Hyper 212+ Orientation

lil layzie

Gawd
Would it make a difference if the heat sink was mounted in the north/south (fan pushing air to top of case) orientation vs. the standard west/east (fan pushing air to back of case) orientation?

I'm just trying to get an idea before my parts arrive. Does it even make a difference at all?

Parts to be used:
HAF-X case
Asus P8Z68-V Pro (All 4 dimm slots are going to be occupied)
G.Skill Ripjaw X

Not sure how much difference it's going to make but I'd saying blowing it upwards (if you have top exhaust) because HOT air rises.

Last time I tried this the Hyper 212 fan was pretty damn close to my GPU (PCI-E 16xslot). Assuming the fan is facing downward and blowing upward through the heatsink and to your top exhaust.

Seems like after reading this, the heatsink performed slightly better when turned to the north/south orientation.

Anyone here have personal experience with their Hyper 212+'s?

i have mine from side to side not facing upwards and my cpu never gets to 70 degrees Fahrenheit Q9550 at 3.5ghz

Seems like after reading this, the heatsink performed slightly better when turned to the north/south orientation.

Anyone here have personal experience with their Hyper 212+'s?

When I clicked on "this" It sent me to something slightly irrelevant. Linked wrong?
I might try out North/South configuration with the build I am about to start in a week or two, as long as I have the room for it.

i've read articles that showed an up/down orientation produced slightly better results, but they were insignificant. i have a hard time believing it wasn't due to re-seating the HSF and possibly getting better contact the second time around. the advantage gained by natural convection is miniscule. i have my Hyper 212+ oriented side-to-side because i didn't want the intake fan inducting heat from my video cards (would be a pretty insignificant effect as well), but more than anything it just looks goofy to me in the up/down orientation. i say orient it whichever way you like.

When I clicked on "this" It sent me to something slightly irrelevant. Linked wrong?
I might try out North/South configuration with the build I am about to start in a week or two, as long as I have the room for it.
I think I copied the wrong link. But after a few clicks, it takes you to the part of the article where the reviewer tested the heat sink normally and then tested it again with the heat sink turned yielding slightly better better temps.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1643/7/

Question about the paste that comes with the 212+. Is it sufficient enough for OC'ing a i7-2600k? I'm looking to try to reach 4.5Ghz.

Question about the paste that comes with the 212+. Is it sufficient enough for OC'ing a i7-2600k? I'm looking to try to reach 4.5Ghz.

Works perfectly fine. It's no Arctic Silver 5, but for 4.5 GHz it's plenty good enough. I idle around 35 celcius with that same cooler on the 2500k using the stock paste.

i have to say the 212+ is a great heatsink. like the poster above me i idle around 33-35C in a 78F room and load 65-68C with my 2500K. got mine at microcenter for 24.99 for that price its unbeatable really.

212+ is really good. I've used one in a Lian Li A05 build. It got better temps east/west orientation than north/south.

As others mentioned, it really depends on the airflow dynamics of your case. In the case of an A05, you have an intake fan feeding the heatsink if you're east/west... So naturally that's the better orientation.

i use north/south in an effort to suck heat away from the video card and help move it through the the PSU

Since the fan on the heat sink is sleeve bearing, is it true that mounting the fan in any orientation other than vertical will decrease its life expectancy?

I'm about to add another fan for a push/pull configuration and this question just ran through my mind.

I've used a few of these coolers they are good and great value. I tend to have them facing the rear case fan so blowing east to west, but I doubt it would make much difference facing up.

The fan is the weaker part of this cooler it's not that quiet (it's pretty quiet at lower speeds) I replaced all the ones I have fitted you can dig around for fans. I put a Noctua on some higher spec builds and for others I've tried a few Gelid ones (more cost effective)

CM describe the fan as longer life sleeve bearings so you can make of that what you want! Obviously premium fans such as Noctua will greatly outlast sleeve bearing ones.

Back