors and gfx cards...hmm could it be windows 10 related ?

Predator X27
2080Ti

That seems to also work..choose/disable OC and let the screen "reboot"

This problem was bumming me out today..i had 3 times after a reboot or after i quit a game then my hz was set to 82 hz...has anyone found a fix ?
Im close to buying a 2 k monitor and forget about this unstable 4k crap..or just blow the dust of my old samsung 60 hz monitor 27" and use that...

Has anyone else had this problem with the Hz change at random times when the screen refresh or rebooting pc ?

Nvidia support has lvl 2 agents on this case now,
So i cant wait until we fix this

Today when i powered up my pc and booted up win10. Then right after i could see the desktop then i noticed my monitor was blinking black once more like it was refreshing it self.
And i could see my hz was changed to 82 hz 8 bpc and HDR was disabled.

Then i rebooted again and this time the monitor dident blink another time and my current settings with 98 hz 10 bpc + HDR was back.

So it was like this forced extra blink or refresh update was taking over my current settings...So i find it strange why my monitor sometimes blinks black right after i load win10 and enter the desktop.

I'd find out the full specs from everyone thats having this issue.. wonder if it's the mb. Your all using different GPU and monitors.

I got a Asus rog formula IX

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/

The only thing we got same of is Nvidia chipset

I was promised to hear from lvl 2 Agents from Nvidia when they have something for me.
But that was a week ago, so i doubt and will prolly RMA this card so Nvidia can have it back and test it.

Its completly random here..most times i boot up on 82 hz and in worst case i have a boot up on 30 hz an di cant choose any higher hz until i reboot or reset the monitor in the OSD..

Its starting to get annyoing..

Last edited:
I have a pg27uq and a gigabyte 2080 rtx to auros
And i have this problem when i reboot my pc or powers it on..
Then its random chance if the hz and bpc has changed to 82 hz or 30 hz 8 bpc with 4.2.2 and HDR is disabled.

Going from 98 hz 10 bpc 4.4.4 with HDR

I tryed to reinstall win 10 and installed Nvidia drivers. then i tryed to reboot several times to trigger the problem.
But this time it stayed on the given 98 hz 10 bpc 4.4.4.

Then i installed Asus aura and Trident z royale from G skill..and right after a rreboot then my hz was set to 82 and 8bpc 4.2.2
After another reboot it was set to 30 hz 8 bpc 4.2.2 HDR disabled..very laggy.

So i uninstalled asus aura and Trident z royale and deleted everyfile i could find from these programs. I also removed the gfx card and installed it again.
Then i rebooted over 20 times in a row and the hz was still on 98 with 10 bpc 4.4.4. with HDR like i choosed in the start.

I even had my gfx card for RMA to get another card and the problem was the same..so my guess is that somehow this RGB program messes up my nvidia settings
and i have a theory it is about this file "AacSetup.exe" since both programs installs it.

So its like this..Do i need to controle the colours of my hardware and deal with a random hz mode or i can choose to live with rainbow mode on my hardware.
It is basicly my ramm and motherboard that needs to be controled with aura or trident z royale.

But since the hz rate changes random within 5-10 reboots and it dosent change after 25 reboots with these programs uninstalled, then i call RGB bull**** !

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same problem on my Acer Xb273kp. If i turn off DP deep sleep it is fine, but then fan is always on.

I have a pg27uq and a gigabyte 2080 rtx to auros
And i have this problem when i reboot my pc or powers it on..
Then its random chance if the hz and bpc has changed to 82 hz or 30 hz 8 bpc with 4.2.2 and HDR is disabled.

Going from 98 hz 10 bpc 4.4.4 with HDR

I tryed to reinstall win 10 and installed Nvidia drivers. then i tryed to reboot several times to trigger the problem.
But this time it stayed on the given 98 hz 10 bpc 4.4.4.

Then i installed Asus aura and Trident z royale from G skill..and right after a rreboot then my hz was set to 82 and 8bpc 4.2.2
After another reboot it was set to 30 hz 8 bpc 4.2.2 HDR disabled..very laggy.

So i uninstalled asus aura and Trident z royale and deleted everyfile i could find from these programs. I also removed the gfx card and installed it again.
Then i rebooted over 20 times in a row and the hz was still on 98 with 10 bpc 4.4.4. with HDR like i choosed in the start.

I even had my gfx card for RMA to get another card and the problem was the same..so my guess is that somehow this RGB program messes up my nvidia settings
and i have a theory it is about this file "AacSetup.exe" since both programs installs it.

So its like this..Do i need to controle the colours of my hardware and deal with a random hz mode or i can choose to live with rainbow mode on my hardware.
It is basicly my ramm and motherboard that needs to be controled with aura or trident z royale.

But since the hz rate changes random within 5-10 reboots and it dosent change after 25 reboots with these programs uninstalled, then i call RGB bull**** !

I started having this issue on my PG27UQ occasionally. If I go into Windows display settings and toggle the HDR option it will eventually fix itself. Most I had to do this so far was clicking it 4 times. I have a feeling it's something funky with the G-SYNC FPGA since it replaces the monitor's scalar, and it is falling back to DisplayPort 1.2 for some reason. If you don't have HDR on your monitor try going into the NVIDIA control panel and switching between "default" and "NVIDIA" color.

I started having this issue on my PG27UQ occasionally. If I go into Windows display settings and toggle the HDR option it will eventually fix itself. Most I had to do this so far was clicking it 4 times. I have a feeling it's something funky with the G-SYNC FPGA since it replaces the monitor's scalar, and it is falling back to DisplayPort 1.2 for some reason. If you don't have HDR on your monitor try going into the NVIDIA control panel and switching between "default" and "NVIDIA" color.

I do have HDR on my monitor but i never activate it. Should i still set it to NVIDIA color?

I do have HDR on my monitor but i never activate it. Should i still set it to NVIDIA color?
I'd leave it on default so it plays nice with Windows HDR. My suggestion on flipping the switch back and forth was to get the correct bandwidth and allow the supported refresh rates to show up.

I've got an Acer X27P + Titan RTX (new system) and I MIGHT be having a similar problem. This happened after changing the scaling option to "Integer scaling" in Nvidia control panel and rebooting (the monitor refresh rate was set to 81 or 82Hz and HDR mode was off). One more reboot fixed the problem. I'll have to see if this will repeat itself.

Back