• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HX520 or HX620?

kajo

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
1
Parts to order:
Intel E8400
Asus P5K-E/Wi-Fi
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR II 800
Zotac 8800GT AMP

2 HDDs (2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB, 1 WD Cavier SE 250GB 7200RPM)
1 DVD-RW

I orginally had the HX620 in my shopping cart but decided to go with the HX520 to keep it in budget. I was just wondering if should go back to the HX620 to be safe or am I fine with the HX520?
 
The 520HX will be fine. However if you're willing to buy elsewhere and don't care about modular cables, I recommend getting the Corsair 750TX for only $100:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $99
 
It depends on what is important to you. If you plan on later putting in some high drain devices then maybe the 750TX would be better, but if you are standing pat for a while and modular is important than the 520HX is cheaper and nicer in the case. CC here has it for 89bucks after rebate. So if you are Canadian it's actually cheaper here than on new egg.
 
the 520 would do it for you but as said... if you dont need the modular cables the 750tx is the best buy on a power supply still.. i bought one and its so far up my street theres no turning back. good job i have a v1000 case to hide all the extra cables in the bottom lol.
 
Don't get carried away - there was a review of a rig like yours on the Corsair 450. The only thing that is vaguely power hungry is the 8800.
 
I saw a review for those units not to long ago and heard they were fairly top of the line. All being because they are brand new and include a lot of good features, or something. Im sure the 520w would be fine but if you've got the cash, why not go for the 600w just incase you end up needing the power.
 
Being the 750W and the 520W are both more than capable to power the rig in question I would still have to say the only difference lies in priorities.

the 520 is quieter and is modular. The 750 is more powerful and will handle an upgrade to higher draw hardware better.
 
I've got a hx520 fs in the classifieds. I've switched my setup to a shuttle sx38p2 so I don't need it anymore. Its only a little over a month old.
 
Get the 520 for sure if you are at all interested in the modular cables. If you want to save some money like you mentioned, the Corsair 450 is also plenty for that system, $60. I do not see why you would drop another $40 for a 750TX that you "might" use later on.
 
I would have recommended the HX520, but the 620 is not really a huge amount more nowadays, so it is probably worth going for that anyway. But, if you can only really find a 520, that will be fine.
 
Back
Top